Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I understand he is young but has shown no improvement since drafting him. If they held unbiased tryouts to make the Amerks, I am not even sure if he would even make the team. He is fast approaching Grigorenko territory where his only value will be as high drafted, reclamation project throw in on a trade. I would probably try to send him to Calgary for someone like Bennett who hasn't lived up to his draft status but is still a serviceable Nhler or similar type trade. Another interesting player in Calgary that was brought up was Adam Fox. I am hoping he somehow makes the big club out of camp with a different attitude and compete level.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I’m giving Nylander one more year before I call him a bust. Dahlin will take so much pressure off him , Reinhart , Eichel and Middlestadt. Nylander was garbage in the playoffs but so was the entire roster. Nylander did have 21 points in the final 29 games and really turned a corner. And plus with the Amerks adding Asplund once signed which will get done , Olofsson, Pilut, Borgen,Pu, Fitzgerald (soon) Budik (soon) and Hagel maybe. He will have a much better roster to work with. Next year Nylander will put it all together. It’s not his Fault Murray rushed him too the AHL and set this organization back years. Botterill will salvage his development and I still think he can be a 50 point player in the NHL and let’s not forget he only just turned 20 it’s not like he’s 22 or 23 than our level of concern could be at a more heightened level. And let’s not forget he will have Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin to work with on the powerplay

Last edited:
Reactions: Nifty Willy

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So... I wonder if there is any impact to Nylander from Dahlin's arrival? With how his coaches and scouts are talking about the amount of work Dahlin puts in - film, on-ice instruction, extra practice - does that light a bit of fire under his countryman's tail?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
So... I wonder if there is any impact to Nylander from Dahlin's arrival? With how his coaches and scouts are talking about the amount of work Dahlin puts in - film, on-ice instruction, extra practice - does that light a bit of fire under his countryman's tail?

God lets hope so. The kid is as naturally talented as Pastranak, he just doesn't have the drive to be the best right now. If he added some strength and desire he could be a star but that is a big "if" right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would literally light a fire under Nylander if it would get him where we badly need him to be. Which is chained to the left side of Eichel or Mitts and producing.

I'm down for hot pokers: get someone from the Torquemada coaching school out there.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Buffalo Sabres news By Bill Hoppe

BUFFALO – Shortly after the Sabres introduced first overall pick Rasmus Dahlin to the local media Monday, prospect Alexander Nylander emerged from the locker room clad in workout pants and a hoody and hopped on an escalator inside KeyBank Center.

Nylander, 20, was bound for HarborCenter, where he has been skating during a summer so significant it could decide his future.

“Probably the most important offseason of training in his young life, really,” Sabres assistant general manager Randy Sexton said Saturday after the NHL Draft ended inside American Airlines Center in Dallas. “It’s critical for him.”

Reactions: kummelweck

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He's not the type of player that can do it on his own at the pro level and never had a center in Roch. I saw the talent in his call up at the end of the year.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Question is how much of his passivity is fitness. Being in excellent shape doesn't help the mental game.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Question is how much of his passivity is fitness. Being in excellent shape doesn't help the mental game.

My outlandish theory is that hes a late bloomer due to a low testosterone, so maybe two birds with one crazy stone. :laugh:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
He could make a solid career for himself by skating hard and getting in the right spot offensively. He's no Dave Andreychuk, but there's no reason that he couldn't be a guy who parks near the net to 'snipeshow' some rebounds.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I remember him being solid in his NHL call ups, so I'm not gonna lose all hope that he can be a productive NHL player at some point.

That being said some of this is on the Sabres. He should have never played in the AHL in the year after his draft. He would have been better served lighting up the OHL for a year and then gone to play for the Amerks. Another one of Tim Murray's f*** ups, outside of drafting him in the 1st place.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This kid is our only hope at LW with star potential. If he fails our LW is doomed for overpriced UFA's with horrible contracts weighing down the team as we sit in cap hell.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This kid is our only hope at LW with star potential. If he fails our LW is doomed for overpriced UFA's with horrible contracts weighing down the team as we sit in cap hell.
I honestly think we have something with E-Rod...if I was Housley I would park him on Jack's LW with Samson on the right side all season long and let them gel.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am seriously looking at Nylander as a true rookie. He was thrust right into the AHL at 18 and 19 instead of going back to the O and straight up dominating inferior talent. I think he should have went back to the O in 16-17 to build up confidence and dominate night in and night out and 17-18 should have been his first year in Rochester. That being said, he just turned 20. I actually expect a Stafford progression out of Nylander this year. He will come into camp and play well but be sent down and he will play good hockey for Rochester and will eventually be brought up to Buffalo and will stay there. Probably 30-40 games this year for Nylander in Buffalo hopefully. Obviously it would be great if he came in and clearly won a spot in the top 9 but that's asking for quite a bit.

I am not expecting Nylander to be like his brother. But if he can develop into a 20-30-50 type player that is perfect for the LW2 spot and Mitts in general. I think a Nylander-Mittelstadt-Reinhart combo can be a second line on a cup contender 3-4 years down the road.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Alex may be one of the most talented players on the team. On a team devoid of high end talent I want to give him more time to develop. It sounds like he is putting in the off season training. Hopefully that will translate on the ice. I'm sure he wants nothing more than to prove doubters wrong.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Or one million other things could happen. Yeah, it'd be awesome if he pans out as a legit top 6 winger, though.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If he’s not call-up worthy at camp and then struggle at the beginning of the season I think we should loan him to Liiga/NLA and let him start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille