Air Canada threatens to pull sponsorship from NHL over headshots

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
i cant believe any fan of hockey could be against this type of public appeal. In the end, the only message is "keep players safe and accountable".

Is it a marketing ploy? Who knows, but what is the worst outcome in this scenario? Could the NHL actually think, "hmmm, this seems to bother people, maybe we should think about protecting our assets"

The problem isnt AC, its the NHL. And if you hate the habs and this story then fine, but no one wants to see guys having to get stretchered away & no one be accountable for it. And incase you didnt know AC is a publically shared company & i assure you current and potentially buyers dont not like what the see. Would you want to be associated with a league who essentially sanctions plays like last night?

Next time someone on your team gets seriously hurt and its avoidable and goes unpunished, your only hope is that people with voices and power take time to publically speak out. Hope for change.

The game of hockey has become a gong show.

Quoted so maybe people will read this. Irregardless of the motives, it's a message that NEEDED to be sent.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yeah, my bad. I am disappointed to see you defending this hit though.

I'm not defending it, I'm attacking the fanatical attacks against the League from a variety of sources, while ignoring that there is at least half of the people out there who have a totally opposite opinion. And they're not all Bruins fans.

I personally expected a 2-3 game suspension. And if it had been handed out much worse than that, I'd accept it and not be here crying bloody murder, 'the Bruins got screwed'.

There is a problem in the League, a problem that needs to be fixed, but Chara isn't the source of the problem, not any more than most other players who have been on the giving end of a "brutal hit", and the League itself didn't create the problem... though it has failed to resolve it, as of yet. But it's a problem that many fans don't even want fixed, because they simply don't want the game to change. I'm not necessarily one of those fans, and that's the me that I think you know.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't hate the Habs. I certainly don't like the Bruins. I find it ridiculous that some people seem to think its a grand idea for a corporate sponsor to dictate the rules. They have the power of their sponsorship dollars, true, but fans ultimately rule revenue.

Disagree with the NHL's ruling? Stop buying tickets and I bet they review their policies.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Yes, it is. I remember the type of player that the Leafs had when they played in Air Canada center in the early part of this decade. If they could stomach being associated with Darcy Tucker, Tie Domi and Company....I think they have a rather dim view of NHL players well being.

Never heard a peep from them when Leafs players were cold cocking players from behind.

I can recall two cases of so called cold cocking:laugh:

I'm sure a few other teams had players "cold cocking" other players.

So just because you didn't hear about it back then, means they can't have an opinion now?

I don't think what big ZED did was intentional. And I think the hit happens many times a night, just not that close to the bench.

That said, I do think the league has to look at head shots in a different light.

I realize (as I've played many years) that hockey can be a violent sport. But one day a player will get killed and we'll all be saying, something should have been done.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
I'm not defending it, I'm attacking the fanatical attacks against the League from a variety of sources, while ignoring that there is at least half of the people out there who have a totally opposite opinion. And they're not all Bruins fans.

I personally expected a 2-3 game suspension. And if it had been handed out much worse than that, I'd accept it and not be here crying bloody murder, 'the Bruins got screwed'.

There is a problem in the League, a problem that needs to be fixed, but Chara isn't the source of the problem, not any more than most other players who have been on the giving end of a "brutal hit", and the League itself didn't create the problem... though it has failed to resolve it, as of yet. But it's a problem that many fans don't even want fixed, because they simply don't want the game to change. I'm not necessarily one of those fans, and that's the me that I think you know.

Fair enough, we can all agree with that. I hope anyway. None of us, at least not me, are trying to say Chara is the reason for the problem in the league. He's always been a clean player for the most part, I have no problem with him - most of the time. Most of the fans, the logical ones anyway, of the Montreal Canadiens realize this.

The thing is, no matter why Air Canada sent this letter, is the statement not true? Is it not a good thing that someone, for any reason, finally stepped up to the league?

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
No, just trying to point out that Air Canada doesn't seem to care too much about the health of players until something happens to the team in their own backyard.

This is rank hypocrisy by this corporation, and they would not have lifted a finger about this if it was a Panthers, Thrashers, Blackhawks, or Sharks player getting taken off the ice on a stretcher.

If you buy a magazine each month, you're allowed to stop paying if you don't like the product.

is that simple enough

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
No, just trying to point out that Air Canada doesn't seem to care too much about the health of players until something happens to the team in their own backyard.

This is rank hypocrisy by this corporation, and they would not have lifted a finger about this if it was a Panthers, Thrashers, Blackhawks, or Sharks player getting taken off the ice on a stretcher.

I really don't know how you can say that w/o proof.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA

I think it's well less than half, and I think with Pacioretty's comments that he feels Chara held his head in place so he couldn't move away until he hit the stanchion, it's going to be mostly Bruins fans and Habs haters left soon, and everyone else on the other side.

I honestly put this much closer to the McSorley/Bertuzzi type play than a normal head shot. The intent isn't as clear, so it's not the same, but it is so incredibly reckless than when a catastrophic injury occurs, the entire weight of the NHL should come down on you.

I would have been satisfied with the rest of the regular season, and would not have objected to including the first round or two of the playoffs.

No one denies this was interference, right?

Well, my analogy is if I ran a red light and killed 3 pedestrians I didn't notice, I should still face serious charges even though I didn't mean to kill them, right?

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Simply.... silence silence silence silence... Montreal?!?!?! We boycott.

Wasn't even a head shot.

No, but it was a dirty hit. It was interference, which is illegal. A player was injured on an illegal hit, which is a suspension. Hence the uproar.

Zeroknowledge*

This situation is becoming Absolutely hilarious and ridiculous. Thank you Air Canada for deciding that you should be part of judge and jury for the NHL.

Of all the injustice in the world, let's climb all over the NHL's back, from all sectors of society. The NHL is the Kadafi of the world of sport. :shakehead

no Kadafi is serious business

the NHL on the other hand is a joke for the mishandling of this situation.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
No, but it was a dirty hit. It was interference, which is illegal. A player was injured on an illegal hit, which is a suspension. Hence the uproar.

Wasn't a dirty hit. Incidental contact from being interfered with. You have determined intent all by yourself. I agree a suspension is warranted becasue even if something occurs in an accidental situation, a player should be responsible. 2 or 3 games would be appropriate justice.

No intent, no big suspension. I hope for the best for Max. A terrible tragedy, but Air Canada is out of line.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
This is the thing. If Air Canada wishes for the NHL to be more stringent with their punishment from here on out that's one thing. If they wish to alter the already given verdict of no suspension for Chara then thats an entirely different matter. No sponser should have that power over the league they support.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

The uproar is over the end result - if it's a career ending concussion but he manages to skate away Air Canada doesn't give a ****.

If it happens in an American setting not involving Canadian teams, Air Canada does not give a ****.

The people at Air Canada? Maybe they care but at the end of the day the people being paid millions will make the right business decision - regardless of the moral one. Time after time we hear of an airline crash and how the either: the pilots were overworked, there was a lack of maintenance - why do you think that is? It's a business/financial decision because the management decides the risk is low enough to be worth it financially .

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
Wasn't a dirty hit. Incidental contact from being interfered with. You have determined intent all by yourself. I agree a suspension is warranted becasue even if something occurs in an accidental situation, a player should be responsible. 2 or 3 games would be appropriate justice.

No intent, no big suspension. I hope for the best for Max. A terrible tragedy, but Air Canada is out of line.

why? They don't like what they see, they don't have to support it.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia

I didn't say anything about intent. The hit was illegal. A penalty was called immediately for interference, and to say it wasn't interference is ridiculous. He started the hit late, let alone finished it late, and a player was injured because of it. I'm not saying he intended to injure, but it's Chara's job as a player and a veteran of the league to not be reckless on this play.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
This is the thing. If Air Canada wishes for the NHL to be more stringent with their punishment from here on out that's one thing. If they wish to alter the already given verdict of no suspension for Chara then thats an entirely different matter. No sponser should have that power over the league they support.

NBC dictates the times of games. Though, they're not a sponsor and definitely don't provide the NHL the $ Air Canada does.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
another thing is don't these sponsers have some sort on contract. Wouldn't they be in breach of said contract by opting out on a whim. I would thing there would need to be warning/proper documents/notice filed, and if this is it so be it, but otherwise I think Air Canada would be walking a tightrope here, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad