Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I definitely see 2nd line potential in Hook, but obviously as a winger. He's made some really good strides this year under difficult circumstances (having to play C). On Dach's wing with Roy i think he breaks out to a 2nd line 50 point player next season.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I definitely see 2nd line potential in Hook, but obviously as a winger. He's made some really good strides this year under difficult circumstances (having to play C). On Dach's wing with Roy i think he breaks out to a 2nd line 50 point player next season.
Posted the same in the Newhook thread but he is almost pacing for 50 pts while we will have 3 40 pts forwards, yet people don’t see top 6 potential in him

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Posted the same in the Newhook thread but he is almost pacing for 50 pts while we will have 3 40 pts forwards, yet people don’t see top 6 potential in him
I agree only because of his progression. Most of his points have come recently and he has shown significant improvement. I believe that continues next year with Dach at C. Newhook will have more freedom to skate and attack without having to worry about the defensive side of things as C.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

It seems they specifically targeted him because they believed he could round out his game and learn from the development team. He's doing a lot of smarter plays this year, not only using his speed and shot off the rush, but having a better understanding of what's going on during play.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It seems they specifically targeted him because they believed he could round out his game and learn from the development team. He's doing a lot of smarter plays this year, not only using his speed and shot off the rush, but having a better understanding of what's going on during play.
He is one of the few players that we have that can back the opposing D up when he skates hard with the puck on transition. He just did it on his last shift which created numerous opportunities. The D respects his speed.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'll take a 25-25 guy as my 6th best forward or on a 3rd line.

Note he's not in his prime yet.
I agree but right now he is 5th, if there isn’t a lot of progression ideally he be 6/7th playing on the 3 line that is fine, He is kind of the my standard everyone we acquire need to be better than him to play in the top 6 or have a specific type and combination of skills to fill a role on the bottom 6 (size, speed, physical, PK, 200ft game).

Reactions: themilosh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree but right now he is 5th, if there isn’t a lot of progression ideally he be 6/7th playing on the 3 line that is fine, He is kind of the my standard everyone we acquire need to be better than him to play in the top 6 or have a specific type and combination of skills to fill a role on the bottom 6 (size, speed, physical, PK, 200ft game).

I'm hoping he plays the Byron role on this team, but with 25 goals and 25 assists. A nig part of whether he can reach that production level is our 3c. Monahan would have been (would be?) perfect.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I'm hoping he plays the Byron role on this team, but with 25 goals and 25 assists. A nig part of whether he can reach that production level is our 3c. Monahan would have been (would be?) perfect.
In what world do 3rd line players (with few PP time) hit 50 pts ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In what world do 3rd line players (with few PP time) hit 50 pts ?
Welcome to the world of a contending team before they have to blow it up when those 3rd liners, and others, all need new contracts.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’ll take either one but would prefer Zegras.

I’m certainly not an expert but if we were playing a video game and I had some say I’d try to trade any non-forward prospect we have not named Lane Hutson for Zegras. All the other talent we have on defense (I’m assuming the Ducks wouldn’t trade Zegras for a Goalie) are relatively similar players other than Hutson. He’s different for sure.

But I’m an American that didn’t grow up playing the game, I just love the Habs and love watching hockey so I may be completely off basis.
No, Johnson not kind of player we need. Want more size/physical/speed combo. We have ton of smurfs, opens up more options

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Nothing about Newhook really stands out to me... He's fast but doesn't pop out fast. However, I was also really high on Hudon and Kotkaniemi plus didn't see Slafkovsky taking the steps he did to improve this fast. Hopefully my wrong streak continues.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Something about Newhook doesn't stand out to me. However, I was also really high on Hudon and Kotkaniemi plus didn't see Slafkovsky taking the steps he did to improve this fast. Hopefully my wrong streak continues.
Something that does stands out to me is he is currently our only forward able to create space for himself with the puck on his stick using his feet.
He does it in tight spaces too.
While we do have other players who can create space they use smarts and or size.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
It's hard for any players to miss substantial time (27 games) and come back when the pace of the season is high and to produce at their usual rate. He's done well and was asked to be 2nd line center with lower lineup depth, which we should take into consideration.

Considering this, he's done really well. He's already good as is but can improve (only 23) and at 2.9m cap hit if he can be a 2nd line winger with 50 points that's already a nsteal but if he moves down to the 3rd line he can be a Lekhonen type of forward.

I think he doesn't get enough credit...

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Welcome to the world of a contending team before they have to blow it up when those 3rd liners, and others, all need new contracts.
Even contending teams don't have 50 point 3rd liners except in rare situations where they load up after the deadline. And then those guys generally stop producing at a 50 point rate when they get moved to the 3rd line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even contending teams don't have 50 point 3rd liners except in rare situations where they load up after the deadline. And then those guys generally stop producing at a 50 point rate when they get moved to the 3rd line.
I'd be fine with Newhook producing at a pace of 50 points on a second line and then getting moved to the 3rd line when we're ready to contend and bring in someone else.

Which is exactly what the last two cup winners did: Vegas and the Avs. The lightning were close the year before, with their 7th best forward scoring at a pace of 46 points over 82 games (Newhook's pace already at 23 most of this season).

So the last 3 cup winners had a player of the type of production I'm talking about for Alex Newhook as their 7th best scorer. I think he'll be a good piece for us. Especially when he hits his prime.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'd be fine with Newhook producing at a pace of 50 points on a second line and then getting moved to the 3rd line when we're ready to contend and bring in someone else.

Which is exactly what the last two cup winners did: Vegas and the Avs. The lightning were close the year before, with their 7th best forward scoring at a pace of 46 points over 82 games (Newhook's pace already at 23 most of this season).

So the last 3 cup winners had a player of the type of production I'm talking about for Alex Newhook as their 7th best scorer. I think he'll be a good piece for us. Especially when he hits his prime.
Fair enough but @Zilo44 was clearly talking about players producing those 50 points laying on the 3rd and not doing it on the 2nd line and then being pushed down to the 3rd line after the deadline.

Reactions: 26Mats

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Newhook at a 50pt pace is basically what we paid for when we made the trade. I think with Dach back, he will exceed that next season.

Roy-Dach-Newhook
Need one more Top 6 FWD so we can move Roy down to 3rd line to be depth, that + some growth amongst our defenseman, either with Internal growth or the arrival of Hutson/Reinbacher and we're firing towards playing meaningful games come march next year.

I'm on team tank but after this year I won't be cheering for it anymore.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Need one more Top 6 FWD so we can move Roy down to 3rd line to be depth, that + some growth amongst our defenseman, either with Internal growth or the arrival of Hutson/Reinbacher and we're firing towards playing meaningful games come march next year.

I'm on team tank but after this year I won't be cheering for it anymore.
This is where Marc Bergevin trades Caufield for PLD. lol

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He will be better on wing for sure. I really like what he bring this year. With Dach and Roy next year, I think they can become really dangerous. They have high offensive talent with great defensive IQ aswell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad