Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He never specified parameters and he used just Rochester because using the entire AHL is a lot easier. I don't know what is considered succeeding to him because apparently even when Nylander gets two assists hes not good.

Anyways while not on the same pedigree of Nylander, Ales Kotalik wasn't exactly a world beater in the AHL and he carved himself out a career in the NHL. Bryan Campbell was middle of the pack average in the AHL and carved himself out a good NHL career.

Just a few examples from Rochester.
I didn’t use any other organization because I don’t watch other AHL teams enough. But by all means, share your examples from elsewhere. Nice try, though. I watched Kotalik and Campbell. Both were pretty good in Rochester. Not even close to a similar comparison.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I didn’t use any other organization because I don’t watch other AHL teams enough. But by all means, share your examples from elsewhere. Nice try, though. I watched Kotalik and Campbell. Both were pretty good in Rochester. Not even close to a similar comparison.
They were average, just like Nylander.. Admit you go harder on Nylander because of his draft position.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He never specified parameters and he used just Rochester because using the entire AHL is a lot easier. I don't know what is considered succeeding to him because apparently even when Nylander gets two assists hes not good.

Anyways while not on the same pedigree of Nylander, Ales Kotalik wasn't exactly a world beater in the AHL and he carved himself out a career in the NHL. Bryan Campbell was middle of the pack average in the AHL and carved himself out a good NHL career.

Just a few examples from Rochester.

Nylander is just a victim to where he was drafted.

Kotalik played 8 ahl games as a prospect. 2 assists. Not much time to see how he would produce if left in the minors. Not too useful.

Campbell played three significant chunks as a prospect and was like .8 ppg in that last season after showing s lot of offensive development. Perhaps not the best examples.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
They were average, just like Nylander.. Admit you go harder on Nylander because of his draft position.
No, they were significantly better than Nylander. Kotalik played one season and scored 18 goals. Nylander has 18 goals in 42 more games. Campbell was almost a PPG defenseman his last season. I watched all three.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No, they were significantly better than Nylander. Kotalik played one season and scored 18 goals. Nylander has 18 goals in 42 more games. Campbell was almost a PPG defenseman his last season. I watched all three.
I guess Chris Thorburn was way better than Nylander as well, also Nylander is in his 3rd season and is PPG so the Campbell point is still being proven.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I guess Chris Thorburn was way better than Nylander as well, also Nylander is in his 3rd season and is PPG so the Campbell point is still being proven.
Chris Thorburn was a great Amerk. Part of one of the best Amerk lines I’ve seen. Thorburn/Gaustad/Peters were a menace to the opposition all season.

You’re not helping your case.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Chris Thorburn was a great Amerk. Part of one of the best Amerk lines I’ve seen. Thorburn/Gaustad/Peters were a menace to the opposition all season.

You’re not helping your case.
My case is just fine, you're the one over here skewing your point to ONLY Amerks and then trying to shut down my comparisons to a person by using their points in their 3rd season in the AHL, the one Nylander is currently in. It's also hard to debate when your clear bias towards Nylander makes everything and everyone better then Nylander automatically. Also the players I used as an example had a better overall Amerks team than Nylander has had.

Let me put it this way, I will believe AHL insiders over you, every.... single... day

Also the clear fact that people who have awesome AHL careers aren't guranteed to have a good career in the NHL proves that the AHL is not a sure fire way to tell talent.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
My case is just fine, you're the one over here skewing your point to ONLY Amerks and then trying to shut down my comparisons to a person by using their points in their 3rd season in the AHL, the one Nylander is currently in. It's also hard to debate when your clear bias towards Nylander makes everything and everyone better then Nylander automatically. Also the players I used as an example had a better overall Amerks team than Nylander has had.

Let me put it this way, I will believe AHL insiders over you, every.... single... day

Also the clear fact that people who have awesome AHL careers aren't guranteed to have a good career in the NHL proves that the AHL is not a sure fire way to tell talent.
Yep, great case. You showed me alright.

Reactions: davej0122

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Literally no one has said that having a good AHL career guarantees one to have a good NHL career.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Literally no one has said that having a good AHL career guarantees one to have a good NHL career.
Not directly no but SabreFan26 has basically been implying it with Nylander ever since Nylander has joined the Amerks, as have a few others who want to write him off as a bust.

It's not hard to see at all, except apparently for you.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Not directly no but SabreFan26 has basically been implying it with Nylander ever since Nylander has joined the Amerks, as have a few others who want to write him off as a bust.
No he has not been. He is saying that a player isn't going to be good in the NHL if he's bad in the AHL. That says absolutely nothing about how a good AHL player will perform in the NHL. It's the difference between a necessary and a sufficient condition.

It's not hard to see at all, except for you.
No, you're the only one that's seeing it, because no one is actually saying it.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No he has not been. He is saying that a player isn't going to be good in the NHL if he's bad in the AHL. That says absolutely nothing about how a good AHL player will perform in the NHL. It's the difference between a necessary and a sufficient condition.

No, you're the only one that's seeing it, because no one is actually saying it.
Ok I'll play your game then.

So then you think Nylander is bad? Is he so bad in the AHL that you cant see him making it in the NHL?

That's the side you're choosing with SabreFan26

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Ok I'll play your game then.

So then you think Nylander is bad? Is he so bad in the AHL that you cant see him making it in the NHL?

That's the side you're choosing with SabreFan26
Cut the bullshit. His point is that Nylander needs to perform in the AHL and if he doesn't, he's unlikely to be a good NHLer.

Reactions: davej0122

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Cut the bull****. His point is that Nylander needs to perform in the AHL and if he doesn't, he's unlikely to be a good NHLer.
The thing is he has been performing in the AHL. There is no bullshit here other than then the stupid takes against Nylander.

He has been average in the AHL, not great, on bad Amerks teams.. I gave similiar players who were average on good Amerks teams and I am over here being told by you that I need to cut the bullshit.. rich.

EDIT: His initial argument gave me no parameters on what constitutes good and bad in the AHL or where the medium lies so I took Nylander at the medium while he considers Nylander in the bad.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
There is one point that you are missing.

Some players look average in the AHL, and then carve out really productive careers in the NHL.

Edit. Well shit.

The post before mine said the same thing.

Reactions: sabremike

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
The kid has played 2 games. The team lost both of those. It’s not like the Amerks are world beaters right now and he’s just along for the ride. Lots of new faces down there. If they start clicking and he’s still just there then I’ll start to worry.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Jesper bratt was 0.5 ppg in tier 2 sweden which is worse than ahl and yet play in nhl.
I’m not talking strictly points. Nylander’s entire game has been awful for 2 years, in addition to producing little offense. Either way, there’s very little evidence of poor AHL play leading to good NHL play. It shouldn’t be a controversial point.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m not talking strictly points. Nylander’s entire game has been awful for 2 years, in addition to producing little offense. Either way, there’s very little evidence of poor AHL play leading to good NHL play. It shouldn’t be a controversial point.
Please find me evidence of his grindy, hustle and bustle style in the OHL that gave you this impression where he was tough on the puck and constantly going into the corners. How he was playing in the pre-season is polar opposite to what he looked like in the OHL.

He always floated but he made up for it by his playmaking ability that showcased his high hockey IQ. Thats what we got when we drafted him.

Why aren't you taking it on any other players that made this Amerks team start 0-2?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Agreed. The only guy I can think of who might meet the criteria was Taylor Pyatt. Let's hope Nylander can eclipse that.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

This is simply not true.

The most recent example being the pre-season games just little over a week ago.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
This is simply not true.

The most recent example being the pre-season games just little over a week ago.
What isn’t true? That he played poorly the last 2 AHL seasons? It’s a fact. I’m not taking about preseason. He had a good preseason. But he has a less than inspiring first weekend and looked more like 2017 Nylander than 2018 preseason Nylander. That’s the point of the thread, to discuss his game. Some people just don’t like what they’re reading.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
That's not what you wrote in your previous post though. You only wrote 2 seasons, not 2 AHL seasons.
Pre-season isn't a part of the season, hence the "pre" part. It's obvious the last 2 years/seasons implies AHL seasons since that's where Alex spent the vast majority of his time playing.

Not sure why people are giving sabrefan27 such a hard time with this. It's pretty common knowledge that Nylander hasn't looked good the last few years... most of the fanbase here at HF had bust written all over him before preseason. The only argument to really make is "well maybe he looks better in the NHL" which could be true and would be interesting to see... but something that two lousy years in the AHL and a solid camp of scrimmages with tweeners are far from evidence of.

Alex still has a lot to prove. If he can in the NHL,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad