Confirmed with Link: Alex Newhook for 31st, 37th and Fairbrother

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
everyone knows what plan A and plan B is....
noted.....you should mention this to posters who were thinking this was a PANIC move, a knee jerk reaction after losing out on PLD.....hey!!....maybe someone will tell YOU we know what Plan A and Plan B is

:dunno:

Newhook doesnt have a hockey name.
More like fishing....my guess is @Rapala is buying the jersey now lol

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala and Redux91

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I agree, trading #5 with Philly could land us Leonard and another pick.

For all the fans screaming for Michov, he could turn into a superstar or he could turn into Nail Yakapov. You just don't know especially if you don't get to develop him o even see him much over the next three years in the KHL.

From what I've read, I really hope we trade #5 for picks #7 and #22; we may have to sweeten the pot a bit....whatever happens tonight is going to be a TON of FUN! :)
Highly unlikely........Hey......Bedard can turn into a Matt Duchene too

Fantilli into a Strome
Carlsson into a De la Rose
Smith into a Drouin

At some point you gotta just make the pick and go with the best player available and worry about the bust factor later

Reactions: rve24 and junyab

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
@Twisted Sinister

I know you said that this looked like a panic move after Habs didn't land PLD. At least the optics looked like that. I imagine others feel the same way.

I just wanted to say that Friedman on the 32 Podcast this morning said that at last year's draft, Habs and Avs had conversations regarding a Newhook trade. So if we're to go by his word, this wasn't as much a panic move as it was someone Habs have been interested in for at least a full year.

Thanks for posting this.

I trust hockey beat reporter/talking heads about as far as I can throw them, and Friedman definitely appears to be playing Monday morning quarterback here. But it wouldn't be shocking. Hughes seems to love going after his former clients.

I think Newhook probably could have been had for the one pick, given Colorado's cap situation, and we overpaid with two, which is the panic move. It feels like they needed to save face.

Nevertheless, I still think this just isn't the player we need in this organization right now. Even if he hits his 60-70 point ceiling, which is no guarantee, it would be another small forward in the top six, which I feel is a net negative.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for posting this.

I trust hockey beat reporter/talking heads about as far as I can throw them, and Friedman definitely appears to be playing Monday morning quarterback here. But it wouldn't be shocking. Hughes seems to love going after his former clients.

I think Newhook probably could have been had for the one pick, given Colorado's cap situation, and we overpaid with two, which is the panic move. It feels like they needed to save face.

Nevertheless, I still think this just isn't the player we need in this organization right now. Even if he hits his 60-70 point ceiling, which is no guarantee, it would be another small forward in the top six, which I feel is a net negative.
If he hits 60 pts per year, you landed a legit top 6 players for draft picks we historically spend on guys like Poehling, McCarron, Tinordi, Ylonen, Tuch, De la Rose, Fucale, Struble, Mysak…

I don’t know in what world is that a negative no matter what size the said player is

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
If he hits 60 pts per year, you landed a legit top 6 players for draft picks we historically spend on guys like Poehling, McCarron, Tinordi, Ylonen, Tuch, De la Rose, Fucale, Struble, Mysak…

I don’t know in what world is that a negative no matter what size the said player is

It's because he'll be taking up a roster spot in the top 6, which already contains the likes of Suzuki and Caufield. That type of makeup won't bring you playoff success.

This is also a much deeper draft than usual, I'm not sure why everyone is suddenly dismissing the value of the picks. Sounds like cope.

Reactions: Talik Sanis

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Thanks for posting this.

panic move because instead of having Newhook + 0,08 % chance to get an NHL player in 4-5 years, we will get only Newhook ? Maybe Hughes will trade to get another selection in the first or in the 2nd

Maybe you need a drink to relax

baby+yoda+cocktail.jpg

Reactions: rve24

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
panic move because instead of having Newhook + 0,08 % chance to get an NHL player in 4-5 years, we will get only Newhook ? Maybe Hughes will trade to get another selection in the first or in the 2nd

Maybe you need a drink to relax

View attachment 722800

Nah.

We got Beck last year around that spot in a weak draft, and Hutson around 60. Picks have value. These arguments are ridiculous.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Newhook might be a good fit on this PP. He's shown the ability to be a good bumper player. I see some potential synergy with caufield in that sense..... Short bumper plays where the goalie is focused on caufield's threat.
Appearantly he’s quite good in the transition department too, so between both things he should help us out a lot next year, at least from a “oh man I gotta watch this shitshow of a team for 60 minutes again” perspective

I’m cautiously optimistic MSL will know how to unlock another gear in him

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Just a guess since we'll have to wait how it all works out during camp, but Newhook seems to be a good candidate for the first line with Suzuki and Caufield in a puck retrieval kind of role. A better version of Anderson

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't really get the idea it was a panic move. It fits the exact template of what they did last year with Dach, we have an obvious hole at LW, and he's a 22 y/o with upside who pretty much exactly matches what they've been talking about doing for 2 years now. It can just be a Plan B without being a panic move, no?

It's not like just keeping those picks and taking players at 31 and 37 would have pissed off the fanbase or something.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Good trade value n potential wise.
Maybe it doesnt work out but well worth the price paid to see.
Size issue can be worked out later IF needed. Much easier to flip talent for grinders down the road.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
It's because he'll be taking up a roster spot in the top 6, which already contains the likes of Suzuki and Caufield. That type of makeup won't bring you playoff success.

This is also a much deeper draft than usual, I'm not sure why everyone is suddenly dismissing the value of the picks. Sounds like cope.
I'm pleased to see that some people have the courage to state facts plainly.

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Good trade value n potential wise.
Maybe it doesnt work out but well worth the price paid to see.
Size issue can be worked out later IF needed. Much easier to flip talent for grinders down the road.
The existence of some fourth line plug does not somehow compensate for the fact that your top six players - and god help us if Newhook is in our top six future plans - are all middling talents and relatively diminutive. Caufield and Michkov, if he pans out, have superstar talent which can be built around, but Newhook and Suzuki, as examples, are just dead weight when everyone is that size.

Someone pointed out we likely would have used 31 on Ethan Gauthier.

With that being a likely outcome, I'm glad we traded it.
Being glad that one level of managerial incompetence saved us from another level of managerial incompetence...

I mean, I get that. Truely, I do, but it's a low bar.

• Haha
Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The existence of some fourth line plug does not somehow compensate for the fact that your top six players - and god help us if Newhook is in our top six future plans - are all middling talents and relatively diminutive. Caufield and Michkov, if he pans out, have superstar talent which can be built around, but Newhook and Suzuki, as examples, are just dead weight when everyone is that size.

Being glad that one level of managerial incompetence saved us from another level of managerial incompetence...

I mean, I get that. Truely, I do, but it's a low bar.

Do Dach n Slaf project as future top 6 players? Or have you written them off already also. Guess that 5% chance ( look up nhl averages) of either of those picks even playing any significant games let alone a superstar big body top 6er.......
Again you can always flip talent for bigger bodies. Newhook gets highlighted n drops 50/60 a year you easily could recoup those picks ( and even do better) down the road.
Manage the assets to cotinously improve. Using draft, managing t0 player roster, trades, FAs whatever. Just keep improving the asset bank. And they did that.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Twisted Sinister

Oct 8, 2014
Someone pointed out we likely would have used 31 on Ethan Gauthier.

With that being a likely outcome, I'm glad we traded it.

I mean, yeah, he's not my favorite in that spot, but for all my misgivings with this current management team, favoring guys in the Q doesn't seem to be one of their issues.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Do Dach n Slaf project as future top 6 players? Or have you written them off already also. Guess that 5% chance ( look up nhl averages) of either of those picks even playing any significant games let alone a superstar big body top 6er.......
Again you can always flip talent for bigger bodies. Newhook gets highlighted n drops 50/60 a year you easily could recoup those picks ( and even do better) down the road.
Manage the assets to cotinously improve. Using draft, managing t0 player roster, trades, FAs whatever. Just keep improving the asset bank. And they did that.
Slaf tops out as a third liner, which leaves Dach as the only insulation for, at this juncture, four other top six forwards of limited size.

And, no, they just wasted two solid draft picks in a historic year for a middling second-third line player with no defining high-end skill or attribute, when we are already overloaded with middling, small talent and players who project as such. It would have been better to buy the magic beans and hope that, in a unique draft year, we were able to identify high end talent or at least balanced talent, in the late first and early second rounds.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I would love to trade back with NSH to get Askarov. What else would they have to add along with 15th overall?

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Slaf tops out as a third liner, which leaves Dach as the only insulation for, at this juncture, four other top six forwards of limited size.

And, no, they just wasted two solid draft picks in a historic year for a middling second-third line player with no defining high-end skill or attribute, when we are already overloaded with middling, small talent and players who project as such. It would have been better to buy the magic beans and hope that, in a unique draft year, we were able to identify high end talent or at least balanced talent, in the late first and early second rounds.

I'll bet ya more hockey people would agree Newhook with no high-end skill or attribute has more skill than the 31st pick or the 37th in this unique draft.
Talent thst won't be ready to dress in a game for 3 years and then will need a year or 2 to get up to speed.
I'll take the chance on a given talent over the magic beans.
Keep buying those lotto tics as a retirementplan. I prefer the continuos improvement of assets plan.

All good. I'm sure 2 of 31 teams will get lucky in picks 31-40 and get a serviceable player. Heck maybe even a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad