Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Awesome to see Nylander doing well in the AHL. It still doesn't mean a lot but it was also ridiculous that people started getting low on him at his age.

I would hope Buffalo keeps him down for at minimum the first half of the season and let him build some real confidence at the pro level. Honestly, I wouldn't bring him up unless Mitts establishes himself as Nylander is going to need a good center to flourish. I don't think it would be a good idea to put him on Eichels line and subject Nylander to top shutdown units at this stage. Unless you can bring up Nylander into a reasonably productive situation, I think this season he would be best served in the AHL.

I know Buffalo fans are ready to turn the corner, but even if Buffalo sustains this success deeper into the season, there is no reason to rush these kids. You got to do whats absolutely best for the player right now as that is what is best for the team going forward.

I don’t know if he needs the entire first half. I think 20-30 games will be plenty for Nylander and if he stays at a point per game he will be fine. Like you mentioned and your right he needs a center too play with since he is that natural sniper like his brother but has come a long way with his two game play. But if we want him too be a 50+ point player year in and year out he will need too play with someone like Middlestadt or Eichel consistently. The good thing is he is proving he can be a point per game and consistent player in the AHL and if he can keep it up until Christmas he won’t need too stay in the AHL any longer

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Does anyone know if he stayed in Rochester again if his contracts would slide AGAIN? I wouldn’t think so but was just curious.

But having a 20yr old, top-10 Pick with 3yrs left on his ELC is a nice bonus. Especially with another expansion draft looming, I’d assume it’s one less guy we’d have to protect.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone know if he stayed in Rochester again if his contracts would slide AGAIN? I wouldn’t think so but was just curious.

But having a 20yr old, top-10 Pick with 3yrs left on his ELC is a nice bonus. Especially with another expansion draft looming, I’d assume it’s one less guy we’d have to protect.

Nope

Pekar and UPL are the only players who have signed contracts that are eligible to slide.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

ELC contracts are exempt and he should have one year left in 2020.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
How is he doin? I want him to do great so he gets put on the Swedish team with his brother.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I take the silence as "not good at all". Thats sad. I had high hopes on you! You brother to the most hated Leaf of the season...

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not at all.

14 points in 17 games so far this year.
Arguably the 4th best forward in the preseason for us.

Management is being patient in bringing him along, because our last dumbass gm rushed him into a league he wasn’t ready for. I think most fans in the know feel pretty good about Alex right now, and we’re waiting to see how this season plays out for him.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I take the silence as "not good at all". Thats sad. I had high hopes on you! You brother to the most hated Leaf of the season...

It's more like most on here don't watch Rochester games.

The ones that do say he's playing much better. Production says that as well.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
It's more like most on here don't watch Rochester games.

The ones that do say he's playing much better. Production says that as well.
Ok thanks , i hope to see him up with the big boys soon. But right now maby its best not to mess with whats working.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What is Alex's ETA in the NHL? 17 points in 21 games. Sabres leave him down there where the Amerks are having success. Being around a successful team is a good environment while being one of the team's leading producers is never a bad thing. But realistically, a farm team is supposed to supply the parent team with NHL ready talent. Interesting to see if Buffalo makes room for him if he is ready, or he spends the year in Rochester.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What is Alex's ETA in the NHL? 17 points in 21 games. Sabres leave him down there where the Amerks are having success. Being around a successful team is a good environment while being one of the team's leading producers is never a bad thing. But realistically, a farm team is supposed to supply the parent team with NHL ready talent. Interesting to see if Buffalo makes room for him if he is ready, or he spends the year in Rochester.

I'm curious as to that as well. They have a number of options for scoring line wingers now so there is less pressure there. Smith and perhaps Olofsson are in the mix. But his involvement/engagement are certainly better than before. It would be interesting to see if he had not been in Rochester for these last two years and was simply doing what he's doing this year as a first year player. I suspect the hype would be much stronger to get him in the lineup sooner rather than later.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm curious as to that as well. They have a number of options for scoring line wingers now so there is less pressure there. Smith and perhaps Olofsson are in the mix. But his involvement/engagement are certainly better than before. It would be interesting to see if he had not been in Rochester for these last two years and was simply doing what he's doing this year as a first year player. I suspect the hype would be much stronger to get him in the lineup sooner rather than later.

I sort of see the Kyle Connor development in Alex Nylander. I was high on both players in their respective draft years. Last year was a write off for Alex, he was hurt, and the Amerks were not very good. It's just too bad a year of development was wasted. This is almost like his first AHL year. I don't mind him getting a full year in the AHL, but if he is ready. The AHL is for supplying NHL talent to the Parent team. Alex has the talent, his preseason was good. His AHL year on paper looks good. I can see he and Mittlestadt developing into the Sabres future #2 line. Or 2 3rds of it. They had some chemistry in preseason. It took a freak injury to get Kyle Connor called up to the Jets last year, he never looked back. Hope it doesn't take this to call up Alex. He's definitely put his name back for discussion as one of the Sabres best prospects.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
It’s really a numbers game at this point. There are limited players that are able to be sent down without clearing waivers. Admittedly I haven’t watched Amerks games but @LetsGoAmerks is my go to here. Given he’s finally healthy and the Amerks are good there shouldn’t need to Be a rush to call him up. Seems like a prime candidate as the first call up if needed at forward.

I’m all for “keep the prospects in the farm as long as possible”. The goal should be to get players like Nylander (offensively focused) to dominate the AHL (or other lower levels) so they can step in and contribute offensively right away. IMO Nylander is the type of player that if he’s not generating consistent offense he’s going to disappear and be of negative value. I’m not sure a players development was ever hurt by spending an extra few months in the AHL.

Best case scenario is he continues to produce, earns an injury call up, and never looks back. That’s what we hoped for with Pilut too.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'm really hoping that Nylander makes it sooner or later, but I have to wonder if Olafsson isn't ahead of him in line to be called up.

Olafsson is nearly three years older, has been developing in the Sabres system longer, and as a goal-scorer he could really address some of the current needs on the Sabres roster (scoring on the PP and on 2nd-3rd lines).

Of the two wingers, I think I'd rather call Olafsson up sooner and let Alex percolate longer in Rochester, where I think he would derive a greater benefit.

Reactions: Gordo21 and Reddawg

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
I imagine Smith is probably ahead of him too, he's older and plays a game that's more suited to the Sabres bottom 6.

Nylander probably only gets a call if a top 6 forward is out for a few weeks or more

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I imagine Smith is probably ahead of him too, he's older and plays a game that's more suited to the Sabres bottom 6.

Nylander probably only gets a call if a top 6 forward is out for a few weeks or more
Maybe not even then, Sheary was out over a week and the team shifted TT into his role.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Botterill really doesn't like bring up the kids, however we really need some creativity on the wing. Outside of Skinner, Okposo and Reinhart we definitely could use a jolt of secondary scoring. I think part of the problem, is where do you play him. Our need right now for me is also an upgrade at C in the third spot primarily. We're not getting enough out of Larsson, Berglund, Sobotka offensively. While I like their secondary abilities, we do need some oomph coming out of the bottom six.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Larsson and Sobotka don’t have any offense to speak of to begin with, and Berglund is having a horrible time hitting the net. He gets good opportunities but misses wide or shoots it right into the goalie’s pads.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Botterill really doesn't like bring up the kids, however we really need some creativity on the wing. Outside of Skinner, Okposo and Reinhart we definitely could use a jolt of secondary scoring. I think part of the problem, is where do you play him. Our need right now for me is also an upgrade at C in the third spot primarily. We're not getting enough out of Larsson, Berglund, Sobotka offensively. While I like their secondary abilities, we do need some oomph coming out of the bottom six.

I can solve that. Alex Nylander played entirely on the Left Wing in his draft year. He was playing with McLeod and Bastian for the Steelheads. I got to see him often. He was the guy that made that line tick.

The beautiful thing about Nylander is he is quite capable of playing his off wing.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I can solve that. Alex Nylander played entirely on the Left Wing in his draft year. He was playing with McLeod and Bastian for the Steelheads. I got to see him often. He was the guy that made that line tick.

The beautiful thing about Nylander is he is quite capable of playing his off wing.

Right, I guess you move Sheary down to the third line.

Reactions: Mitts888

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad