Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook for 31st, 37th and Fairbrother

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I'd rather Benson or Leonard along with someone like Honzek or Willander.

I agree, trading #5 with Philly could land us Leonard and another pick.

For all the fans screaming for Michov, he could turn into a superstar or he could turn into Nail Yakapov. You just don't know especially if you don't get to develop him o even see him much over the next three years in the KHL.

From what I've read, I really hope we trade #5 for picks #7 and #22; we may have to sweeten the pot a bit....whatever happens tonight is going to be a TON of FUN! :)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Would you have preferred Dubois?
I wasn't keen on Dubois and what this does is ok but depends on what follows,has to be more coming. Just a quick glance and I thought the it was Pitlick,same build,at least according to stats.
Would rather try to use the picks for a defenseman or goalie. Newhook feels like a bad fit in this roster, the upside doesn't seem as good as you'd hope. I mean he's definitely better than drafting another Mesar but you'd hope the drafting/development is actually good now. Probably going to mean Habs almost certainly will now take Dvorsky/Leonard/Reinbacher

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

For all the fans screaming for Michov, he could turn into a superstar or he could turn into Nail Yakapov. You just don't know especially if you don't get to develop him o even see him much over the next three years in the KHL.

From what I've read, I really hope we trade #5 for picks #7 and #22; we may have to sweeten the pot a bit....whatever happens tonight is going to be a TON of FUN! :)

Michkov is less likely to bust or disappoint than Leonard. Hard to know who will be the hits and who will not be in this top 10 but there will be some. There always are.

Trading 5 for 7 and another pick is gambling. What odds are we gambling on? That's the question

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

To be fair... it might be better if we don't develop our prospects LOL

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Would you have preferred Dubois?
I wasn't keen on Dubois and what this does is ok but depends on what follows,has to be more coming. Just a quick glance and I thought the it was Pitlick,same build,at least according to stats.
Nah I kept saying from the get-go, Dubois was using the Habs as a springboard to get tje hell outta the Peg and get a contract to his liking.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked PLD in Montreal for right price, but that wasn't PLD's intention.

I'm not impressed with Newhook that's all. I feel we could have kept the 37th and still got him.

Was hoping for a goalie (Hrabal) to be drdlafted in the 2nd... oh well. Now we wait and see if St-Louis and company can get Newhook to reach his potential.

Reactions: Maitz

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Would rather try to use the picks for a defenseman or goalie. Newhook feels like a bad fit in this roster, the upside doesn't seem as good as you'd hope. I mean he's definitely better than drafting another Mesar but you'd hope the drafting/development is actually good now. Probably going to mean Habs almost certainly will now take Dvorsky/Leonard/Reinbacher
A lot can still happen,at least I certainly hope there is more to come.

Reactions: Wats

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Nah I kept saying from the get-go, Dubois was using the Habs as a springboard to get tje hell outta the Peg and get a contract to his liking.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked PLD in Montreal for right price, but that wasn't PLD's intention.

I'm not impressed with Newhook that's all. I feel we could have kept the 37th and still got him.

Was hoping for a goalie (Hrabal) to be drdlafted in the 2nd... oh well. Now we wait and see if St-Louis and company can get Newhook to reach his potential.
Yes the right price was key for Dubois,but you could see this coming.

I can't really comment on Newhook as not familiar with him but got a sense of Pitlick as I mentioned earlier from limited clips.

Reactions: Wats

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
@Twisted Sinister

I know you said that this looked like a panic move after Habs didn't land PLD. At least the optics looked like that. I imagine others feel the same way.

I just wanted to say that Friedman on the 32 Podcast this morning said that at last year's draft, Habs and Avs had conversations regarding a Newhook trade. So if we're to go by his word, this wasn't as much a panic move as it was someone Habs have been interested in for at least a full year.
I think people are a bit confused by having a GM who is working on several courses of action at the same time.

Since those alternative courses of action don't involve signing Brendan Prust or a washed up Danny Briere, but instead are making a splash, people interpret these as panic moves.

Last year we had the same conversation with PLD and Dach.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
He was measured in 2019 at the combine as 5'10.5 and 192 lbs....basically an inch short of Ryan Leonard's size who has everyone here referring to him as a power forward lol.

He should be listed at 5'11 as you are supposed to round up, size just really isn't an issue in his case as he is a tank.
We can analyse the numbers, but when he's on the ice he looks short. I don't care that much about the height of a forward though, Habs have had many fantastic short players over the years.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
as I use this plan A/B 15 to 18 times a month, it's natural that I would default to this explanation.

If I was 21 and still a doorman back in the day, I would use the Chick A and Chick B example as I worked the door 4 to 5 times a week.

Redundancy is key to success my friend
everyone knows what plan A and plan B is....

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I'd rather Benson or Leonard along with someone like Honzek or Willander.

You can certainly add Musty, one of my favorite. If Habs are able to trade 5 vs 7 and 22, go for it. You have still a chance to grab Benson or Leonard. 22 that would be a lot of quality players available! Musty, Honzek range.

Reactions: Natey

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I'm not so sure. My memory may be faulty here, but I have the impression this team was performing quite well until about December last year, and then we lost half the roster. Not saying we are a playoffs team yet but if players stay healthy I would not be surprised if we are at least in the playoffs conversation until February
Check it out yourself… already posted end of months rankings in conference. Went downhill way before top guys were out Guhle, Caufield, Slaf. Monahan well he is a part-time player for years now. And Matheson came back + RHP did very well.

but its being repeated in here that much is true

You can certainly add Musty, one of my favorite. If Habs are able to trade 5 vs 7 and 22, go for it. You have still a chance to grab Benson or Leonard. 22 that would be a lot of quality players available! Musty, Honzek range.
They are greedy. They want even more. 7+ 22 and Foerster or Gauthier. Or Hart. Craziest ones say Konecny.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Newhook might be a good fit on this PP. He's shown the ability to be a good bumper player. I see some potential synergy with caufield in that sense..... Short bumper plays where the goalie is focused on caufield's threat.

Reactions: Supersonic

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Michkov is less likely to bust or disappoint than Leonard. Hard to know who will be the hits and who will not be in this top 10 but there will be some. There always are.

Trading 5 for 7 and another pick is gambling. What odds are we gambling on? That's the question
It means for Habs pick #5 or #7 is about the same if they value equally the players. It means they have an eye on few players that will be available at #22, and it's still a nice spot to draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad