Player Discussion Alex Newhook

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He gives me Chris Higgins vibes...like early Habs years Chris Higgins.

I don't remember Higgins that well, because I was not following closely in those days. I think of Higgins as a workhorse who won a lot of puck battles and scraped in th slot to gain separation to bury chances Koivu created.

I see Newhook as a similar work horse with speed, but a little more finesse and does more of his damage in open ice, less in traffic. My dream comparable for what newhook will hopefully become in his prime is Maxime Afinogenov.

Reactions: 417

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't remember Higgins that well, because I was not following closely in those days. I think of Higgins as a workhorse who won a lot of puck battles and scraped in th slot to gain separation to bury chances Koivu created.

I see Newhook as a similar work horse with speed, but a little more finesse and does more of his damage in open ice, less in traffic. My dream comparable for what newhook will hopefully become in his prime is Maxime Afinogenov.
Higgins floored most of us early on with his speed and surprising skills only to come to a screeching halt in year 4.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Higgins floored most of us early on with his speed and surprising skills only to come to a screeching halt in year 4.
I remember that part. I wasn't disappointed we traded him for Gomez. It was McDonagh that I was surprised we included in the deal.

Reactions: Wats

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I remember that part. I wasn't disappointed we traded him for Gomez. It was McDonagh that I was surprised we included in the deal.
Some scout told Sather during the negotiations "see if they will throw in McDonagh". All Sather wanted to do was get rid of Gomez's contract so he could sign Gaborik. All Gainey had to do was say no. Sather needed cap room and was moving Gomez with or without McDonagh. Not Gainey's finest hour.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Some scout told Sather during the negotiations "see if they will through in McDonagh". All Sather wanted to do was get rid of Gomez's contract so he could sign Gaborik. All Gainey had to do was say no. Sather needed cap room and was moving Gomez with or without McDonagh. Not Gainey's finest hour.
Even more so that Weber, Maxwell or like Chipchura would'v eprobably been enough. Sigh.

Reactions: 26Mats and Tyson

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Some scout told Sather during the negotiations "see if they will throw in McDonagh". All Sather wanted to do was get rid of Gomez's contract so he could sign Gaborik. All Gainey had to do was say no. Sather needed cap room and was moving Gomez with or without McDonagh. Not Gainey's finest hour.

He also added Chris Higgins. Higgins had 52 pts with us (2008). This has to be one of the biggest fleece in the last 20 years. I will never understand this trade.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He also added Chris Higgins. Higgins had 52 pts with us (2008). This has to be one of the biggest fleece in the last 20 years. I will never understand this trade.
Sadly after Gainey lost his daughter in that at sea accident he was never the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garnet76

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
yeah just so bad. There's no way in hell we had to give them anything extra to take Gomez's contract.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
lol right?!?

And sure it was a nice conference final run in '10 and Gomez did play well enough that year but to get rid of Koivu to make room for that Goober so Saku doesn't retire a Hab is just an extra layer of shit on that cake.
Letting Koivu walk was another shit stain from the Gainey regime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad