Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Hopefully we can still fool some gm into giving us decent assets. Kinda over it at this point.
He is 20 years old. He still has lots of room to grow. Just ask other teams like Carolina and Philly who gave up to soon on their prospects/players.

That being said he played well enough iin preseason to make the roster. They didn't even give him a chance. Thanks Botts and Housley.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He is 20 years old. He still has lots of room to grow. Just ask other teams like Carolina and Philly who gave up to soon on their prospects/players.

That being said he played well enough iin preseason to make the roster. They didn't even give him a chance. Thanks Botts and Housley.

The only thing you seem to know about him is his age. There are plenty of 20 year old’s who deserve to be given up on. The two you mentioned are exceptions to the rule.

And no, he obviously didn’t play well enough to make the team - he isn’t even doing great in the minors.

Reactions: Fearnot

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The only thing you seem to know about him is his age. There are plenty of 20 year old’s who deserve to be given up on. The two you mentioned are exceptions to the rule.

And no, he obviously didn’t play well enough to make the team - he isn’t even doing great in the minors.
Huh? I said preseason. Do you even know how to read? Before you belittle my comment perhaps not just read but comprehend too.

You,"He is 20 and not in the NHL yet and even though it would be most prospects first year in the AHL throw him in the garbage"

Glad to see you would already throw Nylander away. Great GMing!

And actually no, they are not exception to the rule. College players don't even get to the NHL until 21-23. The only thing you seem to know is his age.

Neiderreiter had 1 goal and no assists in his first season. You probably threw him in the trash too. They are not exceptions to the rule.

What do you think the average age of an NHL rookie is? I guess you would throw most of them in the trash by 20.

Connolly, Bailey, Schenn, Neids just a few off the top of my head that struggled and became good players.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Huh? I said preseason. Do you even know how to read? Before you belittle my comment perhaps not just read but comprehend too.

You,"He is 20 and not in the NHL yet and even though it would be most prospects first year in the AHL throw him in the garbage"

And actually no, they are not exception to the rule. College players don't even get to the NHL until 21-23. The only thing you seem to know is his age.

Neiderreiter had 1 goal and no assists in his first season. You probably threw him in the trash too. They are not exceptions to the rule.

What do you think the average age of an NHL rookie is? I guess you would throw most of them in the trash by 20.

Connolly, Bailey, Schenn, Neids just a few off the top of my head that struggled and became good players.

The issue is Nylander hasn't improved (or barely improved on) his numbers from last year, even though the team is way better and he's not coming off an injury...and he's a year older.

The players you mentioned struggled in the NHL...Nylander is struggling in the AHL. Actually all 4 guys you listed had good numbers in the AHL...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It's not about whether he becomes an NHL player, he probably will. He isn't going to justify his draft status and won't become an impact FW. If there is a GM out there that still might bite on trading him for his fading impact FW potential, then I would prefer to make that happen asap. Before too long his unimpressive performance in Rochester will drop his trade value and the only thing to salvage from him will be as a 25 pt middle six FW in Buffalo.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I still see you talking about nothing but age - the only thing you seem to know about the player.

How about talking about what you see on the ice that still gives you hope? I’d genuinely be curious.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

We have heard he is young or injured so many times now, He isnt even impactful in roch let alone shown signs he will be a top 6 wing which we need. Point being its not about throwing him away, its about trying to salvage the most you can out of an 8th overall who is most likely gonna bust, before you "throw Nylander away"

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's not about whether he becomes an NHL player, he probably will. He isn't going to justify his draft status and won't become an impact FW. If there is a GM out there that still might bite on trading him for his fading impact FW potential, then I would prefer to make that happen asap. Before too long his unimpressive performance in Rochester will drop his trade value and the only thing to salvage from him will be as a 25 pt middle six FW in Buffalo.

I'm sure his trade value at the most is an early 2nd round pick or an equivalent struggling prospect.

I would rather just keep him and see if he turns it around.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I fear it already might be too late - word is out on AN. I’m hoping a nice point streak could generate some interest though. Here’s to hoping.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm sure his trade value at the most is an early 2nd round pick or an equivalent struggling prospect.

I fear it already might be too late - word is out on AN. I’m hoping a nice point streak could generate some interest though. Here’s to hoping.

Hoping for winning a Nylander trade is my coping mechanism.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

Yeah, who wants more 2nd's? you're right, we would just trade them for Deslauriers or Fasching

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Kills me every time I think of Sergachev.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I wonder what would have been if they started him up here instead at the beginning of the season.

He couldnt have possibly been worse than Thompson who still is too inconsistent to be an NHL regular.

I rather would have seen them calling up and sending down players who struggle and drag the team down instead of keeping the same rookies up no matter how bad they play.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

I still think he will be better offensively in NHL with players like Eichel, Skinner,Mitts, Reinhart, etc.He has gotten bigger better along the boards.Not giving up on him by a longshot

Reactions: Sabreality

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
It kills me that people think he still deserves a spot on the Sabres right now. He his producing .57oints per game in the AHL.... He is supposed to be an elite talent, and yet he is not producing in the AHL, yet people think he should be gifted a roster spot because he had a good preseason, on the heels of 2 mediocre years in the AHL.

I dont necessarily agree with Thompson's course of development, but Olofsson and Smith deserve shots on the Sabres. They too had good camps, and followed it up with good production in the AHL.... People are stuck on the idea of him being a top 10 pick so he MUST be good, "put him on the Sabres"... the same people were probably the same people clamoring for Grigorenko at 18 and 19....

Book it, Nylander will be Grigorenko 2.0 (although I'd hate to see it, thats what it's shaping up to be. People complain about his compete habit, just like Grigorenko)

Hope I am wrong, and I'll have my fork and knife ready to eat crow if I am wrong.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I’m not worried about him right now. He’s in the first year of his ELC. A year that should have been his rookie pro season. We have plenty of time to let him grow.

It’s also worth pointing that Nylander is only 20 and the other forward prospects outscoring/out producing him in Rochester are older.

CJ Smith (23/24yrs) -> 41gms 18g 23a 41pts
Olofsson (23yrs) ——-> 43gms 15g 23a 38pts
O’Regan (24/25yrs) -> 46gms 17g 13a 30pts

Nylander (20yrs) —-> 42gms 8g 16a 24pts
Asplund (20/21yrs —> 46gms 2g 13a 15pts

The one forward his age/draft year, Asplund, has fewer goals and points with a few more games played. He also has several years of pro hockey experience in Sweden. He’s not making a jump from juniors. I know he’s a different type of player but it helps give perspective on where Nylander is.

I’m hardly a Nylander fanboy. I’ve been beating up Murray for drafting him over Sergachev or even McAvoy. But I firmly believe we still have time to get answers with Nylander.

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
  • I’m not worried about him right now. He’s in the first year of his ELC. A year that should have been his rookie pro season. We have plenty of time to let him grow.
It’s also worth pointing that Nylander is only 20 and the other forward prospects outscoring/out producing him in Rochester are older.

CJ Smith (23/24yrs) -> 41gms 18g 23a 41pts
Olofsson (23yrs) ——-> 43gms 15g 23a 38pts
O’Regan (24/25yrs) -> 46gms 17g 13a 30pts

Nylander (20yrs) —-> 42gms 8g 16a 24pts
Asplund (20/21yrs —> 46gms 2g 13a 15pts

The one forward his age/draft year, Asplund, has fewer goals and points with a few more games played. He also has several years of pro hockey experience in Sweden. He’s not making a jump from juniors. I know he’s a different type of player but it helps give perspective on where Nylander is.

I’m hardly a Nylander fanboy. I’ve been beating up Murray for drafting him over Sergachev or even McAvoy. But I firmly believe we still have time to get answers with Nylander.
Hello Joshjull,

Yes, thank you for the context. I certainly agree with the age, and I acknowledge there is a lot of time for him to grow and we have his rights for a long time still.

I suppose, I think it's foolish for people to want him on the Sabres, when against lesser competition he is not producing well. Given the Sabres' shot at the playoffs, there are better options and players that have "earned" their spot by the way they played this year, the preseason, and last year (either in the AHL or SEL,), instead of earning it through their draft position.

My comparison to Grigorenko is in that fans have expectations bc of their draft position, what there skill set was supposed to be (both highend scorers) and may never pan out.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
It kills me that people think he still deserves a spot on the Sabres right now. He his producing .57oints per game in the AHL.... He is supposed to be an elite talent, and yet he is not producing in the AHL, yet people think he should be gifted a roster spot because he had a good preseason, on the heels of 2 mediocre years in the AHL.

I dont necessarily agree with Thompson's course of development, but Olofsson and Smith deserve shots on the Sabres. They too had good camps, and followed it up with good production in the AHL.... People are stuck on the idea of him being a top 10 pick so he MUST be good, "put him on the Sabres"... the same people were probably the same people clamoring for Grigorenko at 18 and 19....

Book it, Nylander will be Grigorenko 2.0 (although I'd hate to see it, thats what it's shaping up to be. People complain about his compete habit, just like Grigorenko)

Hope I am wrong, and I'll have my fork and knife ready to eat crow if I am wrong.
Grigorenko wasn't developed in Rochester and Nylander is. Huge difference.

People just don't have patience anymore. This team has been garbage for so long nobody wants to wait anymore, which is completely understandable.

davej0122

Jan 24, 2008
San Diego
Grigorenko wasn't developed in Rochester and Nylander is. Huge difference.

People just don't have patience anymore. This team has been garbage for so long nobody wants to wait anymore, which is completely understandable.
Yes, Grigs was not developed in Roch, but he did spend 25 games in the nhl at 18, and at age 19 he played 18 games in the NHL, which dwarfed (maybe) his development, similar to Nylander playing the AHL at 18 & 19 which maybe(likely) hurt his development.

Not only in rushed development, but the comparison in their skill set, and the comparison in fans expectations, I think will lead to comparable trajectory.

Again, hope I am wrong, don't rush him to the NHL until he EARNS it in his play, not just a couple weeks at a camp in September.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
If this organization never actually gives Nylander a chance to play with our skilled forwards for more than 3 games a season, that is an absolute failure. Please spare me the "he hasn't earned it" - he should have been on the team to start the year, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->