Player Discussion Alex Newhook

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Has untapped offensive talent that's been hiding away on the 3rd line, on a cup contender. I'm all for him being placed in our top 6 and getting powerplay time. Excited to see how he does this year and moving forward.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I really liked Newhook at his draft year. I still believe that he can be a top 6 player. Likely at wing. But his speed, hands, two-way game will translate so well with the new system of Habs and under MSL.

Hands and speed for sure. Play him on the PK to replace Ti-Paul.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I really liked Newhook at his draft year. I still believe that he can be a top 6 player. Likely at wing. But his speed, hands, two-way game will translate so well with the new system of Habs and under MSL.

Wow....speed and sniping abilities. I like.

Reactions: HabsQC

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Awesome pickup, I've always been a fan of his and am confident there's still a lot of untapped potential. Similarly to Dach, people unfamiliar with him will criticize this move basing it on passed accomplished, but just like drafting, it's about projection. I was just re-watching Habs Draft Floor video of 2019, and I think it's pretty clear the 2 players they were aiming for were Caufield & Newhook. So good for them to get back on the past org evaluation, and paired with Hughes' knowledge, identify a target.

I believe this is a strong strategy that HuGo adopts exploiting current market inefficiencies.

Worst case, we just got a controlled asset that brings things that were sorely lacking in our projected top 6/9: Speed & motor

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Wow....speed and sniping abilities. I like.

He has good hands too. I think he needs to find a role in the NHL, sort of like Dach last year. The skill is there though. Like I said in the previous thread, we'll see what they've given up with the 31 and 37th eventually, but they didn't trade for a low upside player. They're doing what Zito does in Florida and Gorton used to do in New York by finding players with upside in situations that arent optimal for them.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So from what I've seen in the past few hours, would it be fair to say that Newhook is similar to Byron, except, you know, actually skilled? If that's the case, worst case we got ourselves a solid middle six player. Best case, is obviously much better than that.

I like the trade, and I'm excited to see what Newhook can do.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
From Marty's comments it doesn't sound like he's going to be playing bottom 6 minutes.

I wonder where they see him?

Tbh I was kind of hoping to give some of those top6 minutes to Slaf, but it's still early for him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Like Dach last year, I love this move. Had Newhook 6th his draft year. He’s not big, but he has everything else you want trait wise with superior skating, high IQ and skill level and a great shot. He was buried and miscast in Colarado- a change of scenery could lead to a mini breakout like we saw with Dach last year.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
People wanted him in the Pacioretty deal instead of Suzuki. I think he still has tons of potential. Literally watching a replay of the Dach trade last year.

Reactions: Deam78

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
My guess is he comes in, doesn't have a fixed spot at the start. By the deadline, if moved he'll fill in where Monahan was and will have a more prominent role in the season after.

Some nice speed, would help with pace. Seems to have decent hands with a pinch of physicality.

Will be interesting to see what his contract is. Possibly similar to Dach in a 4 year deal with a bit more than expected in the hopes that he develops/breaks out

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
30 points with next to no PP time while playing 13 minutes a night with 3rd/4th line players is not so bad.
Dach produced around the same when we traded for him except he was playing with Patty Kane

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Dach produced around the same when we traded for him except he was playing with Patty Kane
Yes and no, he had some time with Kane, Toews, Debrincat but it was never consistant and was mostly playing with bottom 6 players.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Actually coming around on this trade and player. Hoffman and Dvorak need to go pronto imo though. Useless players whom I don't want to take away PT from our young guns. And the depth of this draft is ok at best imo. Past the Musty and Honzek tier it feels like there is a massive dropoff. Getting Nadeau or Brindley or Hrabal isn't really gonna help more.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
On one hand, we get an actual hockey player who's still very young and still has untapped potential and who (in my opinion) just needs more icetime, for picks who may or may not make it anyway, and one of our gazillion dmen who's been buried by others as a contract swap.

On the other hand, I'm a draft kind of guy, having 3 picks in the first 37 in this particular draft was kind of perfect, cause we still need talented prospects in the pipeline, hopefully with top upside, to keep building that team of ours, and if everything goes right, having a luxury of young players we can trade to upgrade the main team.

Still, I like bold moves, and to me it's one of those, like many said already, he may be the 'Dach' of this year, and I like it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So from what I've seen in the past few hours, would it be fair to say that Newhook is similar to Byron, except, you know, actually skilled? If that's the case, worst case we got ourselves a solid middle six player. Best case, is obviously much better than that.

I like the trade, and I'm excited to see what Newhook can do.
I don’t think he’s similar to Byron at all. He’s not as small, and not as one trick as Byron- also not as good defensively. Newhook may not be tall, but he’s quite strong.

He’s very Panarin like, though probably doesn’t hit that ceiling.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
A lot of his goals in the highlight package are very nice goals. I’m not taking what avalanche fans say about him very seriously. The top heavy nature of that line up most likely makes it tough to swallow any talent drop off when in comes to depth

22 years old. I just see upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad