Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
60 pts may be pushing it as he will likely be playing on PP2 with a lack of talent (other than Roy), but 50+ is very realistic.

PP1: Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, Matheson
PP2: Newhook, Roy, ???
He's at a 46pt pace this year, with the injury & habs losing Dach in game 2 (& Slaf taking 20-30 games to start contributing at top 6 level, & moneyhands shipped out mid year).

If he gets to play with 1-2 legit top 6 contributors most of the year next season, I think a 5-10 pt jump is the minimum I'd expect with no progress on his part. Add in his own game improving & that 60pt threshold feels quite realistic to me

Reactions: Goalfield22

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
60 pts may be pushing it as he will likely be playing on PP2 with a lack of talent (other than Roy), but 50+ is very realistic.

PP1: Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, Matheson
PP2: Newhook, Roy, ???

60 points next year may be a push, but Newhook also hasn't been producing a ton on the PP this season.

It kind of depends on if Montreal can fix their PP strategy to generate more chances, as I don't think Newhook meshes well on the first PP unit anyways.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
60 points next year may be a push, but Newhook also hasn't been producing a ton on the PP this season.

It kind of depends on if Montreal can fix their PP strategy to generate more chances, as I don't think Newhook meshes well on the first PP unit anyways.
You're right. I just checked his numbers, and he hasn't had a lot of points on the PP. He's more of a 5v5 counterattack player, I guess.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Newhook is good at bringing the puck up the ice on the pp. I think he'll do well in that role on the 2nd pp unit. Then Roy is looking like he'll be a good piece on the 2nd unit.

Reactions: Tyson

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Newhook is going to be a 20-25g and 50-55pt winger.

He's a complementary winger who can't always create his own offense, but he has an insane shot, crazy speed, and a fantastic work ethic. He also plays the bumper position very well on the PP. He has looked great with Suz, Caufield and Slaf.

He's the type of player whose production will be affected if your team doesn't have a deep offense. But even on a weak offensive team like this year's habs, he's still pacing 20g and 45 points.

Every team needs these type of contributors. It helps that he can fill in at centre here and there, even if it affects his offensive game. It provides an extra layer of depth.

Last edited:

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
He's a complimentary offensive player with speed and a good shot. He doesn't have the highest level of playmaking skills. But he is able to make plays with his linemates.

I think he could score 25 goals or even more with a center like Dach. Would you still be disappointed in him if he did that? Or do you want more to not be disappointed?

I know he is a complimentary offensive player nothing bad at all but we need to find a role to him if he want a spot at long-term; look at the big picture. He need to find his identity and even if he will progress offensively, he will never be a true offensive player and need to become something the others doesn't bring without the puck like Lekhonen or Byron; Beck-Newhook in the PK can be interesting.

He has speed like a demon, lot of commitment, very good release but the way he manage the puck are not there to be an offensive player on a very good team; he remind me a lot of Lekhonen with the puck close to the net when Lekhonen have his rough days to find the net; create more often a way to miss than finding a solution and close to no poise with the puck; Lekhonen was 2 times more effective than him with or without the puck just can't finish during some streaks because he was close to be a perfect player; I miss this guy!

Like my father would said : "Ya le coeur dans palette", I don't know if he believe the NHL is too big for him with some trust issue or he just want too much or little of both but he have difficulty to manage the puck very well and create offensive play like he should because this guy was able to gain a lot of space with his speed but he don't use that space very well. He remind me a lot of a young Andrew Cogliano who has start with some offensive potential to finish to have a more specific role in the bottom of the lineup!

We started from a blank sheet or close with the idea to build a Stanley Cup winner or a dynasty in the best world don't tell me you pencil Newhook on your top 6 in this situation because we will need Price to make a comeback with a bionic knee/hip or find a way to add McDavid-Draisatl to your first line too achieve that ...

The offensive numbers he put now in a rebuild mode with a lot of holes in the lineup will not be the same or close when we would enter in competitive mode because he will not have the same use has he would have for the moment.

Since 1995-1996, except the centennial year, we have built this team too failed in putting some players in the wrong chair and the worst part we have paid a lot of this guys the big price like if they have make their job because we have nothing better than that at the time. We have a chance to build something really good from nothing, don't start to make the same mistake we saw in the last 28 years. At least the salary is not an issue for him and a very nice deal for the team!

Play him has a second liner because we have nothing better than him for the moment, tell him to become a complete player like you want in a contender team on a Top 9. If he make it you have an elite 3rd liner who can help you to bring back the 25th Stanley Cup and if he doesn't progress on 200 fooths and only his offensive numbers are the key, you wait to have something better and you trade him when he lose his Top 6 spot because his production/value will be affect!

For me, in a year or two, Newhook will replace Ryder, in the famous Ryder+Halak+2nd, and will become a new legend : Newhook + name a young d-man + choose your picks! I don't know for you but I know for me I have a lot higher expectation than Newhook to play in my Top 6 in my contender team and for me he was never an option from the start, not even close!

-------------------------------------

I will name you some of the last prospects Colorado have traded over the last years and try to find what they have in common. Tyson Jost, Ben Meyers, Justin Barron and Alex Newhook, who is a lot better than the others 3. Everyone have impressive tools without a toolbox. Never trade with Colorado again for a prospect drafted because when they let him go someone they have the eye to know if it's a keeper or not.

Colorado have let go Newhook in a win mode situation with a very friendly contract to pay the big price for Ross Colton, trade for Ryan Johansen, pay close the minimum for Drouin, bring back Parisé from retirement and now they have make like 4 trades at the deadline. You don't think if he can do something one of this guy can bring they will be happy to keep him.

What you don't seem too understand is that he came from a winning team and he was not good enough for her to keep him in the roster. And now we try to create the same thing as Colorado in the future and we will have the same issue with him if he don't find an identity or progress a lot in some way others than playing with the puck.

He is in Montréal because he failed in Colorado and he his better as a winger than a center. To resume, for Colorado, a contender team, he was not offensive enough to be a good Top 6, can't play at center and he was not effective enough without the puck to be on the Top 9 in a shutdown role and he doesn't bring a physical part in the game.

When you compete for the cup you target something specific in each of your bottom player in your lineup and this is the reason he was here because at the moment he do nothing more than a guy who can skate like the wind with a lot of commitment and doesn't make the requirements Colorado are looking to make a run for another cup!

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Newhook is going to be a 20-25g and 50-55pt winger.

He's a complementary winger who can't always create his own offense, but he has an insane shot, crazy speed, and a fantastic work ethic. He also plays the bumper position very well on the PP. He has looked great with Suz, Caufield and Slaf.

He's the type of player whose production will be affected if your team doesn't have a deep offense. But even on a weak offensive team like this year's habs, he's still pacing 20g and 45 points.

Every team needs these type of contributors. It helps that he can fill in at centre here and there, even if it affects his offensive game. It provides an extra layer of depth.

I think you underestimate his ceiling...

He's pacing 22g, 48pts in his 22-23yr old season & first time getting regular top 6 deployment.

20-25g & 50-55pts is more like his floor at this point, as he keeps improving, hits his full man-strenght & gains the confidence, I think 30g-70pts is a very realistic yearly expectations in his mid to late 20s... With an outside shot he fully pieces it together and becomes an elite top line player as he's been at every other level he's played at

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think you underestimate his ceiling...

He's pacing 22g, 48pts in his 22-23yr old season & first time getting regular top 6 deployment.

20-25g & 50-55pts is more like his floor at this point, as he keeps improving, hits his full man-strenght & gains the confidence, I think 30g-70pts is a very realistic yearly expectations in his mid to late 20s... With an outside shot he fully pieces it together and becomes an elite top line player as he's been at every other level he's played at
Yeah I don’t know if he’ll hit that level but I do think he has that upside.

Glad someone’s finally appreciated his pedigree.

I’m hoping we can stop low balling our young players’ ceilings out of fear of being let down

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm becoming quite comfortable with him being the 3C next season, if there's any way to ship Dvorak somewhere else this summer.

When he gets the puck, the pace quickens. He flies and the other team backs up and he creates space. I'd be comfortable with Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, and Evans as out centers, with guys like Beck, Kapanen, possibly Mesar in the A next year.

But I'd be good with Newhook on the wing on the Top-6.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When he gets the puck, the pace quickens. He flies and the other team backs up and he creates space. I'd be comfortable with Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, and Evans as out centers, with guys like Beck, Kapanen, possibly Mesar in the A next year.

Top 6 winger...he skates too well to be on a 3rd line.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

Yeah, he's been good at C but I wanna see what he can do on Kirby's wing. Speed + shot paired with a fast pass-first, play extender C should be a good combo in theory.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

I'm fine with him as a winger too, if it comes to that. It all depends on what we do this summer I guess, if signing a good UFA center is a possibility , then he's a winger, if signing a really good UFA winger is a possibility, then he's the 3C. As long as he knows by the time camp starts and he can go into the season with the right mindset.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I'm fine with him as a winger too, if it comes to that. It all depends on what we do this summer I guess, if signing a good UFA center is a possibility , then he's a winger, if signing a really good UFA winger is a possibility, then he's the 3C. As long as he knows by the time camp starts and he can go into the season with the right mindset.
Dvorak will be there after healing his injury, I don't see any team wanting this useless bum.

• Haha
Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Dvorak will be there after healing his injury, I don't see any team wanting this useless bum.
Dvorak and Armia both have contract years next year. We should get the best out of them and should play them together.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Yeah many entertaining variations you could derive from those 6.

Never in my 30+ years watching have we had such promise up front. All of those guys were high picks or had elite junior production.
Perhaps one of the better lineups in terms of youth since Richer, McPhee, Corson, Skrudland, Momesso, Lemieux, Dahlin, Svoboda, Chelios. The Habs at that time also had Roy who was a real difference maker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad