Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Definitely more well-rounded, durable, and consistent. No question about it. Primeau's 5OT goal and 2004 playoff run did a lot to make that trade feel more tolerable in retrospect.
Yep. I hated the trade as a kid, but learned to love Primeau, even if I hated how he came to be a Flyer.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Dunno if anyone caught this interview last week:

Should hopefully assuage anyone biting their fingernails over "the young guys" and "the assistant coaches." Alludes frequently to young guys making an impact, talks about the "new staff" he's putting together (though says he'll "decide soon" about existing personnel), and mentions that despite the fact he's working with "Dave and Ron" on the WC team he won't be asking them about anything Flyers-related because he wants to have a "clean slate."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Should hopefully assuage anyone biting their fingernails over "the young guys" and "the assistant coaches." Alludes frequently to young guys making an impact, talks about the "new staff" he's putting together (though says he'll "decide soon" about existing personnel), and mentions that despite the fact he's working with "Dave and Ron" on the WC team he won't be asking them about anything Flyers-related because he wants to have a "clean slate."

Dave and Ron are the last people I want him asking for Flyers stuff.

occultist goat

Mar 16, 2019

GOOD. AS IT SHOULD BE.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Thanks for the link.

Looks like Uncle Gary went cheap on the voice recognition software.

For our hearing impaired fans, here's a quick translation:

Elaine? You probably figured it out, that's Alain Vingneault.

The next governor of my state? Ron Hextall, of course.

Felony killing? That thing that Lappy is an expert at.

The young goaltender, Kurt? Probably Carter Hart, but could be Kurt Russell.

Roberto Longo and Henrik on quest? A couple old goalies.

Young defensemen, Shane Goss despair, Ivan over and Travis Sandhya? Looks to be Ghost, Provy and a help desk guy from Bangalore.

Dave Axel? Forget about it, you don't want to know. :sarcasm:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Thanks for the link.

Looks like Uncle Gary went cheap on the voice recognition software.

For our hearing impaired fans, here's a quick translation:

Elaine? You probably figured it out, that's Alain Vingneault.

The next governor of my state? Ron Hextall, of course.

Felony killing? That thing that Lappy is an expert at.

The young goaltender, Kurt? Probably Carter Hart, but could be Kurt Russell.

Roberto Longo and Henrik on quest? A couple old goalies.

Young defensemen, Shane Goss despair, Ivan over and Travis Sandhya? Looks to be Ghost, Provy and a help desk guy from Bangalore.

Dave Axel? Forget about it, you don't want to know. :sarcasm:

Haha I'd noticed that too last night. I sniped the part about his parents early on in the thing for a little tweet.

And you don't even know about Kurt, he's gonna be special.

Reactions: Foggy14

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Primeau was more valuable than Brindy IMO. Not a knock on Brindy.
Disagree, because I think brindy would’ve filled the exact same spot at a high level. Think the talent level was just a bit higher for brindy than preems.

One thing I won’t discount though is how intelligent primeau was. To consistently modify his roles through his career to be successful says something about a player. I remember some random clips of him in practice coming out of the 04-05 breakout. He was in Hitchcock’s ear the whole time—that’s gonna be a penalty, they’re gonna call that all day, we have to move it quicker. Guy thought the game very well.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Disagree, because I think brindy would’ve filled the exact same spot at a high level. Think the talent level was just a bit higher for brindy than preems.

One thing I won’t discount though is how intelligent primeau was. To consistently modify his roles through his career to be successful says something about a player. I remember some random clips of him in practice coming out of the 04-05 breakout. He was in Hitchcock’s ear the whole time—that’s gonna be a penalty, they’re gonna call that all day, we have to move it quicker. Guy thought the game very well.

Don't know what you're disagreeing with but some good points.

If Chris Gratton had been Keith Primeau we might have won a Cup in the Lindros era.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The highlights of Primeau and Gagne's goals still give me chills. And damnit I miss Gary Thorne announcing hockey

I was a the game with my brother. I remember thinking it was over during the second intermission. That OT was absolutely amazing. They brought everything.

I am really not sure how they came out so flat in game 7, injuries aside.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Don't know what you're disagreeing with but some good points.

If Chris Gratton had been Keith Primeau we might have won a Cup in the Lindros era.
Merely disagreeing that I thought brindy>primeau instead of vice versa. Again, both important players.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

I don’t think Brindy was capable of the level of Primeau’s dominant ‘04 playoff. It’s a shame injuries ended Primeau’s career early.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When will we hear about the assistant coaches? I want A.V. to choose his hand picked assistants, instead of continuing with the crew of misfits who occupy those positions now.

I'll be really dissapointed if all 3 are still here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Dave Tippett, who I was told wouldn't want to come coach in Philly because he was happy in Seattle, has interviewed for the Buffalo job.

Coaching Discussion III: Coach Hard With A Vengeance

Any coach worth his salt has zero interest in coaching here. Q turned us down for Florida, T Mac seemed to much rather go to Buffalo. Tippet wants to stay in Seattle. AV would rather have more time off Im sure.

The only coaches available to us are Mike Yeo, someone looking for their first crack at the NHL, or Scott Gordon.

For one reason or another, Philadelphia is a city where coaches just dont want to come to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad