Rumor: Alain Vigneault will not be coaching the NYR next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I agree with you on that, I just didn't go in depth on it. He taught those guys an honesty to defense that we lost over the years. I really think we need a blend of the 2's systems in all honesty. We're bouncing from one spectrum to the other.

If I could say this, without going too far off topic, I think a lot of people forget how many 1st period timeouts Torts would take. His teams came out flat, maybe not as much, just like AV's did. Which I think looking back on 9 years of it, is probably more of a core issue. I think a lot of people see Torts' fiery personality and the grittiness those teams had but forget about all the no shows they had. And then you have AV who was the complete opposite. No timeouts, no sound defensive structure but still had no shows.

I dunno where I was going with all that after the rebuttal but I've never seen a hockey coach lose a series before AV against Ottawa last year. He needed to make changes this year and didn't. To not see that as coach is fireable to me.

Regarding that spectrum.... when AV was first hired.... and we're going back 5 years now.... there was someone close to the Rangers that said they went the complete opposite of Torts with AV... and that the ideal coach would be somewhere in the middle. He went on to describe Babcock as being that type of coach.

Right now the roster is weak... and AV lacking any self accountability threw Gorts under the bus in that interview. I don't blame the guy for being mad at having a weaker team... but he had his window... and he blew it.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Regarding that spectrum.... when AV was first hired.... and we're going back 5 years now.... there was someone close to the Rangers that said they went the complete opposite of Torts with AV... and that the ideal coach would be somewhere in the middle. He went on to describe Babcock as being that type of coach.

Right now the roster is weak... and AV lacking any self accountability threw Gorts under the bus in that interview. I don't blame the guy for being mad at having a weaker team... but he had his window... and he blew it.
When Torts was let go, I said AV would be a bad choice down the road (fine for immediately because Torts is a nut job) but that down the road that could be bad. Babcock would have been a fantastic move.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
12 months too late

It's crazy to think about in light of what happened this year, but last year was a massive missed opportunity. Losing to Ottawa was completely unacceptable, and entirely on AV.

He did some very good things here, and was what this team needed post Torts, but he's done now. Please move on.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He obviously had that entire schpiel memorized. Had to dig up some reasons to keep his job. Heh. Garbage coach is garbage.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Is the vile really necessary?

We had some good runs with him but hes ran his course here. Just like the two previous coaches, brass will cut bait at the right time.

Its almost as if the FO knows what theyre doing.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
When we let Torts go, I was happy as it was (clearly) the right move, but appreciated what he did with us and the culture he instilled. Still root for him to this day.

AV? I’ll be partying when his firing is made official, and rooting against whatever team he ends up coaching. Just do not like the guy, his attitude, or his coaching style.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When we let Torts go, I was happy as it was (clearly) the right move, but appreciated what he did with us and the culture he instilled. Still root for him to this day.

AV? I’ll be partying when his firing is made official, and rooting against whatever team he ends up coaching. Just do not like the guy, his attitude, or his coaching style.

This.

Torts is at least a nice guy away from hockey.

AV is a snake who didn't have the balls to treat players like shit to their face, so he does it with phony injuries and backhanded comments.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I know how I'm going to be campaigning for the Boardies this year.

"Yes, yes... I think I'm one of the best assets to HFNYR... good with older and younger posters and my posts are one of the board's strengths. I'm confident I'll win Most Valuable Poster this year"

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Torts took a boulder of a roster and squeezed all the blood he could out of it until it became a race horse, then he kept trying to squeeze it and the horse kicked him. AV took that race horse and turned it into one of those metal horses on a spring that are in playgrounds

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Amazing that in the 91 year history of the New York Rangers Alain Vigneault is only the third person to take the franchise to the SCF.

EDIT- I'm an idiot. I should've said in my time watching the Rangers.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know how I'm going to be campaigning for the Boardies this year.

"Yes, yes... I think I'm one of the best assets to HFNYR... good with older and younger posters and my posts are one of the board's strengths. I'm confident I'll win Most Valuable Poster this year"

We gotta do the boardies again!

That always cheers everyone up.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don’t see the point of a post like this. I think most people realize that, no, firing AV isn’t going to magically turn this team into world beaters, they just think it’s time for a change; and they’d be right. I don’t see a justifiable argument for keeping AV.

I find the blood lust on this board a bit off-putting. Get rid of Renney and problem solved. Get rid of Torts and problem solved.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Lol at AV trying to pump himself up by touting his success with Cody freaking Hodgson (who by all accounts AV gave him the Buch treatment so he wanted out).

Nobody here under AV took the next step in their careers. Boyle and Stralman were on their last legs in this league when they came to NY and under Torts they became high impact players.

Lol remember Boyle when he first came over from LA. He was such an uncoordinated goof who could barely stand on his own two feet.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I find the blood lust on this board a bit off-putting. Get rid of Renney and problem solved. Get rid of Torts and problem solved.
I don’t think most people see firing AV as a silver bullet. Some, maybe, but I just think that AV and his personality really rubbed off on people the wrong way, which leads to the vitriol (which I am, admittedly, taking part in). I can say I was tired of him pretty quickly.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Both of those moves ended up leading to better results.

Had AV treated every season here like he did his 1st, I don't think the hate would be nearly as pronounced as it has been. I bet you'd even have most of the people here on his side.

Reactions: Bozle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->