Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook for 31st, 37th and Fairbrother

John B

Nov 19, 2016
31st doesnt matter but too bad we dont have 37th?
Newhook is likely better or equal to a player getting drafted with the 37th pick as well. That being said, it's possible to get a similar player (middle 6 forward) to Newhook with both picks. It's potentially giving up two middle six guys for one. If Newhook takes another step with the Habs like Kirby Dach did, it was worth it. If he doesn't, it's potentially a high price to pay for a middle six forward.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Habs added another forward....something has to give...way too many forwards with also a few youngsters deserving a look.
I agree......we have a bunch of potential NHLers with no clear path to the NHL at this point.

Assuming our top youngish players assume our top 6 roles in the future, this is what it could look like...

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Michkov/Leonard/Smith

For our bottom 6, we have two guys under contract for a number of years. Andy and Gally

Leaving 4 roster spots on our bottom two lines for the likes of....

Farrell
Kidney
Roy
Beck
Mesar
Heinemen
RHP
Ylonen

Something has to give in the future. Those guys above all have NHL futures. If we draft MIchkov, it gives us room to wait and develop at least one of them to increase trade value in the future.

Beck is tailor made for 3rd line centre role.

Kidney for a 4th line centre of the future?

Heinemen seems like a good checking line dude. Same with Ylonen.

Farrell has promise, but could be an odd man out.

RHP thrives in a top 6 role, as would Roy. No room for those guys in our top 6.

Some of these guys remain AHLers for life I assume.

Good problem to have, but more can be done to bring in elite talent.

All this leads me to the possibility of trading back and drafting Reinbacher at 7 and Hrabal at 22.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Good problem to have, but more can be done to bring in elite talent.

All this leads me to the possibility of trading back and drafting Reinbacher at 7 and Hrabal at 22.
None of them have a reasonable shot of being elite in the NHL, therefore it doesn't help to trade back and give up the chance to pick one of Smith or Michkov or Carlsson -- three prospects who do have a reasonable shot of being elite in the NHL.

Reactions: Rozz and waitin425

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Trade Alert.
Montreal trades #5 pick to Philly for the #7 pick and #22

#5 Philly picks Mitchov.
(For every Habs fan screaming no!!!....Nail Yakapov says hello!)
He maybe a great talent but you never know folks.

#7 Montreal take Lenord.
#22 Montreal takes Harbal/Wood/Perreault...we should have a decent choice.

So you add Newhook, Lenord and another good young kid.

Not bad!
Does this all happen before or after you take melatonin for the sleep disorder?

Reactions: DAChampion

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Thank you. Now I have Pepsi on my keyboard.
1687952855591.png

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We do have a ton of forwards:

Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Gallagher
Anderson
Monahan
Newhook
Hoffman
RHP
Dvorak
Armia
Dach
Evans
Pitlick (AHL)
Pezzetta (AHL?)

I can see Farrell, Heineman starting in the AHL along with Roy and Kidney.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'll say this about the Newhook/Dach acquisition philosophy; there's merit to it considering the insane progress of those types of players picked in the Seattle and Vegas expansion. McCann, Karlson, etc. These youngsters always had potential and some measure of success early but couldn't get the "chair". Well, when they got it... and exploded.

I'm on a wait and see approach here; I LOVE the draft way too much so I'm partial to picks, but if I'm cerebral about it... some teams would be better off to always trade them and get NHL players on deck instead :laugh:

Plus, Dach did way better than I thought so I'll STFU :laugh:

We do have a ton of forwards:

Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Gallagher
Anderson
Monahan
Newhook
Hoffman
RHP
Dvorak
Armia
Dach
Evans
Pitlick (AHL)
Pezzetta (AHL?)

I can see Farrell, Heineman starting in the AHL along with Roy and Kidney.
D-Vo, Armia, Gallagher (not happening) and Hoffman stick out. Two of them will be leaving I guess.

I'm guessing Belzile re-signs, unless he goes to TBay.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
There's gotta be some forward moves lined up.

Slaf Suzuki Caufield
Monahan Dach Newhook
Gallagher Dvorak Anderson
Hoffman Evans Armia
Pezzetta Pitlick RHP
Ylonen

They also talked about bringing Gurianov back. That's 16 players and only Slaf can be sent down which we know they are unlikely to do.

You also have too many bodies on defense

Matheson Barron
Guhle Savard
Harris Kovacevic
Edmundson Xhekaj
Wideman
Dvorak, Armia, Hoffman, RHP, Pitlick, Ylonen and Pezetta have got to go

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
None of them have a reasonable shot of being elite in the NHL, therefore it doesn't help to trade back and give up the chance to pick one of Smith or Michkov or Carlsson -- three prospects who do have a reasonable shot of being elite in the NHL.
I agree. I fear that is what we are moving towards though. I want Michkov first and foremost but will settle for Smith/Carlsson.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I believe if Smith or Carlsson become available, they stand pat and make the pick. Not sure they do that for Michkov, although I would be happy if they do take him.

I'll even say that if Smith and Carlsson are both off the board, and you know who you want, you keep the 5th and take him, whether that be Leonard or Reinbacher.

If you have Leonard, Reinbacher, Dvorsky & Benson in a tier of players you want, then you can move back a few spots because you're still guaranteed to get one of the players you want while also adding another asset or two along the way.

Reactions: Gustave

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
LOL I love this fan base. Hankering for a Dach like move since the season ended. We pull one off and immediately it's an over-payment. :laugh:
I may be wrong but 31 and 37 are not worth a heck of a lot more than 13. Why anyone thought replicating the Dach trade was ever going to be easy I don't know. But I have a good feeling about it. On the one hand we traded for an under achiever from a tank team and on the other from a Stanley Cup Championship contender. Hughes went fill spectrum to get these deals done. That has to be impressive right!
I think it’s because HFBoards lives for the draft. And by trading two picks like this, HFBoardsFan gets to see less picks come up on draft day. Draft day is this board’s copium, opium, crack.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Will take a wait’n’see approach to this trade.

I am constantly pondering what kind of team will be built by Hugo.

News of the deal yesterday triggered a placeholder conclusion, of sorts.

Based on the active roster and what is in the stable, I’d say Habs are trending toward or shaping up to be much like the Carolina Hurricanes.

Not sure how I feel about that. Should be happy or happier with that.

There’s a definite part of me that wants “more” but I dunno, fate, such as picking 5th OA this year, seems to stand in the way.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I think it’s because HFBoards lives for the draft. And by trading two picks like this, HFBoardsFan gets to see less picks come up on draft day. Draft day is this board’s copium, opium, crack.
100% dans le mile.

We are a niche board, a specialty item of the fanbase. We rate prospects as if our life depends on it and we pencil projected lineups with 6-8 of them cramed in. That's not normal, and not how it works.

So I'm aware of my bias, and the hope here is to get that 1st round pick to hit. The rest is just a crapshoot if we are being honest. Roster construction comes from trades, UFA's, etc and the odd great prospect picked in the 2-7th rounds.

Reactions: dinodebino

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
LOL I love this fan base. Hankering for a Dach like move since the season ended. We pull one off and immediately it's an over-payment. :laugh:
I may be wrong but 31 and 37 are not worth a heck of a lot more than 13. Why anyone thought replicating the Dach trade was ever going to be easy I don't know. But I have a good feeling about it. On the one hand we traded for an under achiever from a tank team and on the other from a Stanley Cup Championship contender. Hughes went fill spectrum to get these deals done. That has to be impressive right!

I see it the same way. I think there are people who got a little dramatic that they gave up 2 picks in a "deep draft." Even though what they gave for Newhook was less than what they gave for Dach last year.

In 2 seasons, Newhook has produced more than Dach did in 3 seasons when Habs acquired him (mind you, he was held back due to injuries).

Some people say Newhook was on an offensive team and could only be a 30-point player. Meanwhile, when Dach was acquired, he had 26 pts playing on a lines with guys like Toews, Kane and/or DeBrincat.

Just like Dach, Habs bring in a kid who has potential. We already love Dach after one year. I think fans will love Newhook, too. He'll be different, but he will also be a favorite.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I remember when I was in a cult. The Barginbin cult. Each year, we all would stand around the dumpster and pick up absolute garbage players. And then we would all be excited for our dumpster deals.

People would try to save me, "Hey, he hasn't made any good trades for center depth", and I would always reply back, shark-eyed, "centers are hard to get" and go for another hit of the dumpster dive.
And now we have traded for two talented young centers in Dach and Newhook, and people are still.not happy. There are people here that would complain if Bedard falls to 5th and we draft him.

I think Newhook is a good deal, and giving up two maybe's and a longshot prospect isn't too steep a price to pay.

Also, I'd rather trade what we did for Newhook over what the Kings gave for Dubois.

I prefer big bodied players that can hit hard and smash other players but IF the Habs can surround the smaller guys with guys like Slafkovsky, we're good.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Well today is the day.

Hopefully we don't just pick 5th.

Whether that's trading Anderson, Dvorak, etc or the pick itself. Hopefully today is the day.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Will take a wait’n’see approach to this trade.

I am constantly pondering what kind of team will be built by Hugo.

News of the deal yesterday triggered a placeholder conclusion, of sorts.

Based on the active roster and what is in the stable, I’d say Habs are trending toward or shaping up to be much like the Carolina Hurricanes.

Not sure how I feel about that. Should be happy or happier with that.

There’s a definite part of me that wants “more” but I dunno, fate, such as picking 5th OA this year, seems to stand in the way.

Is today's pick one of our last chances to get a real legit star?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad