Air Canada threatens to pull sponsorship from NHL over headshots

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
When was the last time a sponsor pulled out of any of the other major sports leagues because a player on their favorite team got hurt and the guy that hurt him didn't get suspended? That's all this is. If this hit was in an Edmonton-Ducks game Air Canada (which is headquartered in MONTREAL) wouldn't give a damn. It's pure unprofessionalism on the part of the people running Air Canada, it's not a business decision at all. Nobody is going to look at that hit and then decide that they won't fly Air Canada anymore because they are one of the NHL's many sponsors.

Air Canada, stop letting your personal feelings about your favorite sports team get in the way of business. It's embarrassing.

Not really, AC sponsors the whole league. If the league wants to piss it off, thats the NHL's problem.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
They will if more do the same, remember that Molson/coors are a Big NHL sponsor... guess which Family owns th Habs.

this is the best news ive read all day. Call us whiny if we take our puck and go home., Children learn early to avoid trouble, this whole league is in trouble.

How many teams turned a profit last season?

How many were CDN?

Another sponser will step in in their place. Maybe not as big or high profile but another sponser would be found. But from the articles I read they sponser the Canadian teams as well essentially taking money out of their hands as well. What gain do Canadian teams get if the league folds? 6 total franchises and no league?

Kaoz*

Lmao @ trying to bully the NHL into giving the hometown team favorable treatment. If this happens in Atlanta people notice it for about a minute, then forget about it before Sportscenter comes on at noon.

It's silly to act like this isn't a two way street, Air Canada benefits from supporting the NHL. Talk about blowing hot air.

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
Not being a smart ass here, but you need to go research the laws regarding foreign flagged carriers operating in Canada.

Do you think Air Canada would last this long if it wasn't protected? :laugh: You've never flown them - I can tell ;)

I've flown Air Canada many times, both short and long haul flights. What's wrong with them? Not the best I've ever flown but definitely among the good ones. Have you ever flown Delta? United? American?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think what most people are failing to realize -- the NHL has had a growing crisis, through basically no fault of it's own. You watch the video below from 5:30, and you see tons of hits into the turnbuckle, many much worse than this where it was a player being directed into the turnbuckle rather than Chara's where he was directed into the boards.

The biggest difference between today and these hits -- the players are much bigger, stronger, and faster. Conditioning today is much more advanced than it was 10 years ago. These athletes are all performing at the peak of their physical capabilities much moreso than before. You've go extremely lightweight equipment that allows you to move even quicker. It's a similar development path to stick technology, sure goalies look like the michelin man today whereas 40 years ago they were just slightly bigger skaters, but 40 years ago, people couldn't shoot anywhere near 100 mph.

You see a lot less shoulder or knee injuries today because of this conditioning, but you see more head injuries because the head can't be conditioned to take abuse. The big problem that people have of course -- is that knees and shoulders heal much better than brains. Hockey has always been a somewhat reckless game, as is football or any other contact sport, the object hasn't been to remove the player from the puck and ensure he gently glides into the boards, the object has been to remove the player from the puck and get back into the play.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
When was the last time a sponsor pulled out of any of the other major sports leagues because a player on their favorite team got hurt and the guy that hurt him didn't get suspended? That's all this is. If this hit was in an Edmonton-Ducks game Air Canada (which is headquartered in MONTREAL) wouldn't give a damn. It's pure unprofessionalism on the part of the people running Air Canada, it's not a business decision at all. Nobody is going to look at that hit and then decide that they won't fly Air Canada anymore because they are one of the NHL's many sponsors.

Air Canada, stop letting your personal feelings about your favorite sports team get in the way of business. It's embarrassing.

Yes. I'm sure this is about their personal feelings. This is what multi-million dollar corporations base their decisions on. :facepalm:

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Why is it so hard to believe that maybe, just maybe, Air Canada is legitimately concerned for the health and well being of the NHL Players. After all, the players are the product, and under the current rules, Air Canada is supporting a product that allows players to walk away with a slap on the wrist for dramatically changing lives. Players suffer concussions and have severe headaches for the rest of their lives, and the NHL's idea of punishment is a couple of games.

Does it matter what hit finally led to Air Canada - or ANY sponsor for that matter - stepping up and threatening the NHL? If you think the way the NHL handles disciplinary matters isn't flawed, there is something wrong with the way you think.

The article isn't JUST about the Pacioretty hit, but the same people will always ***** and moan and say that there is nothing wrong with the way the NHL handles such situations - until it happens to their own team (again, in the Bruins case).

This is a professional company we're talking about for godsakes, not some fanboy wearing a suit and sounding important. These are grown men, they are professionals. They aren't going to threaten the NHL just because their "favourite team" lost a player. Grow the hell up and notice the **** spewing out of your own mouths.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Another sponser will step in in their place. Maybe not as big or high profile but another sponser would be found. But from the articles I read they sponser the Canadian teams as well essentially taking money out of their hands as well. What gain do Canadian teams get if the league folds? 6 total franchises and no league?
If the NHL folds, a Canadian league would undoubtedly form. Derp derp.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Pretty good and extremely cheap marketing strategy if you ask me. No real risk in most of the country while strongly playing to the Quebec market.

b s

I am booking a flight in the a.m.
Because of this "marketing strategy" I am using Air Canada. NOT

Good for them the NHL has done diddly re this as Bettman and his merry men run around the globe screwing up this great sport.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
let them pull out and start up their own no-hit league. the board members can decide who wins and phone-in reviews of penalties based on who their kid wants to win.

it'll be fun!

you can have the Montreal My Little Ponies vs. the Toronto Cupcakes!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think what most people are failing to realize -- the NHL has had a growing crisis, through basically no fault of it's own. You watch the video below from 5:30, and you see tons of hits into the turnbuckle, many much worse than this where it was a player being directed into the turnbuckle rather than Chara's where he was directed into the boards.

The biggest difference between today and these hits -- the players are much bigger, stronger, and faster. Conditioning today is much more advanced than it was 10 years ago. These athletes are all performing at the peak of their physical capabilities much moreso than before. You've go extremely lightweight equipment that allows you to move even quicker. It's a similar development path to stick technology, sure goalies look like the michelin man today whereas 40 years ago they were just slightly bigger skaters, but 40 years ago, people couldn't shoot anywhere near 100 mph.

You see a lot less shoulder or knee injuries today because of this conditioning, but you see more head injuries because the head can't be conditioned to take abuse.

Certainly some truth to that, the league was more brutal and cheaper back in the day but it was all played at a slower pace with less weight thrown around. If you want to reduce the serious injury risk, lock the teams in mountain huts with nothing but basic groceries and then give them 1950s equipment.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
If the NHL folds, a Canadian league would undoubtedly form. Derp derp.

And all the Europeans would stay in Europe, and the Americans would either form their own league or go to Europe.

And the only person happy about that in the long run would be Don Cherry.

Retail1LO*

Yeah, they're totally doing it because they're LOL HOMER HABS FANS

it's not like this is a serious matter that's embarrassing the league or anything

Yeah, right? I mean, this league has never needed the likes of Lindros, LaFontaine, Savard, Connolly, Crosby and the myriad others that are taking shots to the dome. I say we like everybody up and give them all a whack to the nugget and say "toughen up." Fairies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
let them pull out and start up their own no-hit league. the board members can decide who wins and phone-in reviews of penalties based on who their kid wants to win.

it'll be fun!

And you'd have...oh wait.

Inferior derp derp.
You said Canada would have no league, then admit that one would be created.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

it'll be fun!

Where they going to play, the Air Canada Centre in Toronto? :laugh:

Eleven

Solid As The Sun
Sep 22, 2009
Ohio
hey look , air canada just got a massive free advertisement.

Forget that, I like the "Sunshine Girl" at the bottom of the page!

Ok seriously though, the guy has a point. They spend massive amounts of money and if he thinks the league is not doing it's job and people are getting hurt, and his company is connected in any way, then he can gripe about it all he wants.

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm saying they are sour Montreal fans, I'm not saying they don't have interests in the NHL outside of Montreal.

What im saying is if they are fans of slighted team A, they have the right to pull their support from the offenders.

If i give you 10 bucks every month and you spit in my face, don't be surprised if your next cheque is late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->