Rumor: Alain Vigneault will not be coaching the NYR next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don’t think most people see firing AV as a silver bullet. Some, maybe, but I just think that AV and his personality really rubbed off on people the wrong way, which leads to the vitriol (which I am, admittedly, taking part in). I can say I was tired of him pretty quickly.

Exactly...there's a lot that needs to happen, this will not be easy and it will not happen over night. There's no magic formula. They need to get the draft right, they need to make the right hire as coach, they need to identify who will be more valuable staying and more valuable getting dealt. They need to properly develop the talent and they need a little bit of luck. And, there is still no guarantee. Getting rid of AV is the 2nd step, after the deadline. He was a part of the problem.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I find the blood lust on this board a bit off-putting. Get rid of Renney and problem solved. Get rid of Torts and problem solved.
I don’t think most people see firing AV as a silver bullet. Some, maybe, but I just think that AV and his personality really rubbed off on people the wrong way, which leads to the vitriol (which I am, admittedly, taking part in). I can say I was tired of him pretty quickly.

Firing AV isn't a silver bullet to make this team a contender.

But it's a silver bullet to make this team belong in the NHL again. Jesus, they're embarrassing...

And way, way, way, way worse rosters have been less embarrassing, like Arizona this year, or even f***ing Montreal.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Lol at AV trying to pump himself up by touting his success with Cody freaking Hodgson (who by all accounts AV gave him the Buch treatment so he wanted out).

Nobody here under AV took the next step in their careers. Boyle and Stralman were on their last legs in this league when they came to NY and under Torts they became high impact players.

Lol remember Boyle when he first came over from LA. He was such an uncoordinated goof who could barely stand on his own two feet.
This is actually quite accurate. Like I said, AV is not an "awful" coach, he's just not a good one. Torts at least got more out of his players, albeit he did a lot of physical damage to them too.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
This is actually quite accurate. Like I said, AV is not an "awful" coach, he's just not a good one. Torts at least got more out of his players, albeit he did a lot of physical damage to them too.
I think Torts’ strength is that he realizing players all over the league take days off to stay fresh later in the year, he gets them in ultra shape during the offseason so they can play all 82 games at 100%. If you do that, even if your roster isn’t very good, you’re going to win a fair share of games over the season.
AV on the other hand, seems to do that opposite. He built a system designed to score in bursts of energy and outside of that just get by the rest of the game

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Alas, AV was so good to start. But like many other coaches the shelf life was short. AV’s expiration date was truthfully— at the latest— very early on this season. His flaws just seemed to worsen with time, to a mind numbing point. His usefulness was ultimately extended however because his ineptitude became beneficial for draft positioning after Rangers brass decided it’s rebuilding time. All in all I’ll say goodbye when I see it, which I trust will be very soon.

Reactions: egelband

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I don't see it as a silver bullet. I do think the team will do better under a better coach. AV's flaws are pretty obvious. Rangers hockey's gotten hard to watch - we can't get out of the zone, up the ice, etc. Give up way to many opportunities.

Reactions: Machinehead

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Exactly...there's a lot that needs to happen, this will not be easy and it will not happen over night. There's no magic formula. They need to get the draft right, they need to make the right hire as coach, they need to identify who will be more valuable staying and more valuable getting dealt. They need to properly develop the talent and they need a little bit of luck. And, there is still no guarantee. Getting rid of AV is the 2nd step, after the deadline. He was a part of the problem.
I actually think to save face they should probably part ways after break up day. Just to show the fan base they are serious about rebuilding.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The worst part about AV's tenure is that WE'VE f***ING SEEN HIM BE A GOOD COACH HERE.

Why he decided to go away from that, I'll never know. Some will point to the roster getting worse but that isn't really an excuse, it was good enough to go to the conference finals last year.

It gets even more infuriating when he gives answers to the media like he did today where he outlines exactly what he should have been doing but failed to do. Its like for two seconds you start to think "okay so he isn't that stupid" but then you realize that he hasn't followed through with what he just said.

AV is like the guy who knows all of the answers to a test but decides to answer every multiple choice question "C" because it worked for him that one time.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
hallelujah.jpg

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe they keep him around in another role. Not sure what else he can do but maybe he can evolve his career. It seems his system isnt what’s en vogue now.
Anyhow, seems AVs main problems were the laissez-faire locker room and weird defensive system.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The worst part about AV's tenure is that WE'VE ****ING SEEN HIM BE A GOOD COACH HERE.

Why he decided to go away from that, I'll never know. Some will point to the roster getting worse but that isn't really an excuse, it was good enough to go to the conference finals last year.

It gets even more infuriating when he gives answers to the media like he did today where he outlines exactly what he should have been doing but failed to do. Its like for two seconds you start to think "okay so he isn't that stupid" but then you realize that he hasn't followed through with what he just said.

AV is like the guy who knows all of the answers to a test but decides to answer every multiple choice question "C" because it worked for him that one time.

Exactly.

Coaches who are just morons are a lot more tolerable. AV isn't a moron, he just chooses to be for reasons I'll never fully understand.

Sort of like people who use advanced stats and show full understanding of them, but still like Girardi because jamjars. Not mentioning any names.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The last time I heard about Sheldon Keefe he was part of that David Frost crew; he was known mostly for acting like an arrogant lunatic and then quit hockey for basically no reason.

It’s weird to see him at the top of the list of promising coaches. Good for him turning his stuff around.

Reactions: egelband

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
I wonder if AV got a pass after the Ottawa series last season because Ottawa came so close to beating the Pens?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers played hard under torts. Rangers have always been lazy under AV. AV is soft and everyone was willing to overlook that when we were winning.
I sort of agree with this. I’m of the opinion that a number of Rangers shut-out Torts by the end. And same with AV. Maybe some of the same guys, too.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I wonder if AV got a pass after the Ottawa series last season because Ottawa came so close to beating the Pens?
That would be awful mismanagement. You don't judge a coach based on what other teams do, you judge a coach based on his ability to get the most out of his players.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
AV signed his termination papers the second he called out Lundqvist after Hank gave him a second chance at this season.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
The last time I heard about Sheldon Keefe he was part of that David Frost crew; he was known mostly for acting like an arrogant lunatic and then quit hockey for basically no reason.

It’s weird to see him at the top of the list of promising coaches. Good for him turning his stuff around.
That whole situation from what I recall was so crazy, it was also so long ago. And he didn't do anything illegal, he was just mixed up with a bad dude. But yeah, either way good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->