Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook for 31st, 37th and Fairbrother

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
@Twisted Sinister

I know you said that this looked like a panic move after Habs didn't land PLD. At least the optics looked like that. I imagine others feel the same way.

I just wanted to say that Friedman on the 32 Podcast this morning said that at last year's draft, Habs and Avs had conversations regarding a Newhook trade. So if we're to go by his word, this wasn't as much a panic move as it was someone Habs have been interested in for at least a full year.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
@Twisted Sinister

I know you said that this looked like a panic move after Habs didn't land PLD. At least the optics looked like that. I imagine others feel the same way.

I just wanted to say that Friedman on the 32 Podcast this morning said that at last year's draft, Habs and Avs had conversations regarding a Newhook trade. So if we're to go by his word, this wasn't as much a panic move as it was someone Habs have been interested in for at least a full year.

It doesn't even sound like management was ever really invested in Dubois, so it would be strange that they suddenly panic after missing out.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
@Twisted Sinister

Exactly. I don't think HuGo are in panic mode.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Same roster + Newhook should provide another top 5 pick. Team was 15th in conference pretty much all year even with all of Guhle, Caufield, Slaf playing.

Columbus improved way more and will get a better player.
Last 4 seasons Philly finished with 30 more pts and ahead of Habs 3 out of last 4 (behind by 1 point in covid season with Habs playing the lousy Canadian teams)

Not catching Buf, Wsh or Ott. Detroit maybe?
I'm not so sure. My memory may be faulty here, but I have the impression this team was performing quite well until about December last year, and then we lost half the roster. Not saying we are a playoffs team yet but if players stay healthy I would not be surprised if we are at least in the playoffs conversation until February

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Same roster + Newhook should provide another top 5 pick. Team was 15th in conference pretty much all year even with all of Guhle, Caufield, Slaf playing.

Columbus improved way more and will get a better player.
Last 4 seasons Philly finished with 30 more pts and ahead of Habs 3 out of last 4 (behind by 1 point in covid season with Habs playing the lousy Canadian teams)

Not catching Buf, Wsh or Ott. Detroit maybe?
They were better when Monahan was healthy.

A lot depends on health.

And, next year's draft isn't as strong, especially at forward...

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I'm not so sure. My memory may be faulty here, but I have the impression this team was performing quite well until about December last year, and then we lost half the roster. Not saying we are a playoffs team yet but if players stay healthy I would not be surprised if we are at least in the playoffs conversation until February
This is how it went as well we we're around 10th until December and then fell out of it as the injuries piled up

Reactions: Paddyjack

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
@Twisted Sinister

Precisely......

In aviation, we have a plan B in case plan A does not work out. You have your destination Airport, which is your top priority, and your Alternate airport, in case destination airport falls through.

same concept here.....PLD is your main target, but in the case that falls through, plan B was Newhook which was more then likely prepared in advance.

I love this new management as they can walk, chew gum and juggle chainsaws at the same time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It doesn't even sound like management was ever really invested in Dubois, so it would be strange that they suddenly panic after missing out.

I'm sure they had talks and continued up until the finish line. But they were never going to budge and were clearly aware that they might never get him. So they didn't put all their focus on him and put everything else on the back burner. They had their hands in numerous pots simultaneously.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Curious what Newhook's contract might look like. Would Dach's 3.36x4 be a fair comparable?
There's an Athletic article on the topic but I don't have a subscription.

Dobberhocckey project him at 2.5M - that sounds like great value.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I think they may pay a low pick to get rid of Hoffman. This team is young and things can start to fall into place, but Hoffman doesn't fit anywhere and we don't need a pouting veteran in the room.

Monahan Suzuki Caufield
Newhook Dach Anderson
Slafkovsky Dvorak Gallagher
RHP Evans Armia
Pezzetta

Is a fine lineup for the coming year. With injuries and movement, RHP won't be on the 4th all the time and would get opportunities. Pitlick can be sent to the AHL.
Not sure I’ve ever heard anything but nice things about his attitude? Seems chill, has wheels and a shot… He’s not part of any fantasy I have about future habs and have face palmed at the turn overs but I have him ahead of everyone south of Dach in that line up if I’m msl right now unfortunately…

edit - also I imagine Slaf with Moneyhands

edit 2- which means Dach-Suz-Coco - Slaf - Money - Anderson sound like a potential top 6 or they roll a 2b 2c with Dvo and Money splitting duties which is where Newhook, Hof, etc come in I feel

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Precisely......

In aviation, we have a plan B in case plan A does not work out. You have your destination Airport, which is your top priority, and your Alternate airport, in case destination airport falls through.

same concept here.....PLD is your main target, but in the case that falls through, plan B was Newhook which was more then likely prepared in advance.

I love this new management as they can walk, chew gum and juggle chainsaws at the same time.
why did you have the use aviation to explain the concepts of plan a and plan b :laugh:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
if Kent makes a deal, he will wait till the draft floor, so the fans get ramped up LOL
He smiled at the question, and when talking draft floor scenarios it came off to me as quite probable they may try and move up (which he mentioned first… hmmmm….) or down depending on what actually happens. Deals involving picks need to happen tonight I imagine.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
@Twisted Sinister

They are savvy businessman. These guy are professional running billions dollars worth franchise.

With the experience that Hughes and Gorton have. They don't panick, that's so Bergevin.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
why did you have the use aviation to explain the concepts of plan a and plan b :laugh:
as I use this plan A/B 15 to 18 times a month, it's natural that I would default to this explanation.

If I was 21 and still a doorman back in the day, I would use the Chick A and Chick B example as I worked the door 4 to 5 times a week.

Redundancy is key to success my friend

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This really giving me Dvorak/Shaw trade vibes. Hate seeing Avs flip the 37th for Colton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad