Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
A little good and bad today. Nice goal on the PP, but a horrific turnover that directly resulted in a goal. He’s not at all ready for the NHL.
He put up good numbers to end his AHL season last year. He looked pretty decent for the Sabres at the end of the season. He looked great in NHL preseason, and was one of our best forwards defensively. He's up to 5 points in 5 games this year in the AHL. At some point you have to realize he is a player who may always leave you wanting a bit more, but with his skill and newly added muscle he is not as far away from being an NHL player as you think. You can't deny he has looked better in the NHL than in the minors.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Listening to nylanders coach Love crush about him was refreshing besides some of the people on the board saying he’s still “lazy”

Reactions: Dingo44

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Listening to nylanders coach Love crush about him was refreshing besides some of the people on the board saying he’s still “lazy”
If you’re going to take my words, at least tag me. Anyway, he does play a lazy game and I absolutely won’t back off that comment. He can do good things on the ice with the puck offensively while still having lazy tendencies. For starters, Taylor is always positive about his players publicly. Even if what I say is accurate, he wouldn’t say it in public. He doesn’t always backcheck hard, he will make weak, irresponsible plays with the puck (see turnover Saturday that resulted in GA), will dog it back to the bench at the end of a shift, stands around and watches when he doesn’t have the puck. These are facts. It’s possible for a player to do good and bad things. Why do you think he’s still in the minors?

Also, I’ve said more than once he’s playing better this season. He looked better in the game I saw in Bridgeport versus opening weekend. But don’t even try to tell me he doesn’t have lazy aspects of his game.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
If you’re going to take my words, at least tag me. Anyway, he does play a lazy game and I absolutely won’t back off that comment. He can do good things on the ice with the puck offensively while still having lazy tendencies. For starters, Taylor is always positive about his players publicly. Even if what I say is accurate, he wouldn’t say it in public. He doesn’t always backcheck hard, he will make weak, irresponsible plays with the puck (see turnover Saturday that resulted in GA), will dog it back to the bench at the end of a shift, stands around and watches when he doesn’t have the puck. These are facts. It’s possible for a player to do good and bad things. Why do you think he’s still in the minors?

Also, I’ve said more than once he’s playing better this season. He looked better in the game I saw in Bridgeport versus opening weekend. But don’t even try to tell me he doesn’t have lazy aspects of his game.

This is what I’m talking about anything nice said about him you always turn into a negative like he hasn’t improved .

Coach says his whole game has improved and is a leader on the ice and transformed his game But you continue to be negative

Now I know why he had the A on his jersey

Reactions: Dingo44

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This is what I’m talking about anything nice said about him you always turn into a negative like he hasn’t improved .

Coach says his whole game has improved and is a leader on the ice and transformed his game But you continue to be negative

How does that prove any of what you said?

You took a random pot shot because a coach said nice things publicly, and he responds to your pot shot by fully articulating what his analysis is.

All that was proved was that your snark needs improvement and Nylander still can’t make the big club to start year 3 as an 8th overall pick.

I’m happy to see improvement, but he is getting outscored by defenders on his own team and scoring is his speciality. So let’s pump the breaks on being mad at accurate analysis of a young player.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I'm excited by the progress he's made. I really feel he's going to be a big part of the Sabres going forward.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

Are you seriously saying I can’t have an opinion with nuance and that it has to be either black or white?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

He still hasnt scored, which is what he was drafted for. He’s still closer to being a bust than a top 6 in the NHL

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Are you seriously saying I can’t have an opinion with nuance and that it has to be either black or white?

No you’re allowed to have an opinion but it seems every time there’s something nice said about him you Take everything that was Positive and turn into a negative

And if someone brings up the injury history everyone just continues to forget that’s why he struggled so much

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
No you’re allowed to have an opinion but it seems every time there’s something nice said about him you Take everything that was Positive and turn into a negative

And if someone brings up the injury history everyone just continues to forget that’s why he struggled so much
You called out my opinion that’s he’s a lazy player in your post, whether you mentioned my name or not. And I defended my opinions of Nylander based on what I see. Sorry if you just don’t like what those are.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Calling a 20 year a bust you probably would’ve tossed away Pastrnak , Rakell , Scheifele

I honestly think people forget how young he is

I’m well aware how old he is. Comparing him to those NHL players is laughable - each of them were far better than Nylander at 20

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

The injury isn’t why he struggled so much — it’s an excuse for a prospect who isn’t living up to expectations.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
The injury isn’t why he struggled so much — it’s an excuse for a prospect who isn’t living up to expectations.

The injury was 100% why he struggled all that work he did in the summer to get bigger Was gone in a snap and had to play catch up with everyone else when he got back

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
I’m well aware how old he is. Comparing him to those NHL players is laughable - each of them were far better than Nylander at 20

I think it’s laughable that you think a 20-year-old is a complete player already and that’s

it starts to click around 22 for some players

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The injury was 100% why he struggled all that work he did in the summer to get bigger Was gone in a snap and had to play catch up with everyone else when he got back

That’s a story you’re making up to make excuses for underwhelming play that had nothing to do with the injury. Any player could blame poor play on injuries...they aren’t uncommon. Nylander is just a lazy player

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think it’s laughable that you think a 20-year-old is a complete player already and that’s

it starts to click around 22 for some players

I never said a 20 year old is a “complete player.” The fact that you’re arguing against something I never even said shows how wrong you are.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That’s a story you’re making up to make excuses for underwhelming play that had nothing to do with the injury. Any player could blame poor play on injuries...they aren’t uncommon. Nylander is just a lazy player
What is your definition of a lazy player?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you go on the Isles board and check out the Bridgeport thread I asked the guy who is the BST superfan what he thought of guys on the Amerks. Think you will find what he said interesting (hint: It wasn't "Nylander sucks")

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Another irresponsible and dangerous pass by Nylander at the end of the period. On a PP at the point, carelessly and weakly passes it to the middle and it’s picked off. Guhle forced to take a penalty to prevent a breakaway. These types of plays are every game.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Another irresponsible and dangerous pass by Nylander at the end of the period. On a PP at the point, carelessly and weakly passes it to the middle and it’s picked off. Guhle forced to take a penalty to prevent a breakaway. These types of plays are every game.

Waits for the positive takes ... oh wait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad