Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Those late season acquisitions in ‘04 — Zhamnov, Malakhov, Markov, & Timander — plus Primeau elevating to God mode in the playoffs, really took that squad to a new level. Such a shame Desjardins was out for the playoffs & that the rest of the D got hammered with injuries throughout the playoffs.

Bob Clarke didn’t like carrying many veteran defensemen as regular healthy scratches because it creates disgruntlement & he thought it was unfair to bury players if they could be playing elsewhere. But man did it end up biting them trading Weinrich.

Forgot Johnston was hurt
For a short period he was an outstanding player

2004 hurts more than loss for me.
I thought they had the best team

Reactions: kelmitchell

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Would you rather have Vigneault or Brind'Amour?

I think it's a little weird that people act like we didn't lose the Brindy trade handily. Primeau was a terrific player and absolutely played at an inner-circle HOF level for one postseason. But Brindy actually ended up playing more games for the Canes than he did for us, became a franchise icon, won two Selkes and a Stanley Cup, got Hart votes at age 35 and had a ppg season at age 36. If Primeau didn't have the concussions, it might be a different story, but Carolina got way more value.

And if we don't make the trade he's probably HC right now.
brind'amour was my favorite flyer, and I hated this trade forever.

It was great (for him) to see him win the cup, but I hate that he's not part of this organization.

Its hard to argue with AVs resume though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I loved Primeau that year. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Agree with the D. We were decimated there. That game 7 agaisnt Tampa was so lack luster though. Almost as bad as the game 7 blowout to buffalo

The 8-0 game was actually Game 6. They went down 3-1 and played Game 5 at home and won having dressed only 5 defensemen (on purpose). PJ Stock was the 13th forward and played less than 2 minutes (keep in mind Fedoruk was on the team at this time as well). Then they obviously the next game was a total disaster and didn't make the change. Chris Gratton certainly got back at the Flyers in that series.

I still blame Roenick. All he had to do was clear the zone, two feet away, but he got fancy, circled back, then coughed it up. The puck ended up with Freddie Modin whose shot broke Ragnarsson's foot. That little bit of hotdogging cost us the Cup. F JR.

Especially how he disappeared in that series apart from Game 6.

Modin also scored the goal where Markov got beat on an icing and set up the winning goal in Game 7.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The 8-0 game was actually Game 6. They went down 3-1 and played Game 5 at home and won having dressed only 5 defensemen (on purpose). PJ Stock was the 13th forward and played less than 2 minutes (keep in mind Fedoruk was on the team at this time as well). Then they obviously the next game was a total disaster and didn't make the change. Chris Gratton certainly got back at the Flyers in that series.
Thanks. Yea that was a massive let down

Reactions: Beef Invictus

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
That conference final in 2004 was sooooo painful!

Rusty Fedotenko with six frigging goals! :banghead:

My son was five at the time. I can still picture him crying his eyes out after game seven was over.

Brutal.

I hate to admit this.
There were times I cried over sports.
Closing moments of 87 finals, game 7
And that 2004 loss. During that run I had been so certain they were the cup. It felt hopeless afterwards. I couldn't imagine ever having a better shot. And in many ways it was true.

1993 Phillies I was simply pissed and numb at the same time.

Reactions: Foggy14

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
2004 was different than 2010 even though they should've won both times. In 2010 it was like 'they should've won but they lost and this is why and it shouldn't have happened.' 2004 was like they should've won and there wasn't much they could do about the fact they didn't, at least if you excuse them for trading Weinrich and Therien.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That conference final in 2004 was sooooo painful!

Rusty Fedotenko with six frigging goals! :banghead:

My son was five at the time. I can still picture him crying his eyes out after game seven was over.

Brutal.

God after I watched game 6 and how regulation and OT I thought it was destiny to win game 7. Took me weeks to get over that loss

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ken Hitchcock labels 2004 as his bitterest coaching memory. He says they were a great team & absolutely would’ve won the Cup if not for an epidemic of injuries & if they won game 7 vs TB.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nipples is on vacation until the end of May or something - he'll probably decide when he gets back.

I feel like we need AV’s face on this....

giphy.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Goddam you! I'll never be able to unsee that. :laugh:

2 thoughts: 1) This is some of your best work. 2) Your mind is a deep dark cesspool of twisted pop culture references and general absurdities.

Magua made me do this one, and someone else initiated all the nipple talk. I have been responsible for starting a lot of stupidity on here, but in this case I am merely the vehicle through which the perversion flows. I am sure I will initiate plenty more stupidity as we get more material to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad