Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Galchenyuk was included in the trade for his cap hit, and PIT wanted to get rid of him. This is a guy I only want on a one year deal, or a very reasonable short term deal (i.e. 2/5M). I'm cool with adding in some significant bonuses if he hits certain numbers... more power to him if he has finally figured things out, but I'm not holding my breath.

If he can play a middle six, offensive C role, being the yang to JEE's yin, then we put off the Center problem for one more year, or at least allow Guerin to not make a panicky deal for a C. If Dumba's game comes around next year he will be worth a lot more in trade for a C, or Khovanov might be ready, or we might get lucky in the lottery and get Byfield(seriously, it happened to me in Tankathon).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Galchenyuk was included in the trade for his cap hit, and PIT wanted to get rid of him. This is a guy I only want on a one year deal, or a very reasonable short term deal (i.e. 2/5M). I'm cool with adding in some significant bonuses if he hits certain numbers... more power to him if he has finally figured things out, but I'm not holding my breath.

If he can play a middle six, offensive C role, being the yang to JEE's yin, then we put off the Center problem for one more year, or at least allow Guerin to not make a panicky deal for a C. If Dumba's game comes around next year he will be worth a lot more in trade for a C, or Khovanov might be ready, or we might get lucky in the lottery and get Byfield(seriously, it happened to me in Tankathon).
Galchenyuk isn't eligible for that kind of contract

P10p

May 15, 2012

If we are 11th its likely we won't be eligible to even win the lottery.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
why would we not be eligible to win the lottery if we are #11?
Sounds like we're going back to the old lottery draft system for this year.
Also sounds like we are eligible to play ourselves into the playoffs under the rumored plan.

Breaking down the report of a wild, 24-team playoff proposal for an NHL return after COVID-19

Each division plays to set the standings to see who is in the playoffs and what seed.

3 game series for each division.
1 vs 2 to see who wins the division and who is the 2nd in the divison.
3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 to see who else makes the playoffs from the division.

That would have us in a 3 game series, thus not eligible for the lottery.

Reactions: BagHead

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
So, just out of curiosity (as a Habs fan, who drafted Galchenyuk), does Wild keep Galchy for at least another season?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Sigh I said let him go before but I just don't think i can give up on the age and potential to get it together. Sign him again whats the harm honestly?

Rather us just waive him at some point if it really came down to it. We need centers and hes still semi young, better than overpaying for someone in the FA. Atleast galy is likely to sign a 1 year cheap prove yourself deal.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Did you guys like him at all? I've always liked Chucky and want to see him do well. You think you guys will re-sign him?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Did you guys like him at all? I've always liked Chucky and want to see him do well. You think you guys will re-sign him?
I don't think there's ever been a real chance that they'd re-sign him. He was okay filler, but I'm still pretty sure he was just in that deal for cap purposes.

He had some okay games, but he doesn't seem like a very effective player.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He had some big goals, but he was ineffective in the playoffs. I also doubt they re-sign him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
No kidding, that is pretty brutal! Goes a bit beyond "the writing is on the wall".

Anyway, my best wishes to Galchenyuk, but he was as Talon said, ok at best and terrible at worst. And the real problem is that we saw the full range of it within the span of 18 games. Consistency is a bit lacking in that one. He's an NHL player IMO, but not a center, and not a top 6 player. He'd be a great left wing on a good team's 3rd line. That is completely not the situation he's in here.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No kidding, that is pretty brutal! Goes a bit beyond "the writing is on the wall".

Anyway, my best wishes to Galchenyuk, but he was as Talon said, ok at best and terrible at worst. And the real problem is that we saw the full range of it within the span of 18 games. Consistency is a bit lacking in that one. He's an NHL player IMO, but not a center, and not a top 6 player. He'd be a great left wing on a good team's 3rd line. That is completely not the situation he's in here.
As much as I don't care for Galchenyuk playing on my favorite hockey team. I do hope that Guerin had already had a discussion with Galchenyuk about his future with the Wild before giving his number to Bjugstad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad