Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Only a matter of time. Ryan Miller's a great goalie and we've always had problems with him. Max and Galchenyuk are going to be great for each other. And Max finally has somebody to pass to.

We haven't had a truly dominant center since... probably Beliveau. That's how far back it goes. I don't know if Galchenyuk will ever crack the top 10 in scoring for us but he's got the best chance of any Hab that I can remember for a long time back.

I think he'll easily have at least a handful of PPG seasons over the next 10 years.

But I've always said his usefulness on the ice will be more important to this team than his production. He can be absolutely dominant at all 3 ends of the ice.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I can't wait until Galchenyuk starts finishing, so we can have the argument over whether his finishing is elite or not.

:laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Only a matter of time. Ryan Miller's a great goalie and we've always had problems with him. Max and Galchenyuk are going to be great for each other. And Max finally has somebody to pass to.

We haven't had a truly dominant center since... probably Beliveau. That's how far back it goes. I don't know if Galchenyuk will ever crack the top 10 in scoring for us but he's got the best chance of any Hab that I can remember for a long time back.

I see no reason why Galchenyuk can't become a 70-80pt guy. Plek put up 69-70pts twice. I don't see why Galchenyuk can't be better. If anything, it would be a disappointment if he didn't.
It's only a matter of time, he'll need a bit of time to start converting. As long as we don't screw up. Good or bad stretch, Galchenyuk needs to remain the go-to offensive center.
An aspect to his game that I think is/will surprise most is his physicality. As he gets bigger and stronger over the years, he will impose himself even further.
He's one feisty guy already. I didn't expect him to like mixing it up with the opposition as much as he does, which is a beautiful thing to see.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I see no reason why Galchenyuk can't become a 70-80pt guy. Plek put up 69-70pts twice. I don't see why Galchenyuk can't be better. If anything, it would be a disappointment if he didn't.
It's only a matter of time, he'll need a bit of time to start converting. As long as we don't screw up. Good or bad stretch, Galchenyuk needs to remain the go-to offensive center.
An aspect to his game that I think is/will surprise most is his physicality. As he gets bigger and stronger over the years, he will impose himself even further.
He's one feisty guy already. I didn't expect him to like mixing it up with the opposition as much as he does, which is a beautiful thing to see.

As of now, Chuck seems to be suffering from the same problem Duchene has. Shooting is not converting and it's costing them big points (Duchene could easily be a 90+ if he converted some more chances.) Duchene has a sub-par shot, that we know. I don't think it's a physical/skill problem with Chucky, his shot seems on par with the other elite. That one timer he had yesterday was quick, powerful and on point. Matter of time.

You can't be that dominant and not convert. Imo, he's the most dominant Hab forward since Kovalev. Even Patches can't touch what Chucky can do.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Playing with Galchenyuk allows Pacioretty to showcase his very underrated playmaking and defensive skills. It's really a perfect match. Two big, well-rounded offensive players with elite level skills - when was the last time we had this in MTL?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't think anybody ever concluded that Galch was going to be great at the faceoff circle. It's the other side, the nonsensical one, that kept saying you can't put him there because he will lose all the faceoffs (...and that will turn into a goal against 100% of the time and then...the Apocalypse).

I still favor him at wing once Eller returns, as long as DD stays off the top line, preference of mine, not because of FO%. It's a coin flip he'll win his share and lose his share, if he continues to play like last night I am willing to concede moving him to center now might be better for the team.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's also paired with a legit top LW. They are going to be able to really help each other out a lot.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
As of now, Chuck seems to be suffering from the same problem Duchene has. Shooting is not converting and it's costing them big points (Duchene could easily be a 90+ if he converted some more chances.) Duchene has a sub-par shot, that we know. I don't think it's a physical/skill problem with Chucky, his shot seems on par with the other elite. That one timer he had yesterday was quick, powerful and on point. Matter of time.

You can't be that dominant and not convert. Imo, he's the most dominant Hab forward since Kovalev. Even Patches can't touch what Chucky can do.

He has the hands of Kovalev but he has the heart and the drive as well, the only thing that held back Kovy from being part of the elite.

The amount of skills Galchenyuk has displayed is insane. If he works on the accuracy of his shot a bit, make no mistake, this guy will be among the very elite of this league.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I haven't seen a habs player with a pair of mitts like his is forever, possibly never. Like kriss said, he's already got that edge, a little more strength and experience he's going to be dynamite.

He's got a nasty, heavy wrist shot too, he hasn't really shown it much, with time it will come. Sometimes he does the extra dangle when he should just let er rip. Future Captain?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I still favor him at wing once Eller returns, as long as DD stays off the top line, preference of mine, not because of FO%. It's a coin flip he'll win his share and lose his share, if he continues to play like last night I am willing to concede moving him to center now might be better for the team.

I wouldn't move him back to the wing. It's obvious that he's more suited at center and he's going to be the guy to carry our offense in future years. Put him there now and groom him.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Not to be a party pooper, but I expect this is just a time-out for DD and we'll be back to the old ineffective lines as soon as Galchenyuk has a bad game. :help:

I hope you're wrong. Something definitely seemed to have sparked Galchenyuk this game though, I wouldn't expect him to play like this every time.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

I agree but he needs to start converting those chances if he ever wants to be as effective as Patches. I am not worried though, the talent is definitely there.:)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Jist woke up here in Canberra and read a couple pages of this thread.

It's pure euphoria in here :)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He's not going to finish the year at 62% that's for sure. Just like the top line won't have the crazy possession numbers they did.

But it really was an exclamation point on the argument that this line should've been put together long ago. When was the last time we saw a center take control of the game like that? I don't remember Saku doing it, Damphousse or Turgeon doing it... I don't even remember Bobby Smith being able to play like that. It was awesome.

Like I said, it won't be that way every game. But it was nice just to see that we have somebody with the capability of at least doing it once in a while.

To be fair, Damphousse and Turgeon did it. Just not enough for anybody to remember.

So did Koivu, pre knee injury.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
hes been displaying alot of skill this season but he really needs to work on his shot accuracy, pls put da puck in da net chucky

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Its seems like some of you guys are never gonna be happy with this team. Gio, Bourque,Moen,Briere,Georges etc etc, their all gone, Chucky is the 1st line center with the 1st PP and people are still not trusting the organisation. For the 1st time in 25 years im confortable with the management of this team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Looks like we drafted the right guy

Well, to be honest that kid in Nashville is doing mighty fine ...

I haven't seen a habs player with a pair of mitts like his is forever, possibly never. Like kriss said, he's already got that edge, a little more strength and experience he's going to be dynamite.

He's got a nasty, heavy wrist shot too, he hasn't really shown it much, with time it will come. Sometimes he does the extra dangle when he should just let er rip. Future Captain?

It's pretty wrong to say that when we've had probably the best mitts in the history of hockey for 5 years a little less than a decade ago... Chucky has tremendous hands but I don't think he's at that level yet.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
To be fair, Damphousse and Turgeon did it. Just not enough for anybody to remember.

So did Koivu, pre knee injury.
I don't remember any of those guys taking over a game the way Galchenyuk did for us last night.

Turgeon may have done it in his pre-Hab days but I don't ever remember him dominating like that for us.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Well, to be honest that kid in Nashville is doing mighty fine ...

It's pretty wrong to say that when we've had probably the best mitts in the history of hockey for 5 years a little less than a decade ago... Chucky has tremendous hands but I don't think he's at that level yet.

I dunno dude. Mario Lemieux was never a hab.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jist woke up here in Canberra and read a couple pages of this thread.

It's pure euphoria in here :)

Aren't you on the verge of Spring in Canberra?

Just for that, you shouldn't be allowed to post here. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad