Air Canada threatens to pull sponsorship from NHL over headshots

Davebo*

I've flown Air Canada many times, both short and long haul flights. What's wrong with them? Not the best I've ever flown but definitely among the good ones. Have you ever flown Delta? United? American?

I've flown most of the bigs....

Have you ever flown SwissAir? KLM? British Airways? (well in the 90's).

Air Canada is nothing special as an airline these days.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
What im saying is if they are fans of slighted team A, they have the right to pull their support from the offenders.

If i give you 10 bucks every month and you spit in my face, don't be surprised if your next cheque is late.

So corporations threatening to pull their support from a league because their favorite team has been slighted is totally okay? Because that sounds like corruption to me.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
oh, sorry. i thought this was about a corporation dictating what is and isn't acceptable in the NHL.

So in your opinion, concussions, which are life-threatening in some cases and life-changing in many others, are acceptable? In any sport? It's barbaric comments like that that get this sport so much heat in the first place. Yes, the sport is violent and fast-paced, but steps need to be taken to protect players and punish offenders, it doesn't make the league any less "manly", don't worry.

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
And all the Europeans would stay in Europe, and the Americans would either form their own league or go to Europe.

And the only person happy about that in the long run would be Don Cherry.

Is New York (R) going to prop up all the other financially struggling teams in this american league?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I think what most people are failing to realize -- the NHL has had a growing crisis, through basically no fault of it's own. You watch the video below from 5:30, and you see tons of hits into the turnbuckle, many much worse than this where it was a player being directed into the turnbuckle rather than Chara's where he was directed into the boards.

The biggest difference between today and these hits -- the players are much bigger, stronger, and faster. Conditioning today is much more advanced than it was 10 years ago. These athletes are all performing at the peak of their physical capabilities much moreso than before. You've go extremely lightweight equipment that allows you to move even quicker. It's a similar development path to stick technology, sure goalies look like the michelin man today whereas 40 years ago they were just slightly bigger skaters, but 40 years ago, people couldn't shoot anywhere near 100 mph.

You see a lot less shoulder or knee injuries today because of this conditioning, but you see more head injuries because the head can't be conditioned to take abuse. The big problem that people have of course -- is that knees and shoulders heal much better than brains. Hockey has always been a somewhat reckless game, as is football or any other contact sport, the object hasn't been to remove the player from the puck and ensure he gently glides into the boards, the object has been to remove the player from the puck and get back into the play.

Oh Wow, where did a post of calm sense come from out of all this. You sir, I will respond to. Everyone is looking to press the blame on someone, but a great many fans need to look in the mirror and see that they've all denied the evolution of the game and the players that play it, as well as the strategies to win in a more competitive League. Changes are needed, Yes, but in truth almost nobody wants them, and the League is just like the fans that watch it, dragging its feet to accommodate the "painful" realties that exist. No one player is responsible for woes that exist today in the League, and the League itself hasn't created these problems, they've come about through the evolution of the game, and the League, everyone, hasn't adapted to it all yet.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I wonder if this was a Phoenix/Florida game and this happened to Steve Bernier if there would be this much of an uproar. He is Canadian, from Quebec, would there be a difference or no?

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
So in your opinion, concussions, which are life-threatening in some cases and life-changing in many others, are acceptable? In any sport? It's barbaric comments like that that get this sport so much heat in the first place. Yes, the sport is violent and fast-paced, but steps need to be taken to protect players and punish offenders, it doesn't make the league any less "manly", don't worry.

That's not what he's saying at all. Saying what Air Canada is doing (throwing a public hissy fit over their favorite team) is wrong does not mean he doesn't support making the game safer.

Koss

I have happened to watch a lot of turnbuckle videos today too from past seasons. They have been everywhere.

You know what's interesting about watching similar hits, is that the guy hitting the player into the turnbuckle either lets up before the impact or the player finishes the hit when it's clear the head is not going to be taking the brunt of the impact. The difference with last night's hit is that the hitter made damn sure the guy he was hitting was going to take the turnbuckle right off the bucket. You just don't see that in any of the other hits.

I just watched that video on the 1st page and take back what I said; I hadn't seen most of those hits before and their were many similar plays to the hit last night. If everyone skated away from those than they were pretty lucky. I for one did not enjoy that video. I thought most of the hits there were not hockey plays at all but mostly head hunting and boarding. There were a few good ones though.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
Go ahead. You just made it seem as if Canadian teams would be screwed in the event that the NHL folded.

Thats NOT what I said. I said what do Canadian teams gain if the league folds? Theres a difference. Right now there's 6 Canadian teams. Could, there be, should there be, would there be more? Sure. But what do they gain? That isn't growing a league. As it stands theres teams in TWO nations. If needed be I'm sure Canada could start their own and I'm sure the U.S. could start their own. Regardless... Canadian teams are great. U.S. teams are great too. Together they make up the NHL the BEST league in the world....to let ONE sponser destroy that? That's ridiculous.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
That's not what he's saying at all. Saying what Air Canada is doing (throwing a public hissy fit over their favorite team) is wrong does not mean he doesn't support making the game safer.

Which goes back to my first post. Who the hell are we to say what Air Canada's motives are? They are a big company, and they sponsor a product. The players are the product, and if they aren't being protected, what message does that send? Is it THAT unbelievable to think Air Canada, just like passionate hockey fans world wide are legitimately concerned about the health and well-being of players?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

slow down tiger. First of all, that's your statement--i didn't say anything like that. It's reactionary dickery like that which makes people just plug their ears when people like you talk.

and let me repeat myself because you couldn't hear over your self-righteous blathering: this thread is about a corporate sponsor buying influence over rules and regulations in the NHL.

whatever their motives. the US gets demonized for this all the time when they mess with foreign states "for their own good".

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Is it THAT unbelievable to think Air Canada, just like passionate hockey fans world wide are legitimately concerned about the health and well-being of players?

Yes, it is. I remember the type of player that the Leafs had when they played in Air Canada center in the early part of this decade. If they could stomach being associated with Darcy Tucker, Tie Domi and Company....I think they have a rather dim view of NHL players well being.

Never heard a peep from them when Leafs players were cold cocking players from behind.

Davebo*

slow down tiger. First of all, that's your statement--i didn't say anything like that. It's reactionary dickery like that which makes people just plug their ears when people like you talk.

and let me repeat myself because you couldn't hear over your self-righteous blathering: this thread is about a corporate sponsor buying influence over rules and regulations in the NHL.

whatever their motives. the US gets demonized for this all the time when they mess with foreign states "for their own good".

And now it's happening to you. At least you'll have empathy, right?

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Can we make something clear? This isn't a normal headshot.

This is a broken neck. This is a situation where if the doctors had even the slightest tremor while transferring to the gurney to displace the 4th vertebrae, he likely would not have walked again for months, if ever again.

This is a situation where if he hit another inch up the neck, it would have been the 3rd vertebrae, which instead of the legs, involves the lungs.

Or another inch is the 2nd vertebrae, which involves the heart.

One more inch is the 1st vertebrae, and that's Christopher Reeve if you are one of the lucky ones. 3 inches from total life devastation if you are LUCKY.

The NHL dodged total disaster by 1-3 inches ... less than the width of puck.

Stop acting like this is just a normal hit. It wasn't.

Kikizaz

Jan 15, 2008
Victoria BC
Yes, it is. I remember the type of player that the Leafs had when they played in Air Canada center in the early part of this decade. If they could stomach being associated with Darcy Tucker, Tie Domi and Company....I think they have a rather dim view of NHL players well being.

Never heard a peep from them when Leafs players were cold cocking players from behind.

edit: no point

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Stop acting like this is just a normal hit. It wasn't.

And if he got right up after the hit, it would be an odds on favorite for hit of the year and would be closing in on 1,000,000 views on YT.

This is a perfect example of people wanting a penalty based on the injury, not on the hit.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
And if he got right up after the hit, it would be an odds on favorite for hit of the year and would be closing in on 1,000,000 views on YT.

This is a perfect example of people wanting a penalty based on the injury, not on the hit.
I've never seen anyone get up from having their head driven into a post at 20 mph.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Exactly it's not the endeavor that should anger some but rather the timing. No uproar over the Crosby,Savard, or Richards hits. Yet a Canadian player on a Canadian team-the very teams the majority of the sponser's money go to- and we get this. Kudos for standing up to the hits and arguing for changes, but the timing seems off.

Pacioretty is not Canadian.

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
I've flown most of the bigs....

Have you ever flown SwissAir? KLM? British Airways? (well in the 90's).

Air Canada is nothing special as an airline these days.

But it ain't ****** like the ones I mentioned. Am I supposed to list all the other airlines I've flown here? its going to take me a while to remember all the names.

edit: this is the first post of mine and a response to it that I've been able to find all day! the other threads are moving too damn fast! woohoo!!

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
i cant believe any fan of hockey could be against this type of public appeal. In the end, the only message is "keep players safe and accountable".

Is it a marketing ploy? Who knows, but what is the worst outcome in this scenario? Could the NHL actually think, "hmmm, this seems to bother people, maybe we should think about protecting our assets"

The problem isnt AC, its the NHL. And if you hate the habs and this story then fine, but no one wants to see guys having to get stretchered away & no one be accountable for it. And incase you didnt know AC is a publically shared company & i assure you current and potentially buyers dont not like what the see. Would you want to be associated with a league who essentially sanctions plays like last night?

Next time someone on your team gets seriously hurt and its avoidable and goes unpunished, your only hope is that people with voices and power take time to publically speak out. Hope for change.

The game of hockey has become a gong show.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
I suppose having a multi-thread discussion in the main forum isn't large enough to contain the bile that has been spewing there... now we have spillage in the business section.

I think we need a Boards Therapist to compliment the abundance of lawyers and accountants. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad