Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Dahlin - Parayko
Scandella - Ristolainen
Guhle

If we trade for Parayko we don't need to draft another D for about 5 years...

I was just talking about this D on the trade board. Also said that Nylander is the Jewel in the Tim Murray crown of failure, and he can go in any ROR trade and I wouldn’t care.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Count me in the column as having no issue with Nylander attending and not being on the ice. If there is something that needs to heal, no need to risk a relapse at Dev Camp.

Makes you wonder, though. His season has been over for 2.5 months. That should be plenty of time to rehab the nicks and scrapes of a long season. There was no indication that he was hurt at the end of the season, and no report that he needed surgery. And now he can't participate in camp a week after Sexton said this is the most important summer of his life? Just seems fishy.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I was just talking about this D on the trade board. Also said that Nylander is the Jewel in the Tim Murray crown of failure, and he can go in any ROR trade and I wouldn’t care.

I was about to say that Nylander would be in the crown right next to another particular scratched up stone, but when you consider he had the choice of McAvoy/Sergachev/Chychrun for free, staring him in the face, you're probably right. I do remember hurting myself when I slapped my face too hard after that pick.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Makes you wonder, though. His season has been over for 2.5 months. That should be plenty of time to rehab the nicks and scrapes of a long season. There was no indication that he was hurt at the end of the season, and no report that he needed surgery. And now he can't participate in camp a week after Sexton said this is the most important summer of his life? Just seems fishy.

Really 'spicious. Gotta be trade-related.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Could be. It’s also possible he may have had surgery and we simply don’t know about it. That was where I went given the usual iffy nature of Buffalo sports reporting.

Or perhaps they found something when he came in for camp. Either way, if he isn’t on the ice I am still not too concerned yet.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Dahlin - Parayko
Scandella - Ristolainen
Guhle

If we trade for Parayko we don't need to draft another D for about 5 years...
Love the idea of Parayko but that's gonna be a lot of money on the blue line once Dahlin signs his first contract after his ELC.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Nylander wasnt a bad pick at the time. I never thought he would bust

He hasn't busted yet, he has one more season before I will officially label him a bust. He had 18 points in the final 23 games of the Amerks season so there's a little glimmer of hope after all. Plus he is going to be playing with the likes of Olofssin, Asplund, Pu, Pilut, Hickey (hopefully) and we have added a few other veterans so I am very confident Nylander with a competitive Amerks team he will finally put it all together. I still think Nylander can put up 50 points a season in the NHL. He is still only 20 years old people keep forgetting and sometimes it takes players longer to develop. Tom Wilson is a perfect example of that. The guy was rushed to the NHL but has salvaged his career and won the Stanley Cup and was pivotal playing with Kuz and OV and was one of the Capitals best players in the playoffs.

Lets give Nylander one more season before we call him a bust. Like I said he showed real signs of life at the end of the season with 18 points in 23 games

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I think this guy is getting traded. No real reason, just a gut feeling...

I’m in this camp as well. Without too much gossip, there has seemed to been a cloud of concern around Nylander for some time. Not to say that’s he lacks work ethic or Ian a bad teammate but the “floater” stigma is hard stench to wash out.

Given our lack of skilled wingers, selling low on Nylander may not be worth it. I still hold a sliver of hope, especially with young talent coming in.

Terrible terrible decision to start him in the AHL.
so much for the “accelerated” a rebuild

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Terrible terrible decision to start him in the AHL.
Has his story even started yet though? Think in terms of the Sabres not Rochester. Untill he exhausts his callup protocol and continually regresses I will hold judgment on him. He can do whatever he wants in Rochester. The big question is what is he going to do for the Sabres . I think his ceiling is still high and if he's next to Jack how do we know he wont hit 25?

Last edited:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
You would think that with his brother being an uppertier/semi star player....he would push himself harder. You don't want to feel the stigma of being the lesser son in your parent's eyes. It seems that the tools are all there, but he just doesn't push himself and seems to have a low compete level. Not sure if he is scared or lazy but I can see that he plays a soft game and doesn't like to engage or go into the dirty areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sabres4ever

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
You would think that with his brother being an uppertier/semi star player....he would push himself harder. You don't want to feel the stigma of being lesser son in your parent's eyes. It seems that the tools are all there, but he just doesn't push himself and seems to have a low compete level. Not sure if he is scared or lazy but I can see that he plays a soft game and doesn't like to engage or go into the dirty areas.

Great post, definitely made me think. He definitely has all the talent his brother has he just hasn’t put it together in pro yet. Obviously brothers are gonna compete to be the best but in most cases there is the child that is just better than the other for whatever reason. (Me and my brother always vied for the title of best hockey player In the house lol). I feel like both the Nylanders were very equally matched. I remember at the time Alex was drafted they were saying he was very similar to his brother. For whatever reason Alex just hasn’t got it yet but I haven’t lost faith.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
You would think that with his brother being an uppertier/semi star player....he would push himself harder. You don't want to feel the stigma of being lesser son in your parent's eyes. It seems that the tools are all there, but he just doesn't push himself and seems to have a low compete level. Not sure if he is scared or lazy but I can see that he plays a soft game and doesn't like to engage or go into the dirty areas.
Let's see if he pushes himself when he is on the Sabres. I want to see him get the same shot Bailey and Baptiste have gotten. The investment is huge why not see what we have?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Great post, definitely made me think. He definitely has all the talent his brother has he just hasn’t put it together in pro yet. Obviously brothers are gonna compete to be the best but in most cases there is the child that is just better than the other for whatever reason. (Me and my brother always vied for the title of best hockey player In the house lol). I feel like both the Nylanders were very equally matched. I remember at the time Alex was drafted they were saying he was very similar to his brother. For whatever reason Alex just hasn’t got it yet but I haven’t lost faith.
Gotten what? The regular callups Baptiste and Bailey have?

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Gotten what? The regular callups Baptiste and Bailey have?

To this point he hasn’t deserved a callup over anyone period. Although I do think he’s better suited to the NHL then AHL. More due to the fact that I think he’s a type of player that would feed off playing with other skilled players. At this point why not try him in the NHL, can’t be that much worse than his time in the AHL.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
To this point he hasn’t deserved a callup over anyone period. Although I do think he’s better suited to the NHL then AHL. More due to the fact that I think he’s a type of player that would feed off playing with other skilled players. At this point why not try him in the NHL, can’t be that much worse than his time in the AHL.
With the players we’ve been adding there will be plenty of NHL talent playing in Rochester.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Based solely on what I read here, and watching him play for the Sabres, it seems he does have the skill, but lacks the motivation to some extent. Sure, not all players develop at the same rate, but I can't imagine his coaches have not told him that he needs to engage more, get into the dirty area more, hound the puck carrier, create turnovers and use his speed to create odd-man rushes. If they haven't, shame on them, but I feel he already knows what he needs to do, and it's concerning to me.

Yes, he started playing much better at the end of the year, but can anyone get the message across to him? It's now or never. How long until we should cut ties with him, if he cannot produce at the NHL level? I'm willing to give him more time, but how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->