Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Hard to notice him with Fiala melting the ice everywhere he skates. Not sure what clicked the light on but damn, liking this Fiala kid. Sorry for all the awful #### I've said about you GMPF. Fiala for Granlund wasn't a cow for magic beans after all.......or was it? Anyone have a Granlund Cow gif?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s allegedly his birthday today or whatever

Pretty presumptuous of him to go to a new team and have a birthday the next day, but congrats I guess

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Well Chucky had 0 playing time with either Kunin or Zucc, and Kunin and Zucc haven't really had much time together. So invisible is probably isn't really a bad thing.
Yeah, invisible in 4-0 shutout is not the worst thing in the world.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
I thought he was just fine considering, new team, new system, long day with travel etc. Skating was good not great, passes on the tape, backchecks, no clue on shot as he deffered a couple of times. I think he needs a few more games and some film work. Only disappointing thing to me is he didn't flash any upside skill in particular.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I kind of feel sorry for this kid. From all accounts, it hasn't been a lack of effort holding him back. To me it looks like a case of a player badly managed through his development process, combined with some injuries.

He is still a young player with talent. It would be cool to see him regain some confidence and prove us all wrong.

Reactions: a79krgm and fgobuzz

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hard to notice him with Fiala melting the ice everywhere he skates. Not sure what clicked the light on but damn, liking this Fiala kid. Sorry for all the awful #### I've said about you GMPF. Fiala for Granlund wasn't a cow for magic beans after all.......or was it? Anyone have a Granlund Cow gif?
Granlund is within 1 goal of Fiala (Granlund has 13, Fiala has 14)... the difference is assists. I seriously believe Granlund's problem was purely usage in Nashville. Laviolette got fired, Granlund is scoring, but still not picking up his bread and butter assists he was known for.

Granlund is going to be the steal of the this Summer's FA class.

Last edited:

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Granlund is within 1 goal of Fiala (Granlund has 13, Fiala has 14)... the difference is assists. I seriously believe Granlund's problem was purely usage in Nashville. Laviolette got, Granlund is scoring, but still not picking up his bread and butter assists he was known for.

I recall reading that Granlund has been better lately too.....but I don’t know what that means in terms of results or for how long.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hopefully his "lifestyle problems" are behind him, but at this point I don't think it matters. I doubt that he will be kept beyond this year.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Granlund is within 1 goal of Fiala (Granlund has 13, Fiala has 14)... the difference is assists. I seriously believe Granlund's problem was purely usage in Nashville. Laviolette got fired, Granlund is scoring, but still not picking up his bread and butter assists he was known for.

Doesn't help that the Preds forwards in general are having a tough time scoring.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Doesn't help that the Preds forwards in general are having a tough time scoring.

They have 8 FWDs with 10g or more this year. Arvidsson (injury) isn't the same player he was last year.

NSH isn't the smashville team anymore, they've lost/dumped that part of their identity. Their goaltending has been worse than MNs this year too. Their d-corps isn't near as good as it's been forever (or so it seems).

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
They have 8 FWDs with 10g or more this year. Arvidsson (injury) isn't the same player he was last year.

NSH isn't the smashville team anymore, they've lost/dumped that part of their identity. Their goaltending has been worse than MNs this year too. Their d-corps isn't near as good as it's been forever (or so it seems).
With 1 guy who has shown some consistency putting the puck in the net that isn't a defenseman. They are scoring by committee and have no great finisher that Granlund needs to rack up those assists.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
With 1 guy who has shown some consistency putting the puck in the net that isn't a defenseman. They are scoring by committee and have no great finisher that Granlund needs to rack up those assists.

Granny hasn't been playing well until recently. Bad fit, misuse, or whatever, he's been pretty invisible a lot of games. Even if it's a lot of scoring by committee, he should have more than 1 PP assist for the season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granny hasn't been playing well until recently. Bad fit, misuse, or whatever, he's been pretty invisible a lot of games. Even if it's a lot of scoring by committee, he should have more than 1 PP assist for the season.
If you remember his time here... the Wild ran their offense through him when he was on the ice. Whenever you watch Nashville, they run their offense through others. Granlund is a guy you need to have the puck on his stick so you can take advantage of his vision. Granlund with Fiala would be awesome because they'd be creating for each other. They could utilize each other's strengths.

Nashville has other players trying to do the puck control work, and they don't have the vision he has, doesn't asked to carry the puck near as much in any zone.

Hard for him to make plays as a playmaker the way they've utilized him in games. He'll get to another team next year, and his game is going to explode again...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If you remember his time here... the Wild ran their offense through him when he was on the ice. Whenever you watch Nashville, they run their offense through others. Granlund is a guy you need to have the puck on his stick so you can take advantage of his vision. Granlund with Fiala would be awesome because they'd be creating for each other. They could utilize each other's strengths.

Nashville has other players trying to do the puck control work, and they don't have the vision he has, doesn't asked to carry the puck near as much in any zone.

Hard for him to make plays as a playmaker the way they've utilized him in games. He'll get to another team next year, and his game is going to explode again...

I remember Granny's last 40 or so games here when everyone was asking what was wrong with him. He was getting a lot of PP points, but his 5v5 games was off. It was like he regressed to the player he was in his early seasons.

It still doesn't explain his complete lack of effectiveness on the PP for NSH this year. Granny is a guy I wouldn't touch with a longterm deal, he'll end up as some other team's Zuccerello.

I don't think Fiala/Granny would be good together. Fiala would be the one running the offense, doing the zone entries, and the puck would be on his stick. He has better puck control, is better at entries and has as equal vision as Granny.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If Chucky plays well, say scores 8 goals and has 8 assists, doesn't play too bad in his own end, I wonder if it makes sense to see if a guy who can score 20-30 goals in the past and is only 26 can help our young team going forward. I'm not sure it makes sense to do this though.

We need room for all other wingers. Chucky is a guy who needs 1-2 line time and PP time. Is it fair to sign him for a year and see what he can do, as in fair to the other guys in the room who have been coveting that same spot?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think it was only his last 20 games or so that he was bad.

It was around Thanksgiving when people started wondering what was wrong with him.

Nino's bad play got most of the attention. It wasn't until after he was traded; which was about 20 games; that Granny's game had turned sour really started to get looked at.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Any thoughts on flipping him at the trade deadline? What would be the ask?

I think MN is stuck with him for the rest of the season. It's kind of a catch 22 for them. If he plays well the Wild should still be in the Playoff hunt, so you keep him for that. If he plays badly then he's not worth much of anything.

If Pit could have gotten even a 3rd for him I think he would have had his bags packed for him, they need all the cap space they can get.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Chucky plays well, say scores 8 goals and has 8 assists, doesn't play too bad in his own end, I wonder if it makes sense to see if a guy who can score 20-30 goals in the past and is only 26 can help our young team going forward. I'm not sure it makes sense to do this though.

We need room for all other wingers. Chucky is a guy who needs 1-2 line time and PP time. Is it fair to sign him for a year and see what he can do, as in fair to the other guys in the room who have been coveting that same spot?

If he does that he probably gets a nice contract from someone as a UFA to be a middle-6 FWD.

I think the only way MN re-signs him is on a cheap 1 year deal if he looks like he can play the 3C for them next year.

Reactions: Nsjohnson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad