Player Discussion Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
7 points in 11 games after shifting to center.
Not all of the games have been at C, but either way, 7 points in 11 games since trade deadline is good for ~52 points over 82. Small sample size still, though. I’ve been a proponent of, “if he can be a 50 point C, sign him”. I’m not sure that’s clear yet, but it should be more clear by the end of the year.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Not all of the games have been at C, but either way, 7 points in 11 games since trade deadline is good for ~52 points over 82. Small sample size still, though. I’ve been a proponent of, “if he can be a 50 point C, sign him”. I’m not sure that’s clear yet, but it should be more clear by the end of the year.
He has played 14 games for the wild, 3 on the wing, 11 at center.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Well, I like him better than the last #3 overall the Wild traded for, Mr. Cam Barker.

Cam is still after in in Europe, France this time, after the KHL, Swiss league and Finland.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It's been up and down. Overall I am HAPPY with him, but he's pissed me off in the past couple of games, while at the same time scoring a big goal or two.

His shot is lethal and accurate, he plays big, but lacks some IQ about circumstances on the ice.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
It's been up and down. Overall I am HAPPY with him, but he's pissed me off in the past couple of games, while at the same time scoring a big goal or two.

His shot is lethal and accurate, he plays big, but lacks some IQ about circumstances on the ice.

All the warts in his game reflect his value.

It all boils down to:
-how much you believe in coaching and coach-ability
-how much of an optimist are you

He did top 40 points every season 2014-19, 50 twice. Not your average Wild reclamation plug.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he’s an offensive middle 6 center capable of 40-55 points every year, there’s no reason we shouldn’t sign him for a year or two.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I found it interesting that Galchenuk is still #2 behind Filip Forsberg in both goal scoring and overall scoring from the 2012 draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can't lose track of the fact that he has some awful giveaways that tend to lead to goals against. He's similar to what Fiala was, but unlike Fiala is not young, in hockey terms. He should be in his prime right now.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't give him either term or money. Maybe have some bonuses in his contract.

One other thing. I suspect that he will need a tender, encouraging hand from the coaching staff. If we hire a defensive disciplinarian this summer, it won't turn out well.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You can't lose track of the fact that he has some awful giveaways that tend to lead to goals against. He's similar to what Fiala was, but unlike Fiala is not young, in hockey terms. He should be in his prime right now.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't give him either term or money. Maybe have some bonuses in his contract.

One other thing. I suspect that he will need a tender, encouraging hand from the coaching staff. If we hire a defensive disciplinarian this summer, it won't turn out well.

From the reports I've read, he's an extremely hard-working player that is constantly doing whatever he can to try to improve his game. I don't think he's somebody that would get offended by criticism.

His defensive lapses are definitely worrisome, but he's never really played for teams known for being defensive stalwarts either. Given a year or two in our system, I think his game would improve in both ends of the ice.

I've wanted Galchenyuk since his early Habs days though, so I'm a bit biased.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I don’t think anybody is arguing in favor of that.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Galchenyuk says he likes it here, and he's learning from a veteran like Zuccarello. I think they hope Galchenyuk can become a good center, and re-sign him. Then Guerin can focus on a top goalie this summer.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Galchenyuk says he likes it here, and he's learning from a veteran like Zuccarello. I think they hope Galchenyuk can become a good center, and re-sign him. Then Guerin can focus on a top goalie this summer.
Yeah, there were no Zuccarello caliber vets in Pittsburgh... only lowly guys like Crosby and Malkin who simply can't compare.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Only way I resign him would be on a 1 year deal if we can’t trade for a #1 center at the draft. At that point he may be our best option because of the short term and low cost commitment to him.

Heading into next year I’d rather have a true #1 center and Staal. Once Staal comes off the books I’d give a guy like Khovanov the chance to step in.

Galchenyuk doesn’t fit into that plan, mainly because it doesn’t make sense to resign him as a 3C. He’s too reckless. JEE is a far better 3C option even if he doesn’t score as much.

I’d also keep Rask and Sturm for the 4th line and extra forward spot. I don’t think it’s necessary to buy Rask out just yet. It’s not like we need the cap space.

Koivu can walk.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Only way I resign him would be on a 1 year deal if we can’t trade for a #1 center at the draft. At that point he may be our best option because of the short term and low cost commitment to him.

Heading into next year I’d rather have a true #1 center and Staal. Once Staal comes off the books I’d give a guy like Khovanov the chance to step in.

Galchenyuk doesn’t fit into that plan, mainly because it doesn’t make sense to resign him as a 3C. He’s too reckless. JEE is a far better 3C option even if he doesn’t score as much.

I’d also keep Rask and Sturm for the 4th line and extra forward spot. I don’t think it’s necessary to buy Rask out just yet. It’s not like we need the cap space.

Koivu can walk.
agree with your post but also love the name. great choice!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Bill Guerin traded for him, it must be because he has some interest in re-signing him this summer?

Or it was to make the cap work to send Zucker to Pittsburgh for the 1st and Addison.

50/50 chance

Reactions: De Montreal

P10p

May 15, 2012
I'd definetly welcome Gally back on a 1 year contract.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, there were no Zuccarello caliber vets in Pittsburgh... only lowly guys like Crosby and Malkin who simply can't compare.

Depends; neither Malkin or Crosby seem to be the type of player that will take a guy under his wing and teach them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad