Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Any news on why Nylander didn’t skate today? I have not seen anything on him being injured.

Having trouble linking on my phone but Greely said Nylander and others will sit out dev camp to make sure they’re 100%.

Interesting since Botterill (?) said this is the most important off season of his career. Not a good way to start off. Gotta wonder if there was a lingering problem from last season.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Having trouble linking on my phone but Greely said Nylander and others will sit out dev camp to make sure they’re 100%.

Interesting since Botterill (?) said this is the most important off season of his career. Not a good way to start off. Gotta wonder if there was a lingering problem from last season.

Or perhaps part of a trade after july 1st and they don't want to risk injury :dunno:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Looked like he was sitting out with Bailey and McCabe? Hard to tell from the picture. Probably just injury related.

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I would think the Sabres management is monitoring their activities during the offseason. They may feel like Nylander doesn't need to go through the skating portion, which I'm sure is a big focus for this prospects camp. Nylander one strength is his skating. This isn't a big deal for Nylander seeing as this would be his 3rd one. They probably had him skate at home to get into shape, and will tell him to continue to skate on his own to come into training camp in shape. He's a pro, he needs to act like one, this is an easy test for him, let's see if he takes it serious enough.

I don't see the big deal with him sitting out the skating session of a prospects camp. Where his game needs improvement is probably between the ears and his strength.

Deleted member 27798

If they are concerned that Nylander can't make it through dev camp without getting injured, it is time to start shopping him, and see if there are any takers. It's never a good look when other players(including your franchise defenseman) are out there taking part and busting their butts, while Nylander is too fragile, and is limited to interviews with Lauren Hall.

Who are the other players sitting out dev camp that Greely talked about?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If they are concerned that Nylander can't make it through dev camp without getting injured, it is time to start shopping him, and see if there are any takers. It's never a good look when other players(including your franchise defenseman) are out there taking part and busting their butts, while Nylander is too fragile, and is limited to interviews with Lauren Hall.

Who are the other players sitting out dev camp that Greely talked about?

This happens every dev camp. I don't see why people care.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Count me in the column as having no issue with Nylander attending and not being on the ice. If there is something that needs to heal, no need to risk a relapse at Dev Camp.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We have all seen this play out numerous times before. TJ Brennan, Luke Adam, Kassian, Armia, Grigorenko...guys we really hope pan out after some time goes by. They don't develop at all, or in time for Buffalo to justifiably keep them. I'd like to have hope, but this is a recording...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
We have all seen this play out numerous times before. TJ Brennan, Luke Adam, Kassian, Armia, Grigorenko...guys we really hope pan out after some time goes by. They don't develop at all, or in time for Buffalo to justifiably keep them. I'd like to have hope, but this is a recording...
In fairness, most of those guys (Grigorenko excluded), were nowhere near the prospect Nylander is.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Brennan is unlike the others, and Kassian was traded when trending upwards. Armia also never really got a chance at our nhl roster before he was dealt. Ironically now several posters on here would give a late first or second to get him back...I get what you are saying and I agree to an extent but your examples are iffy.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Brennan is unlike the others, and Kassian was traded when trending upwards. Armia also never really got a chance at our nhl roster before he was dealt. Ironically now several posters on here would give a late first or second to get him back...I get what you are saying and I agree to an extent but your examples are iffy.
You can also look at giving up on McNabb too early as a counter argument. But as posted above, none of those guys were top ten picks, even grigorenko had a ton of question marks on draft day

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
You can also look at giving up on McNabb too early as a counter argument. But as posted above, none of those guys were top ten picks, even grigorenko had a ton of question marks on draft day

I was high on McNabb and against that trade at the time for all the wrong reasons.

Fresh off the lucic/miller incident and the trend of following the Boston or kings model I thought foligno, kassian, McNabb were our solution. Mix it with a kaleta, scott, McCormick type I was sure we could match up against those model teams. Even the addition of ott at the cost of Roy was fine because it fit that narrative.

Fast forward to that "model" being outdated and seeing so many prospects stagnate I'm not sure McNabb would be the guy he is today had we kept him. He would likely be a weber-esque guy for us. Fasching not panning out didn' help the revisionist history either. Idk....

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Bottom line is, after a year or two go by without the player making a positive impression, they don't just turn into an impact player all of a sudden. Nylander was a top 10 pick, but he shouldn't have been. We're holding out hope that he becomes a top line winger, but that ship has sailed. We'll be lucky if he gets his @#$% together just enough to trade him for something, because short of being a quality top-six FW, he doesn't have anything else to offer as a bottom-six. There's plenty of better comparisons to make with let-down draftees, but that list is long around the NHL and we can all come up with different names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->