Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think it was only his last 20 games or so that he was bad.
Correct, he was playing some of the best hockey of his career before those last 20 games.

Then he had the knee injury that we didn't hear about until after he was traded. Another of our players had the same injury and missed over a month, while Granlund never missed a shift.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Someone pointed out his "hunched over" skating style and now its become a total distraction for me when I watch him play.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The thing that I have heard about him that gives me pause is that he a poor defensive player. In their words, if he isn't playing top 6, then he isn't much good to you.

This remainder of the season will be a big audition for him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The thing that I have heard about him that gives me pause is that he a poor defensive player. In their words, if he isn't playing top 6, then he isn't much good to you.

This remainder of the season will be a big audition for him.

He's a poor defensive player for a center, it's why several GMs now have considered him a wing. He's not great in the d-zone for a winger, but not a complete liability either.

I'd kind of like to see him with JEE/Foligno (if Kunin is the 3C); as much as I want Greenway to be something special, he seems to have stagnated in his growth this year. Let him be the wing that can cheat out of the zone while the other 2 play defense.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I know he’s supposed to be very poor at center but I would still like to see it for myself with this roster for a stretch. I think it would only benefit the team if they find out whether he can play here longer than the remainder of the season. If he’s strictly a wing, yes, no future here.

Clearly, he’s likely viewed internally as open cap space this offseason and they probably don’t want to dink around with potential playoff aspirations yet with a new player at an important position. But we’ve watched Rask play hockey too many times this year as well. In addition to that, I don’t see Kunin as a center in this league, Donato has played in the middle, and Koivu still isn’t playing well. It’s not like the team is bursting at the seems with good options.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Idk he’s definitely got skill and all, but he makes at least 3 or 4 stupid plays a game.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Galchenyuk reminds me of a bigger, lankier, Fiala, circa March 2019. Lots of giveaways, but has some puck skills, and offensive talent. Seems to lack game judgement.

Lightning struck in Fiala's case. With a bit of tough love, and/or encouragement, could Galch be a half assed middle six offensive C? We've already got JEE to be our #1 defensive C, and Staal for one more year as our #1C. Sturm, presumably, can be a lesser version of JEE. We need a C that can produce some offense, just not for the other team.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Galchenyuk reminds me of a bigger, lankier, Fiala, circa March 2019. Lots of giveaways, but has some puck skills, and offensive talent. Seems to lack game judgement.

Lightning struck in Fiala's case. With a bit of tough love, and/or encouragement, could Galch be a half assed middle six offensive C? We've already got JEE to be our #1 defensive C, and Staal for one more year as our #1C. Sturm, presumably, can be a lesser version of JEE. We need a C that can produce some offense, just not for the other team.

I have a feeling with some time in our system, Chucky can get over some of the defensive lapses in his game. We've seen it happen with Fiala, might see the same happen with him. We have one of the best defensive systems in the league, so I figure his game would improve in that aspect over time.

There's really no downside to bringing him back, so I'm hoping Guerin ultimately decides to do it. The fact that he can speak Russian is a nice plus too.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yep, spent most of his childhood in Russia. Could be an intriguing player to try with Kap next year, especially if he re-signs for cheap.

He's actually Belarusian and was born in Wisconsin, so I could see the confusion.

He had a Russian passport. He was a dual-citizen of Russia and the United States.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He had a Russian passport. He was a dual-citizen of Russia and the United States.

His family is from Minsk, but since Belarus was a member of the Soviet Union, I guess you could consider them to be de facto Russian. He grew up in Russia and Russian is his first language, so he is practically Russian.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I knew he was born in the WI, and was an American citizen, hence the question. Excuse me for not knowing all the details of his early life, and asking a question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nsjohnson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad