Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Nylander strikes me as one of those players who might just play better in the NHL than the AHL. Evan Rodrigues was like that for me too. I've never been too impressed with Alex in Rochester, but thought he looked very good this preseason. and he didn't look out of place in his two short, end-of-season stints in Buffalo.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Alex hasn't been that bad in Rochester this season so far. He's currently a PPG player, granted only 3 games so far but hey it's a start.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I remember there was a whole wack of people (myself included) who were low on Nylander coming into the pre-season. I'm hoping now he's doing well in Rochester and we see him sooner rather than later.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think sabrefan27 has been consistent and careful in his evaluations, going back the last two years, without the "saltiness" or "hatred" that he gets accused of.
For certain players sure but the way he gets at Nylander I can tell he had no idea of the type of player Nylander was before the AHL. He's not your Eli motor type player, for anyone like that I will take his assessment more seriously.

Not that he was wrong about Nylander missing the net today because he was right on about Nylanders primary apple but what he knocks on Nylander for is so far from what he was in the AHL thats its almost obnoxious.

The Nylander in pre-season was an entirely different player then the Nylander from the OHL who always floated and probably always will.

Reactions: Dingo44

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Nylander strikes me as one of those players who might just play better in the NHL than the AHL. Evan Rodrigues was like that for me too. I've never been too impressed with Alex in Rochester, but thought he looked very good this preseason. and he didn't look out of place in his two short, end-of-season stints in Buffalo.

I feel like this is a unicorn. About the only players I can think of who have ever really been substandard in the ahl and then good nhlers, are usually good two way guys who end up being bottom 6 guys in the nhl or a high pick that ends up in the ahl for a short time at a young age.

Erod, was .4 ppg or so first year, 2nd ahl year like .7 or so and last year over a ppg for his short stint. So he certainly improved quite a bit in the ahl.

None of this is to poop on Nylander, and he certainly appears to have the production at this point. But the idea that the nhl just fits players better than the ahl is statistically way out in left field.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I feel like this is a unicorn. About the only players I can think of who have ever really been substandard in the ahl and then good nhlers, are usually good two way guys who end up being bottom 6 guys in the nhl or a high pick that ends up in the ahl for a short time at a young age.

Erod, was .4 ppg or so first year, 2nd ahl year like .7 or so and last year over a ppg for his short stint. So he certainly improved quite a bit in the ahl.

None of this is to poop on Nylander, and he certainly appears to have the production at this point. But the idea that the nhl just fits players better than the ahl is statistically way out in left field.

It might because if the quality of player he’s playing with. Nylander’s positive aspects of his game shine when he can work with high IQ players with elite skill. No offense to Asplund, but all of our guys with that ability are on the main roster. We don’t have anyone down there who can work consistently at an elite level that thinks like Nylander.

With that said, there are aspects of his game that doesn’t rely on his teammates having chemistry with him and that’s where he gets criticized the most on.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
All I really want to know about Nylander is whether the Amerks control the shot attempts for while he's on the ice. Despite the fact that we've all seen him pull up on a back check, or bail out of a one-on-one puck race as the F1 so that he doesn't get hit, who cares? The proper question is: Is he effective at hockey *despite* those things?

The Sabres have a team full of ineffective players, and the result is a team that can't score. If he can help tilt the ice towards the offensive zone, I'll take it, and we'll see how it goes. If, on the other hand, he's getting dominated in the AHL, well...then the red flags we've all discussed ad nauseum are probably indicative of the problems that are going to sink him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It might because if the quality of player he’s playing with. Nylander’s positive aspects of his game shine when he can work with high IQ players with elite skill. No offense to Asplund, but all of our guys with that ability are on the main roster. We don’t have anyone down there who can work consistently at an elite level that thinks like Nylander.

With that said, there are aspects of his game that doesn’t rely on his teammates having chemistry with him and that’s where he gets criticized the most on.

If he really thinks the game at a high level he can use dumb relatively speaking players. I think he will both produce at a standout level this year while in the ahl, and still not put up the full effort his talents need to be exploited fully.

At this point I’m pretty happy he showed life this preseason. If he can become a full time nhler, with anything approaching 20 goals a season, it would really salvage one of Murray’s worst decisions .

Sneaky hope, he really does tack up points in Rochester, gets a call up in 20 games and gets on a line with Mitts, who by then has warmed to the task, allowing for an Elie or Girgs on the right wing to create space and speed.

If Skinner can create a credible threat on that Berglund line, it creates a huge opportunity for the kids.

Girgs Mitts Pominville
Nylander Erod Elie

Nylander Mitts Thompson
Girgs Erod Pominville

Nylander Mitts Erod
Girgs Larson Pominville

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Rather see him in Bflo than Thompson.

I want Nylander in the AHL until at least Christmas. We have enough depth up here too hold down the fort until than. Let the kid continue his brilliance and prove he doesn't belong in the AHL anymore. Than the kid can come up an still get in 50 NHL games and him and Middlestadt can make a fatal 3rd line. If Thompson continues to struggle in the next 5 games by all means send him down

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015

I respectfully disagree, if you want to be Elite you have to do it yourself. Any average NHL can be made to look like a star around elite players, Remember Alex burrows? He played with the twins and put up several solid 25 goal season. If Nylander wants to play in the NHL he has to prove he belongs and continue to develop.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I respectfully disagree, if you want to be Elite you have to do it yourself. Any average NHL can be made to look like a star around elite players, Remember Alex burrows? He played with the twins and put up several solid 25 goal season. If Nylander wants to play in the NHL he has to prove he belongs and continue to develop.
And you prove you belong in the NHL by playing in the A? The Sabres need as much talent as they can get. A Healthy Alex with a goal and 3 assists in 4 is a good indicator he is developing and could could develop more in the show.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
A little good and bad today. Nice goal on the PP, but a horrific turnover that directly resulted in a goal. He’s not at all ready for the NHL.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
How much of the Amerks have you watched this year so far?

Not a single minute. But that is irrelevant becsuse he will always be a guy who you will always want to see more from in the minors. I personally feel he is ready for an NHL shot from what I've seen from him in the pre-season and given who is currently on the Sabres (his direct competition).

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Not a single minute. But that is irrelevant becsuse he will always be a guy who you will always want to see more from in the minors. I personally feel he is ready for an NHL shot from what I've seen from him in the pre-season and given who is currently on the Sabres (his direct competition).
Just checking. No offense, but I don’t care what you think if you haven’t watched him.

Reactions: DJN21

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Nylander does it again ! Another assist ! With 30 minutes too go in the game ! Make that 5 points in 5 games ! The Nylander we have always been waiting for is finally starting to emerge! Love this kid

Reactions: Rasmi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad