Alain Vigneault Named Head Coach Part 2

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Somebody dubbed bits of Carlin's standup into episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine that he did, and the results are hilarious.
NSFW language warning

I’m dying here. My dad raised me on this and despite my best efforts, my son loves trains and Thomas. My mind was blown at the litany of talents who narrated it; in addition to the aforementioned ringo and Carlin, I remember Alec Baldwin and pierce brosnan as well. A mediocre James Bond was Thomas the god damn tank engine

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You're both beaten by @MiamiScreamingEagles, who first achieved sentience as the Earth congealed out of the void, and who watched the first creature struggle gasping onto dry land, and who invented racing odds while running a Brontosaurus racing league. It is due to his long memory that we know what dinosaurs actually looked like.

GettyImages-836201698-3db0452.jpg

feathereddinos-ursschweitzer-imagno-gettyimages.jpg

h5618EB28

He was here before us. He will persist after.

MSE moderated the singularity.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Would you rather have Vigneault or Brind'Amour?

I think it's a little weird that people act like we didn't lose the Brindy trade handily. Primeau was a terrific player and absolutely played at an inner-circle HOF level for one postseason. But Brindy actually ended up playing more games for the Canes than he did for us, became a franchise icon, won two Selkes and a Stanley Cup, got Hart votes at age 35 and had a ppg season at age 36. If Primeau didn't have the concussions, it might be a different story, but Carolina got way more value.

And if we don't make the trade he's probably HC right now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Had Clarke not traded Eric Weinrich that year, we may have gotten past Tampa as well. We just ran out of defensemen.

Also traded Therien at the same deadline. Not sure if he would have helped much though.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Had Clarke not traded Eric Weinrich that year, we may have gotten past Tampa as well. We just ran out of defensemen.
I still blame Roenick. All he had to do was clear the zone, two feet away, but he got fancy, circled back, then coughed it up. The puck ended up with Freddie Modin whose shot broke Ragnarsson's foot. That little bit of hotdogging cost us the Cup. F JR.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Didn't he trade Therien too? [Edit, yes, and Vandermeer too. Three D traded who could have helped. Did add Malakhov.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Those late season acquisitions in ‘04 — Zhamnov, Malakhov, Markov, & Timander — plus Primeau elevating to God mode in the playoffs, really took that squad to a new level. Such a shame Desjardins was out for the playoffs & that the rest of the D got hammered with injuries throughout the playoffs.

Bob Clarke didn’t like carrying many veteran defensemen as regular healthy scratches because it creates disgruntlement & he thought it was unfair to bury players if they could be playing elsewhere. But man did it end up biting them trading Weinrich.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Those late season acquisitions in ‘04 — Zhamnov, Malakhov, Markov, & Timander — plus Primeau elevating to God mode in the playoffs, really took that squad to a new level. Such a shame Desjardins was out for the playoffs & that the rest of the D got hammered with injuries throughout the playoffs.

Bob Clarke didn’t like carrying many veteran defensemen as regular healthy scratches because it creates disgruntlement & he thought it was unfair to bury players if they could be playing elsewhere. But man did it end up biting them trading Weinrich.
This happens every year. Opponents crush the defensemen. With each round, more of them go down. A club needs at least eight quality defensemen to make it through the POs. This position is where smart teams add at the TDL, not trade off. BC didn't get that memo.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This happens every year. Opponents crush the defensemen. With each round, more of them go down. A club needs at least eight quality defensemen to make it through the POs. This position is where smart teams add at the TDL, not trade off. BC didn't get that memo.
I’ve never seen any defensive injury bug quite like what hit the ‘04 Flyers, though. They literally only had TWO defensemen who were able to play in each game of the playoffs.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Funny enough Washington only had 7 defensemen play in last year's playoffs. Jerabek only played 2 of the 24 games in place of Christian Djoos and neither of them played much at all. The funniest part of all is the Washington team that ended up winning the cup was easily less talented than SEVERAL of the teams that fell short. They had their fair share of timely goals and goaltending, but most of all it takes a lot of luck. Hockey culture blamed a lot of it on Ovechkin suddenly being a better leader, but there was a lot more to it than that.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hockey culture blamed a lot of it on Ovechkin suddenly being a better leader, but there was a lot more to it than that.

I roll my eyes at self-serving, hindsight bias playoff narratives.

Ovechkin didn't suddenly become a better leader, and that's why they finally won. He also became a better defensive player. And when you combine the two, that's why they finally won.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Funny enough Washington only had 7 defensemen play in last year's playoffs. Jerabek only played 2 of the 24 games in place of Christian Djoos and neither of them played much at all. The funniest part of all is the Washington team that ended up winning the cup was easily less talented than SEVERAL of the teams that fell short. They had their fair share of timely goals and goaltending, but most of all it takes a lot of luck. Hockey culture blamed a lot of it on Ovechkin suddenly being a better leader, but there was a lot more to it than that.
Good post. No doubt that the Caps had the hockey gods working for them. Usually a team's defense is pretty depleted from the second round on. This year it killed TB in the first round. The decimation of the defense should be the killer of the Leafs since their D is so weak to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->