Rumor: Alain Vigneault will not be coaching the NYR next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
  • On the game and what is next, "We would have obviously preferred to finish on a better note. We didn't. What is to come. They asked me yesterday, someone asked me if I had learned anything from this year and I told them to ask it for me today and I would have a better answer for you. At the end of the day, for coaches, you have to coach the team that you have in front of you. You try and put a system in place that maximizes their talent level and mask or hide the weaknesses and work on both areas so your team can improve. For me, my third year in Montreal, we had the record, at that time, as far as mans game missed in the NHL and we had half NHL players, half young players and half part American league players and we were able to take it to the last game of the year. We weren't able to get in but it wasn't for lack of trying, that year we were up for coach of the year. We talked about the Sedins a couple of days ago and that got me thinking and, we talked about this the other day, you gotta coach the team in front of you. When I went to Vancouver the team hadn't made the playoffs the year before, we had some veterans whose careers were maybe more on the downside but we had a lot of young players coming in, the twins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hansen, Edler and to that group, through the years, we added Raymond, Tanev, Schneider, Hodgson, etc. In our seven years we had six division titles, a Stanley Cup Final seventh game. We got close and it wasn't from a lack of trying that we didn't get it, we were pretty banged up. In our time, since having left Vancouver, they are on their fourth coaching staff right now. Coaching might not have been one of the main areas and I remember in my time there, on player development, we were criticized for three players the most. One retired at 26, one went through a couple of NHL teams, basically a career minor league player and the other one, god bless his soul, was able to find a way and take care of his personal situation and is now still playing in the NHL. Player development wise, we are not perfect but we have done a pretty good job. That brings me to NY and when we got here, you coach what you have. What we had here was a veteran group, Rick Nash, Brad Richards, Ryan Callahan became Marty St. Louis, Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, we had some good veteran players and we put a system in place and culture that maximized them. To them, through the first and second-year, Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan were added, good young players, we had a fair amount of success. We weren't able to get it done but we had a fair amount of success. At the end of the day a coach coaches what is in front of you and that is what we have tried to do and that is what we will continue to try to do."

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
That really makes it sound like he's lobbying for his next job.

to the media and the fans? Like, I can understand if you're trying to start a rally and incite violence but what good will this do? If he's lobbying the fans for his job instead of his bosses, it makes management look bad.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I don’t see the point of a post like this. I think most people realize that, no, firing AV isn’t going to magically turn this team into world beaters, they just think it’s time for a change; and they’d be right. I don’t see a justifiable argument for keeping AV.

“Why make a positive change if it won’t fix everything?” is one of the more nonsensical and irritating concepts that I can remember becoming popular.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
To say is hyperbole about Lundqvist would be an understatement.

He wasnt nearly as good as he was versus Montreal but one of the worst series by any goalie ever in the playoffs? No chance.

Ehhhhh.. Lundqvist gave up a crap goal to lose Game 1 and then blew away multiple goal leads and gave up six total in Game 2. Then the team came back home and got themselves back in the series with two flawless wins. The first two playoff wins of the Lundqvist era where he didn't save our bacon and was the #1, #2 and 3 stars. Probably other than the Game 7 romp in Washington and the Nylander hatty against Atlanta.

And then Game 5 comes along. The floor is yours. Time to do what franchise players are supposed to do and come through in the big moments.

Nope. More blown 3rd period leads and gives up FIVE goals. C'mon man.

Series over at that point.

And for the record I was banging my head against the wall after Game 2 in Montreal about AV's usage of Holden and Staal over Skjei and Smith

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
to the media and the fans? Like, I can understand if you're trying to start a rally and incite violence but what good will this do? If he's lobbying the fans for his job instead of his bosses, it makes management look bad.

Nah for his next bosses. Its also possible that hes waited till now to lash out and make his case against all of the shit that has been slung his way in the media/by the fans.

What he doesn't realize is that he basically just laid out how and why he's gotten canned at his last 2, soon to be 3 spots.

The best thing for him to do would be to take a year off from coaching and re-assess the way that he has gone about coaching. My guess is that he'll get scooped up pretty quickly once we let him go and we'll see things go for him the same way they have both in NY and Vancouver.... If he's lucky enough to have one of the 2 best goalies of the next generation.

If not, he's going to be out of a job quickly and will have to hang on as an assistant from then on out (which is what I expect to happen.)

Reactions: egelband and Lerb

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He can be

-the right hire when he was hired
-the guy who isn’t right now
-a good coach
-a coach who blew the Ottawa series

He can be all those things.

It can be his time without him being the worst coach to ever live.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Vigneault is an atrocious coach. Absolutely atrocious. If I was on my pc is really dig deep but I'm not. We'll be a ton better just not having him...of course all relative to the roster...if we ice a 70 point roster a.v probably downgrades it to a 60 point team.

It's not that you need to be a genius coach...you need to just not be an idiot.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He can be

-the right hire when he was hired
-the guy who isn’t right now
-a good coach
-a coach who blew the Ottawa series

He can be all those things.

It can be his time without him being the worst coach to ever live.

I think the truth is this -

He was once an innovative coach who employed a system that got the most out of a pretty elite group of players. Eventually, his system got figured out and he never adjusted.

He also did a fantastic job during his inaugural season in New York. After that? Not so much. Some will point to the Presidents trophy winning team and say "HUR DUR WHAT ABOUT THAT YEAR?!?!?" but I'll maintain that the team found a way to win despite AV. That was a special group, sucks that they couldn't get it done together.

He's also had the benefit of having the 2 very best goalies of this generation in net for his teams.

I hope the next guy isn't an NHL guy unless we see someone like Bill Peters shake loose from Carolina. Even then, I'd rather go after someone like Jim Montgomery, Sheldon Keefe or Kris Knoblauch (if the Flyers would ever let us speak to him.)

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vigneault’s wants to remain with Rangers as season ends

“At the end of the day, for coaches, you have to coach the team you have in front of you,” Vigneault said. “You try and put a system in place that maximizes their talent level and you try to mask or hide the weaknesses and you work on both areas so that your team can improve.”

Then why the f*** didn't you do that you French Flintstone looking mother f***er?

Reactions: mrmel329

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad