Alex Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Hard to see him not getting points after all the buzz his line generated last night. In time that will come as well so long as they keep generating chances.

I agree. He missed some great chances to score, but let's not forget that Miller was on top of his game last night.

Points will come, it was his first full game at centering the 1st line.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Why do some people not understand that Galchenyuk's faceoff numbers were so low because of small sample size? His numbers should keep going up as long as he plays center for an extended amount of time.

Well, he's only taken 30 faceoffs this year, so, we don't really no what statistical behavior to expect, really.

Last edited:

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
This "the points will come" phase is making me anxious.

Chuck still seems pretty antsy out there. You can tell he's still overthinking it a little bit sometimes.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Still don't understand how he missed that wide open net lol

But all in all, in his first legit chance as a center since his rookie year...he looked great.

He possessed the puck a lot more than he normally does, which is why having him at center is so much better than him on the wing.

I really hope the coaching staff stays patient with this, I know it was just one game but all of the lines finally looked like they were what they're supposed to be

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Galchenyuk's line sparked lots of chances yesterday. I think it would be wise for Therrien to stick with Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher.

No not really.....He should stick with Galchenyuk centring his first offensive line.
The kid prove time and time again that it doesn't matter who he played with, he's driving the bus. Don't need to go that way with him unlike what we saw in the last few years.

Why do some people not understand that Galchenyuk's faceoff numbers were so low because of small sample size? His numbers should keep going up as long as he plays center for an extended amount of time.

I take a great look at him on the faceoffs.....clear as day that Malhotra and him have worked together lately.

Hard to see him not getting points after all the buzz his line generated last night. In time that will come as well so long as they keep generating chances.

That's what i like about him last night. Without a points, it was obvious that he was the best player on the ice.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Chuck still seems pretty antsy out there. You can tell he's still overthinking it a little bit sometimes.

That's how I see him too, just needs to relax a little and sometimes go for the more simple or greasy play, but it's coming for sure. Any day now.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
35% was too low not to be improved upon by taking more faceoffs.

It was very low. But 62% is also very high. Who knows, Galchenyuk could end up with a faceoff percentage of 40%. There really isn't close to enough data yet to draw a conclusion as to what kind of faceoff performance we can expect from him.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Let's see, raw numbers last night:

Alex Galchenyuk 35 CF - 2 CA - 94.59%
Brendan Gallagher 35 CF - 2 CA - 94.59%
Max Pacioretty 34 CF - 5 CA - 87.18%

Even strength

Alex Galchenyuk 21 CF - 1 CA - 95.45%
Brendan Gallagher 20 CF - 1 CA - 95.24%
Max Pacioretty 18 CF - 2 CA - 90.00%

One game from our new first line. May DD never set foot on the ice with Max again!

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
It was very low. But 62% is also very high. Who knows, Galchenyuk could end up with a faceoff percentage of 40%. There really isn't close to enough data yet to draw a conclusion as to what kind of faceoff performance we can expect from him.

Which is why I never drew a conclusion on what we should expect, his numbers were so poor in the small sample size that he would improve on those numbers with more faceoffs taken. It made no sense to bring up his bad faceoff percentage before yesterday's game just as it would make no sense to bring up his great faceoff percentage yesterday.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't think anybody ever concluded that Galch was going to be great at the faceoff circle. It's the other side, the nonsensical one, that kept saying you can't put him there because he will lose all the faceoffs (...and that will turn into a goal against 100% of the time and then...the Apocalypse).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Let's see, raw numbers last night:

Alex Galchenyuk 35 CF - 2 CA - 94.59%
Brendan Gallagher 35 CF - 2 CA - 94.59%
Max Pacioretty 34 CF - 5 CA - 87.18%

Even strength

Alex Galchenyuk 21 CF - 1 CA - 95.45%
Brendan Gallagher 20 CF - 1 CA - 95.24%
Max Pacioretty 18 CF - 2 CA - 90.00%

One game from our new first line. May DD never set foot on the ice with Max again!
How did it take so long for us to even try these guys together? Those numbers are crazy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's not going to finish the year at 62% that's for sure. Just like the top line won't have the crazy possession numbers they did.

But it really was an exclamation point on the argument that this line should've been put together long ago. When was the last time we saw a center take control of the game like that? I don't remember Saku doing it, Damphousse or Turgeon doing it... I don't even remember Bobby Smith being able to play like that. It was awesome.

Like I said, it won't be that way every game. But it was nice just to see that we have somebody with the capability of at least doing it once in a while.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's not going to finish the year at 62% that's for sure. Just like the top line won't have the crazy possession numbers they did.

But it really was an exclamation point on the argument that this line should've been put together long ago. When was the last time we saw a center take control of the game like that? I don't remember Saku doing it, Damphousse or Turgeon doing it... I don't even remember Bobby Smith being able to play like that. It was awesome.

Like I said, it won't be that way every game. But it was nice just to see that we have somebody with the capability of at least doing it once in a while.

That's awesome. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday (as it was at 2:30am my time) but I was hoping that Chuck would have a great performance and finally take his place as the center we've needed since, well, a long ass time. It sounds like he was able to do that last night.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's awesome. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday (as it was at 2:30am my time) but I was hoping that Chuck would have a great performance and finally take his place as the center we've needed since, well, a long ass time. It sounds like he was able to do that last night.
He took over the game. No points but he took over the game.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He took over the game. No points but he took over the game.

A lot of people are talking about what's going to be more challenging for Galchenyuk in moving to center: the added defensive responsibility, the faceoffs, etc. But, not many people are talking about what the move to center could give him, as well. He has much more room to skate as a centerman, and will have the puck much more often. I figure that if you let a guy who can do this:

http://www.tvasports.ca/2014/12/09/une-double-dose-dexpresso

room to skate, and the puck, he might just take over a few a games.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
My brain can't process how fast his hands are. Great game last night.

Hope he remains confident even if the points aren't there yet. They will come if he keeps playing this way.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

I don't remember watching a Habs Center being "visually" dominant like him in my lifetime. Not Bobby Smith, not Damphousse, not Turgeon, not Koivu. Didn't watch Lemaire live at his peak (or don't remember because I was too young). Now the question is how much of that visual dominance can be actually converted in goals and assits going forward.

Last edited:

Basszor

Sep 29, 2008
Montreal
A lot of people are talking about what's going to be more challenging for Galchenyuk in moving to center: the added defensive responsibility, the faceoffs, etc. But, not many people are talking about what the move to center could give him, as well. He has much more room to skate as a centerman, and will have the puck much more often. I figure that if you let a guy who can do this:

http://www.tvasports.ca/2014/12/09/une-double-dose-dexpresso

room to skate, and the puck, he might just take over a few a games.

I was eager to see him play at centre but i was working last night. When i saw that highlight on the habs channel I was amazed. :amazed: Thanks for the replay I was looking around to see if anyone had it:yo:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't remember watching a Habs Center being "visually" dominant like him in my lifetime. Not Bobby Smith, not Damphousse, not Turgeon, not Koivu. Didn't watch Lemaire live at his peak (or don't remember because I was too young). Now the question is how much of that visual dominance can be actually converted in goals and assits going forward.
Only a matter of time. Ryan Miller's a great goalie and we've always had problems with him. Max and Galchenyuk are going to be great for each other. And Max finally has somebody to pass to.

We haven't had a truly dominant center since... probably Beliveau. That's how far back it goes. I don't know if Galchenyuk will ever crack the top 10 in scoring for us but he's got the best chance of any Hab that I can remember for a long time back.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
This "the points will come" phase is making me anxious.

Yeah sometimes he's pressing the issue, trying to make plays that aren't there. Others he's holding on to the puck a little too long, but that better decision making comes with experience. My concern with him at center was his battling along the boards and coming back deep to help the D. He did really well last night imo there. He also broke up 2-3 plays at center ice by getting into lanes. He looked better than I thought he would without the puck. With the puck he looked good, just hasn't shown elite finish yet. He should have had at least 1 goal if not 2, and his line should have had 2 more goals. They did everything but score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad