Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Seattle knows they are going to be leaner than Vegas. Just a matter of how much. If they had a mid level amount of talent they could have success with a guy like tippet. Lots of pressure on them from Vegas.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
tenor.png

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Dave Tippett, who I was told wouldn't want to come coach in Philly because he was happy in Seattle, has interviewed for the Buffalo job.
Hard to say what is really going on, but Tippett may just be holding a fire to Seattle. Apparently they are interested in getting McCrimmon from Vegas, but Edmonton is also trying to get him for their GM job. If Seattle isn't keen on giving Tippett Coach and GM, which they probably shouldn't because that's two hard jobs for an expansion team, he needs to protect himself against them bringing in a GM who has another coach in mind.

Is it just a little leverage for Tippett, interviewing elsewhere, or is he really getting antsy about a future in Seattle?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hard to say what is really going on, but Tippett may just be holding a fire to Seattle. Apparently they are interested in getting McCrimmon from Vegas, but Edmonton is also trying to get him for their GM job. If Seattle isn't keen on giving Tippett Coach and GM, which they probably shouldn't because that's two hard jobs for an expansion team, he needs to protect himself against them bringing in a GM who has another coach in mind.

Is it just a little leverage for Tippett, interviewing elsewhere, or is he really getting antsy about a future in Seattle?
I get the feeling Tippett wants to be a GM.

Reactions: renberg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Hakstol actually interviewed the three incumbent ACs and decided to keep all of them, which is basically unheard of.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA

McCrimmon got bumped up to GM by Vegas.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Because he was new to the NHL and also indebted to Hextall, Hakstol had his ACs named for him. AV is a different situation. He could have had a different job, was experienced. I doubt if anyone is going to be foisted on to him as an AC. He'll get his picks.
Good thing is, Fletcher/AV can't be any worse than Hextall at picking coaches. Hextall was so bad. He didn't make one good coaching decision.

Reactions: tucson83

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They prob offered him the same money for more time off. Family is going to go for that even if he didn’t love it.
I think he just wanted to stay with the great team he built vs starting over in Seattle or cleaning up the Edm cluster.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Lapi will get a job somewhere in the organization. Wilson probably goes back to playing golf. I'm curious to see what av thinks of knoblach. I feel he may be a candidate as Gordon's replacement. Remember the flyers had a dedicated guy upstairs to watch games and go over film as a 4th assistant? I think Gordon would be great at that

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Lapi will get a job somewhere in the organization. Wilson probably goes back to playing golf. I'm curious to see what av thinks of knoblach. I feel he may be a candidate as Gordon's replacement. Remember the flyers had a dedicated guy upstairs to watch games and go over film as a 4th assistant? I think Gordon would be great at that
Gordon deserves better. If he gets another chance, I think he’ll do well. His problem will be getting entitled players to listen. Vigneault for example has that knack. I don’t think Gordon has it, & it was my only worry about him.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think he just wanted to stay with the great team he built vs starting over in Seattle or cleaning up the Edm cluster.

Idk you think they’d fire him for an understudy? He’s a very good GM. I wouldn’t let him go for an unproven guy. A lot different than losing homer for hextall.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Foley is cutthroat. Damn.
Not really Foley. This was George McPhee's plan all along. I heard him interviewed on radio in Toronto early in the playoffs. He was asked about other teams trying to get Kelly McCrimmon for their GM. He said something like, 'I'm sure we'll find a way to keep Kelly with the Golden Knights.' They were just waiting for their playoffs to be over, and to let other teams know he's not on the market.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I could be wrong, but I sure think Hextall wanted people he could control, like his players’ diets.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Not really Foley. This was George McPhee's plan all along. I heard him interviewed on radio in Toronto early in the playoffs. He was asked about other teams trying to get Kelly McCrimmon for their GM. He said something like, 'I'm sure we'll find a way to keep Kelly with the Golden Knights.' They were just waiting for their playoffs to be over, and to let other teams know he's not on the market.
I never think it’s a person’s plan to hire his replacement in a prestigious position unless he has a terminal diagnosis.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I never think it’s a person’s plan to hire his replacement in a prestigious position unless he has a terminal diagnosis.
In my experience, good executives groom and promote their successors. In that interview, McPhee said his focus was more on the business side than the player side, and that McCrimmon as AGM was overseeing all the scouting etc. It was the next logical progression. McPhee was a GM in Washington for what, 15+ years? I'm sure he's ready to change his title and promote his friend, rather than lose him to a competitor. It was a no-brainer and a good reward for a top talent.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Looking forward to what AV can do with this club. Given the list of bodies behind the bench , it's hard for me to believe that there's been a better coach in this building for quite some time.
Especially if we upgrade as is expected. I would think you could get an extra 10 wins with AV, No Hak, Frost, Duchene, Trouba. That’s a big if for the last two but they are strong possibilities. That would put us a win away from a division win.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We had 98 points two years ago, we had 82 points with the fourth worst goalies.
Of the 18 teams with the highest S%, only only AZ, Anaheim, Montreal, and Vancouver missed the playoffs
Of the other 13 teams, only Calgary and San Jose (worst in the NHL) made the playoffs.

So without making personnel changes, just with Hart and any backup who can combine to be league average or better, we're a good shot to make the playoffs.
Add a full year of Myers, Morin, as well as Frost, Farabee? and whomever they pick up and AV would have to sabotage this team to miss the playoffs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Be careful what you wish for, look at the Islanders.
I see this as a learning year for the young kids, they'll go as far as the kids take them.
So I'm less interested in adding "names" than just adding depth so kids don't have to be rushed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad