Player Discussion Alex Newhook

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Top 6 winger...he skates too well to be on a 3rd line.
Newhook can be a difference maker: elite skating can do that for a player.

That being said, I still don’t think Newhook has made a full recovery from his major injury. His fluidity and hand skills/ coordination seem off.

I look forward to seeing what he will bring to the team after a summer of recovery and training.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Roy
Caufield-Dach-Newhook

Would be an interesting top 6 next year.
I think we'll see it at some point next season 100%

It feels like Cole needs to be next to Dach for 5 on 5
And it feels like Suzuki was taylor made to be the C that Roy needs, plus everything Slaf brings to that line

But then.. there's always that 'who do they trade for this summer' too :D

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Caufield with Dach is super interesting. Roy on the top line may be temporary with us drafting a forward this year. I can see Roy playing with Beck on a talented third line in the future.

I agree, I think Roy-Beck will work in the 3rd line role.. then just need to find a speedy, physical guy like Heineman, for example, to complete that trio for the top 9.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
No way I commit to Monahan for 5 years.

Incredible player, but we should learn from the Gallagher experience. Monahan, just like Gallagher before his extension, has a LOT of mileage on his body. Could be an albatross contract when our core hits its prime.

Off the top of my head, this could end up like one of those Gallagher, Lucic, Kesler, Backes, Okposo, Ladd deals
Ahhh yes…. Summer of 2015?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
It feels like this team is starting to come together. A healthy team next year and I think we are battling for a WC spot. It's still too hard to imagine us competing with the panthers lightening leafs bruins. if the red wings and sabres put it together, or if the sens ever play decent hockey, we might be outside looking in but I expect this team to be more competitive than what we are watching right now.
We have 21 one goal losses I think. Without a steady second line and two thirds of our D are sophomores. We will be very hard to play against over the next few years and those powerhouse teams you mentioned are on the cusp of declining(TB) , Florida has a lot of UFAs this summer. The Atlantic is on the cusp of flipping upside down and I think we will climb and stay for a while

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
In a perfect world/team we have Newhook next to Beck too

Then we'd be laughing if Beck is what we think he is
It could work. I don't see Beck playing on a PP unit, and Newhook could easily take faceoffs for a PP2 with Roy and Dach's wingers. I kinda doubt we get enough forward talent to push BOTH Roy and Newhook to a third line role, though. It also sounds pretty expensive on the cap eventually.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I did not like giving up the extra early 2nd round in order to get him but I am starting to warm up to the idea. He's been great.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It could work. I don't see Beck playing on a PP unit, and Newhook could easily take faceoffs for a PP2 with Roy and Dach's wingers. I kinda doubt we get enough forward talent to push BOTH Roy and Newhook to a third line role, though. It also sounds pretty expensive on the cap eventually.
Watching Beck on the Saginaw power play this year confirms, at least in this writer’s eyes, that we have a player who will readily and productively fit in on our 2nd power play unit. On the Spirit, Beck plays the half wall on left side and is a veritable shooting machine as Parekh looks for him. Beck’s one timer is better than most of our current players not named Caufield or Slafkovsky.

In two years, it will be Hutson or Mailloux who will be feeding Beck. And people will quickly forget that many were pigeonholing this player as a defence first forward which talent is, again in this writer’s opinion, over estimated.

Last edited:

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Why you want Johnson? He's playmaking soft center
Where did I say that I want him?
I’ll take either one but would prefer Zegras.

I’m certainly not an expert but if we were playing a video game and I had some say I’d try to trade any non-forward prospect we have not named Lane Hutson for Zegras. All the other talent we have on defense (I’m assuming the Ducks wouldn’t trade Zegras for a Goalie) are relatively similar players other than Hutson. He’s different for sure.

But I’m an American that didn’t grow up playing the game, I just love the Habs and love watching hockey so I may be completely off basis.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He still has plenty of time but I didn’t love the trade and I’m still on the fence, Newhook as skills but never shown any real flash of being able to dominate or a good top 6 on a contending team, will get a fresh start next season, I like the contract, that part is pretty low risk, but my expectations are lower. Any player we target need to be better than Newhook if they aren’t they need to be very good to fill a role.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He still has plenty of time but I didn’t love the trade and I’m still on the fence, Newhook as skills but never shown any real flash of being able to dominate or a good top 6 on a contending team, will get a fresh start next season, I like the contract, that part is pretty low risk, but my expectations are lower. Any player we target need to be better than Newhook if they aren’t they need to be very good to fill a role.
I'll take a 25-25 guy as my 6th best forward or on a 3rd line.

Note he's not in his prime yet.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Seems like a 3rd liner with offensive upside. HuGo paid lots to get him, but I just don't see him being anything more. He's cheap and at least can be flipped for good futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad