Rumor: Alain Vigneault will not be coaching the NYR next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Vigneault’s wants to remain with Rangers as season ends

“At the end of the day, for coaches, you have to coach the team you have in front of you,” Vigneault said. “You try and put a system in place that maximizes their talent level and you try to mask or hide the weaknesses and you work on both areas so that your team can improve.”

tenor.gif

I thought McLeod-Namestnikov-Buchnevich was peak AV. I was wrong. That comment is peak AV. AV just drew all five pieces of AV in his hand and summoned that shit. He just hit final form. His AV level is one million. All the bad coaches in NHL history sent him his energy and he just dropped the AV'est AV bomb that ever AV'ed.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
tenor.gif

I thought McLeod-Namestnikov-Buchnevich was peak AV. I was wrong. That comment is peak AV. AV just drew all five pieces of AV in his hand and summoned that ****. He just hit final form. His AV level is one million. All the bad coaches in NHL history sent him his energy and he just dropped the AV'est AV bomb that ever AV'ed.

Yeah that post game interview was the 6th stupidity stone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean there's sarcasm in that as no coach drastically changes their system after a trade deadline. However, he should've seen this coming a long time ago. I'd argue he's about 1.5-2 years late on adjusting his style, which ironically Torts was too.

Torts had his peak as Ranger coach a season before being fired. His system wasn't great either, but I'd say that he had as much to do with the Rangers' success after he got fired as AV did. The 2013-14 team was playing an AV style with a Tortorella mentality. It's not a coincidence that faded away as Alain got a chance to put his prints on the team.

Torts was far from a perfect coach and I think they let him go at the right time but the biggest plus I can say about him was you would seldom see the team get flat out owned under his watch. They may have lost, but if they did you can bet your ass the other team would have had to earn that W.

Can't say the same for the Rangers under Alain, considering that he's given wins away, even in the playoffs.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Any idea about the three players AV was talking about?

One was Hodgson, but whose the minor leaguer and the guy that turned it around?

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
Torts had his peak as Ranger coach a season before being fired. His system wasn't great either, but I'd say that he had as much to do with the Rangers' success after he got fired as AV did. The 2013-14 team was playing an AV style with a Tortorella mentality. It's not a coincidence that faded away as Alain got a chance to put his prints on the team.

Torts was far from a perfect coach and I think they let him go at the right time but the biggest plus I can say about him was you would seldom see the team get flat out owned under his watch. They may have lost, but if they did you can bet your ass the other team would have had to earn that W.

Can't say the same for the Rangers under Alain, considering that he's given wins away, even in the playoffs.

Rangers played hard under torts. Rangers have always been lazy under AV. AV is soft and everyone was willing to overlook that when we were winning.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

There's a reason why some of the higher ups with Rangers loved Torts... but also hated working with him. The Rangers need a taskmaster that can enforce a tight defensive structure. I don't think an open system will work with the group they have.

On AV: If you're bosses are asking you "what you learned this year?" It means you probably failed.

In Alains case, it's a failure to adapt. Three declining years is too slow of a learning curve for someone whose purportedly intelligent.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I mean there's sarcasm in that as no coach drastically changes their system after a trade deadline. However, he should've seen this coming a long time ago. I'd argue he's about 1.5-2 years late on adjusting his style, which ironically Torts was too.
He never adjusts. A lot of old coaches don't. They 'been there' and 'done that'

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers played hard under torts. Rangers have always been lazy under AV. AV is soft and everyone was willing to overlook that when we were winning.

I don't know about Lazy because I don't think it was for a lack of effort.

I just think that there was no accountability and his system+hands off approach was just the perfect brew for a room to get slathered with complacency.

Reactions: Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I don't know about Lazy because I don't think it was for a lack of effort.

I just think that there was no accountability and his system+hands off approach was just the perfect brew for a room to get slathered with complacency.

Bingo. And I do see a lack of effort. But it all stems from a lack of accountability.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006

I agree with you on that, I just didn't go in depth on it. He taught those guys an honesty to defense that we lost over the years. I really think we need a blend of the 2's systems in all honesty. We're bouncing from one spectrum to the other.

If I could say this, without going too far off topic, I think a lot of people forget how many 1st period timeouts Torts would take. His teams came out flat, maybe not as much, just like AV's did. Which I think looking back on 9 years of it, is probably more of a core issue. I think a lot of people see Torts' fiery personality and the grittiness those teams had but forget about all the no shows they had. And then you have AV who was the complete opposite. No timeouts, no sound defensive structure but still had no shows.

I dunno where I was going with all that after the rebuttal but I've never seen a hockey coach lose a series before AV against Ottawa last year. He needed to make changes this year and didn't. To not see that as coach is fireable to me.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It isn't harsh enough for him in here.

One of the worst coaches we've ever had. Before the "DURRRR TROTTIER/MUCKLER/LOW" comments come in from the predicables, ask yourselves how many coaches would have ran out a perfectly competent player like Stempniak in favor of Tanner ****ing Glass.

This guy continually got a pass because "muh Dark Ages."

I think everyone forgets the goaltending those teams had. By 2000, Richter was cooked with head injuries and we didn't find anything close to an adequate replacement until Lundqvist. We were routinely sub-.900 as a team.

The 2017-18 Rangers were right up there with peak Dark Ages. Right up there. I might argue even worse. Take the 17-18 Rangers with Dark Ages goaltending, and it's cruise control to 1OA. Only the Sabres would have a chance.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
He never adjusts. A lot of old coaches don't. They 'been there' and 'done that'

Which is amazing because the game constantly changes. Watch other teams see what they do, either repeat,find a way to stop it, or create something new with your guys. Its all easier said than done but a coach's job is to make the best product of what he has, and like you said most don't. It's easier to try and do what worked in the past.

Reactions: GregSirico
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad