Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I’d maybe flip Thompson for Nylander. But Olofsson’s overall game still needs work. No need to call him up quite yet.

Without having watched a Rochester game, it seems odd to say Nylander over olofsson, when you are not impressed with Nylander’s game off the puck either, and Olofsson is riding at 2 ppg.

I wouldn’t mind them both staying down and letting Smith come up for the role available.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Without having watched a Rochester game, it seems odd to say Nylander over olofsson, when you are not impressed with Nylander’s game off the puck either, and Olofsson is riding at 2 ppg.

I wouldn’t mind them both staying down and letting Smith come up for the role available.
I’m basing it on the fact that he was basically the last cut and Taylor said he’s playing well. My thoughts don’t really matter when it comes to who is recalled. If I’m giving opinions on who the better player has been, easily Olofsson. But I think they’ll keep him down a bit longer.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I’m basing it on the fact that he was basically the last cut and Taylor said he’s playing well. My thoughts don’t really matter when it comes to who is recalled. If I’m giving opinions on who the better player has been, easily Olofsson. But I think they’ll keep him down a bit longer.

Ya, I’m not too worried about predicting who gets what. More interested in whose game looks the best. Good to hear Olofsson is crushing it offensively and not incompetent in his own end.

How has Asplund looked over his first couple weeks?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ya, I’m not too worried about predicting who gets what. More interested in whose game looks the best. Good to hear Olofsson is crushing it offensively and not incompetent in his own end.

How has Asplund looked over his first couple weeks?
Asplund looked better tonight than the previous games I’ve seen. Still needs a lot of work. Just needs to adjust. Not playing poorly, but he will definitely be much better come Christmas.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Love how Nylander is playing I really do this is the player we have wanted too see for a long time and we are finally starting to see him. I would still keep him in the AHL for at least the first 20 games and than I would bring him up

Reactions: Rasmi

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I was at this game and I am pleased to say that Nylander was fantastic. He's really turned it on this year. He was using his speed to get up in the play and generate chances, one of which leading to his goal. So happy to see him finally break through.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I was at this game and I am pleased to say that Nylander was fantastic. He's really turned it on this year. He was using his speed to get up in the play and generate chances, one of which leading to his goal. So happy to see him finally break through.

Ok but how was he away from the puck and was he a liability defensively?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s at a point per game with 4 goals and five assists which would get more attention if Olofsson, Pilut and Redmond weren’t destroying the league in disgusting fashion.

Reactions: Ralonzo and Dingo44

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'd like to know how that is a goal. Looked like the defenseman had possession when he shot it into the net. Should have triggered the penalty

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'd like to know how that is a goal. Looked like the defenseman had possession when he shot it into the net. Should have triggered the penalty
The rulebook mentions a player on the offending team having "control" of the puck. While that is somewhat ambiguous terminology, I don't think it's unreasonable to say a player doesn't have control of the puck when he immediately deflects it into his own net.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The rulebook mentions a player on the offending team having "control" of the puck. While that is somewhat ambiguous terminology, I don't think it's unreasonable to say a player doesn't have control of the puck when he immediately deflects it into his own net.
He didn't deflect it, that is not the right word to use. He shot it. The puck is sitting on the ice going away from the net and he pushes it into the goal. How is that deflect?

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Awesome to see Nylander doing well in the AHL. It still doesn't mean a lot but it was also ridiculous that people started getting low on him at his age.

I would hope Buffalo keeps him down for at minimum the first half of the season and let him build some real confidence at the pro level. Honestly, I wouldn't bring him up unless Mitts establishes himself as Nylander is going to need a good center to flourish. I don't think it would be a good idea to put him on Eichels line and subject Nylander to top shutdown units at this stage. Unless you can bring up Nylander into a reasonably productive situation, I think this season he would be best served in the AHL.

I know Buffalo fans are ready to turn the corner, but even if Buffalo sustains this success deeper into the season, there is no reason to rush these kids. You got to do whats absolutely best for the player right now as that is what is best for the team going forward.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He’s at a point per game with 4 goals and five assists which would get more attention if Olofsson, Pilut and Redmond weren’t destroying the league in disgusting fashion.

Fun watching those three Friday night v Utica. The game was exciting enough that even the other half says she would like to go to another Amerks game soon... win/win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad