Air Canada threatens to pull sponsorship from NHL over headshots

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Air Canada specifically mentions the Chara hit, which seems strange.

What are they worried about - headshots, or hits like Chara's?

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Don't see the problem here. Frankly advertisers should flex their muscles more. If all the Canadian sponsors told Bettman they would end their contacts if teams don't relocate to Canada, there would be teams in Quebec and Winnipeg yesterday.

Time to remind the twerp who is boss.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
I'm with Air Canada on this. Injuries of this sort have never dominated this sport to this extent in my memory. It's getting a tad ridiculous.

Air Canada or any other sponsor is absolutely within their rights to tell the NHL or any other product they sponsor that it will not continue sponsorship for actions they deem not reflective of their own image. This is not the first time a sponsor has done this and won't be the last.

Obviously Bettman agrees too or he wouldn't be making changes to the game or decisions about franchise placement based on what he thinks or knows an American TV Network sponsor might want.

This is bad publicity for the league on top of the Phoenix Fiasco and the handling of Balsillie. Toss in the fact that three Canadian cities at least want NHL teams and can probably afford them and run them at a profit while maybe 10 current American NHL franchised cities can't and Bettman is paralysed because of his flawed business plan.

I don't see this situation getting any better for the NHL any time soon. I'd say we're not yet at that day darkest before the dawn.

It's sad that off ice events overshadow the game itself. The worst is yet to come IMHO.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Don't see the problem here. Frankly advertisers should flex their muscles more. If all the Canadian sponsors told Bettman they would end their contacts if teams don't relocate to Canada, there would be teams in Quebec and Winnipeg yesterday.

Time to remind the twerp who is boss.

Bull. This whole it-threatens-our-brand idea is total crap. Nobody is sitting at home, choosing which flight to take to Regina, and saying "Well clearly Air Canada is incapable of safely flying me to Regina, since they sponsor an event that occasionally gives people concussions". Any consumer that any business wants to deal with isn't stupid enough to try to connect the dots like that.

If all the Canadian sponsors told Bettman they would end their contacts if teams don't relocate to Canada, they'd find their arses in court for breach of contract so fast, it'd give them a concussion. Even if they took the legal route and decided not to renew when their contracts ended, Gary would (rightly) tell them all to go pound sand. Sponsoring an event does not equal answering to the sponsors on every issue.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The NHL should call AC's bluff and ask them if they want to terminate their agreement asap.... The NHL doesn't need corporate partners that are run by reactionary marketers . Good riddance.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Bull. This whole it-threatens-our-brand idea is total crap. Nobody is sitting at home, choosing which flight to take to Regina, and saying "Well clearly Air Canada is incapable of safely flying me to Regina, since they sponsor an event that occasionally gives people concussions". Any consumer that any business wants to deal with isn't stupid enough to try to connect the dots like that.

If all the Canadian sponsors told Bettman they would end their contacts if teams don't relocate to Canada, they'd find their arses in court for breach of contract so fast, it'd give them a concussion. Even if they took the legal route and decided not to renew when their contracts ended, Gary would (rightly) tell them all to go pound sand. Sponsoring an event does not equal answering to the sponsors on every issue.
I'd love to see a league like the NHL try and match up against the great and good of Canadian business in court. The litigation costs would be staggering - for the NHL.

Gary can tell them to all go pound sand. That's his right. Then he can go and tell his board of governors that Spirit Airlines is the new official airline of the NHL and they're paying 20% of what Air Canada paid for the same rights. And then he can get fired.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
The way I see it - the event (Chara's hit and the league's decision after) has a very bad image among a significant part of this company's clients. Regardless if it's justified or not. Bettman has made several moves recently that alienated a part of the Canadian hockey fans. I don't even want to discuss whether he was right or no - that's a fact.

As a sponsor that spends money on the product, you are entitled to question decisions that indirectly affect your own image and sales. AC did it in a public manner, to try and reap image profits and also dissociate from the NHL decision. Smart move from them if you ask me.

Whether it will have any other consequences beside some image boost is debatable. But, from my personal point of view, as someone who hates seeing good players getting hurt by vicious acts and the league doing nothing (this includes Crosby, Savard, Bergeron and Booth, just like Pacioretty recently) I will encourage through my letters all other sponsors to do the same as Air Canada.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
This is exactly the kind of stuff that keeps 6 teams in Canada. Why increase the headaches?

Where was Air Canada when Savard got destroyed by Cooke?

How did the Bertuzzi "arrest" turn out for Canada? Ted Green and Marty McSorley weren't American citizens.

Just saying of course.

Calling the government and swirling into national outrage every time a Canadian team player gets run legal or illegally is a crime in itself. The police dept. said it fielded a ton of calls. How embarrassing for Canadian hockey fans in general.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Air Canada does not react directly to Chara's hit - it reacts to the league's reaction to Chara's hit.

Worse acts than this one happened indeed but they were punished.
Bertuzzi was suspended by the league. Maki was sent down. Had the league given a 2-3 games suspension to Chara, there would be little to no reaction from anyone.

Also - calling the Habs a toilet seat team automatically makes your post 100% more credible.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
if players are getting injured by "clean" hits to the head, you need to redefine what clean is. Please, educate yourself on the effects of head trauma. No one signs up for that kind of "life" 20 years later.

If you can sit there and yell that it's just a game and that these players need to toughen up and everyone that hates head shots are pansies, you're akin to those sitting in the coliseum cheering on someone's death.

You can have a physical, hard-played game, without ruining someone's quality of life.

Based on this post, I assume you also support banning fighting. Is that correct?

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Air Canada hypocrites

As mentioned earlier, where was Air Canada when Savard's career was most likely ended by a blatant, intentional cheap shot, or when Richards nailed Booth, or when Jones boarded Bergeron etc.

Their favorite team is involved, gets treated the exact same way as every other team in the league, as they should be, and they react like spoiled children trying to bully their way into getting what they want.

If Chara played for Columbus and Pacioretty played for Nashville and this took place, you wouldn't hear from Air Canada or any politicians in Quebec. To say that they are concerned with the game is total hypocrisy. They're only concerned with their favorite team. End of story.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
I'm thinking that some posters may benefit from reading up on Air Canada before commenting.

"Air Canada (TSX: AC.A, AC.B) is the flag carrier and largest airline of Canada. The airline, founded in 1936, provides scheduled and charter air transport for passengers and cargo to 178 destinations worldwide. It is the world's ninth largest passenger airline by number of destinations, and the airline is a founding member of Star Alliance, an alliance of 26 member airlines formed in 1997.[4][5] Air Canada's largest hub is Toronto Pearson International Airport, located in Mississauga, Ontario, while its corporate headquarters are located in Montreal, Quebec.[6] The airline's parent company is the publicly traded firm ACE Aviation Holdings. Air Canada had passenger revenues of CA$9.7 billion in 2008.[7]"

Link

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
And kids get severely injured in the juniors, in NCAA hockey, in the NHL as well.

It is a violent game.

Let me ask you this, if Hal Gill puts the exact same hit on Patrice Bergeron....and Bergeron has the exact same injuries.....Air Canada doesn't do a darn thing..do they?

This has nothing to do with hockey, it has to do with Montreal fans feeling wronged. And it is hilarious that the people running a major airline are running their business based on that.

When kids get injured in the NCAA or the juniors there is usually official punishment from the leagues. Give me one example where the NCAA or Junior league did not condemn a similar gesture.

2 games suspension for Chara and nothing of this happens.

Air Canada is not reacting to Chara - they react to the league's reaction to Chara.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
As mentioned earlier, where was Air Canada when Savard's career was most likely ended by a blatant, intentional cheap shot, or when Richards nailed Booth, or when Jones boarded Bergeron etc.

Their favorite team is involved, gets treated the exact same way as every other team in the league, as they should be, and they react like spoiled children trying to bully their way into getting what they want.

If Chara played for Columbus and Pacioretty played for Nashville and this took place, you wouldn't hear from Air Canada or any politicians in Quebec. To say that they are concerned with the game is total hypocrisy. They're only concerned with their favorite team. End of story.

Jones was suspended. Cooke and Richards were cases where the league said that they would want to punish but they cannot because of the rules - and they changed the rules to this purpose. There was an official position that the NHL does not approve them.

In this case the league said it was ok to do this.

And Air Canada is a company that reacted to something that potentially damages their image and sales. They are not the NHL policeman or react out of ethical concerns - they merely want to protect their interests.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

All true, but at least they have a point and it's finally good to see someone with a little influence step up.
I don't care who it is for what team. Someone's arm put someones head into a corner. Even if the puck is on his stick, Chara's arm was raised and that's where the debate should've ended.
Again, you're right on Air Canada being hypocritical, but I'd like to see justice prevail FOR ONCE. I don't care how.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I hate Air Canada but I have to side with them on this. Whether or not the hit was 'innocent', as cynical as it is the only way the League is ever going to truly get off its ass and do something about this kind of stuff is when money is on the line.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
Air Canada is not a Montreal business. It is the 9th largest carrier in the world by destination. Their annual revenues at almost 10 billion are about 3X the NHL's.

I think a young man almost being killed in front of his parents followed by the league's apparent indifference was likely a tipping point for them. All of this in the context of an increasingly violent game which may or may not be an attempt to draw American media/fan interest.

The NHL is being irresponsible on this issue. Fehr has also spoken up.

Also consider the hit they are taking in the Phoenix fiasco, the Canadian expansion file, potential lock out or strike etc. In many ways they look very weak today with respect to their judgement. Especially in Canada. I'd have to wonder why any Canadian corp. would sponsor them these days aside from the compelling fact that most players are Canadian. Bettman can't manipulate that to any degree he wishes. There is a limit.

Air Canada reached theirs.

Last edited:

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Air Canada is not a Montreal business. It is the 9th largest carrier in the world by destination. Their annual revenues at almost 10 million are about 3X the NHL's.

I think a young man almost being killed in front of his parents followed by the league's apparent indifference was likely a tipping point for them. All of this in the context of an increasingly violent game which may or may not be an attempt to draw American media/fan interest.

The NHL is being irresponsible on this issue. Fehr has also spoken up.

Also consider the hit they are taking in the Phoenix fiasco, the Canadian expansion file, potential lock out or strike etc. In many ways they look very weak today with respect to their judgement. Especially in Canada. I'd have to wonder why any Canadian corp. would sponsor them these days aside from the compelling fact that most players are Canadian. Bettman can't manipulate that to any degree he wishes. There is a limit.

Air Canada reached theirs.

I think you meant to say that their revenues are at 10 Billion and not 10 Million.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Even if AC is out of line, even if they are dead wrong, they are allowed to have an opinion and they are allowed to let that opinion direct thier business decisions.

The fact that a longtime sponsor has come out publicly is surprising. This is a big deal. Big enough to lead somewhere. I think it's the sort of response that inspires followers and I think a cascade effect is possible. Surely this is enough to give pause to the league?

bleuet

Canadian politicians cannot take a stand on something happening outside their country or territory.

You think this is a good exemple for kids? I don't.

I am curious. Am I right or wrong if I say Bertuzzi have been charged on criminal assault in British Columbia? Asking, I am just not sure.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Even if AC is out of line, even if they are dead wrong, they are allowed to have an opinion and they are allowed to let that opinion direct thier business decisions.

The fact that a longtime sponsor has come out publicly is surprising. This is a big deal. Big enough to lead somewhere. I think it's the sort of response that inspires followers and I think a cascade effect is possible. Surely this is enough to give pause to the league?

They absolutely have that right. The NHL also has the right to discontinue Air Canada private charter service, which a number of teams use for travel. I wonder who spends more money with whom?

I think this is just smart marketing by Air Canada. If they pull out, they will get even more publicity than if they don't.

To mikelvl's point, what did Air Canada say publicly the day after Matt Cooke ran Columbus's Fedor Tyutin with a dangerous hit?

Where was Air Canada when Niklas Kronvall ended Duvie Westcott's career?

crickets???

bleuet

I've found this on Wikipedia

Steve Moore incident
Bertuzzi grabbing Moore's jersey before punching him.On February 16, 2004, during a game between Vancouver and Colorado, Avalanche center Steve Moore injured Canucks team captain Markus Näslund by checking him in the head area while Näslund was reaching for the puck ahead of him. Näslund, the league's leading scorer at the time, suffered a minor concussion and a bone chip in his elbow as a result of the hit, knocking him out of the lineup for three games. Referee Dan Marouelli did not call a penalty, ruling the hit legal, a judgement shared by the league upon further review after the game.[74]

Canucks head coach Marc Crawford publicly criticized the no-infraction call, claiming that Marouelli and his partner, Rob Martell, needed to show "respect" for the league's leading scorer. Vancouver general manager Brian Burke, the league's former chief disciplinarian, described the play as "a marginal player going after a superstar with a headhunting hit".[75] Several Canucks players were also vocal against Moore in the media. In particular, forward Brad May issued a "bounty", while Bertuzzi called him a "piece of ****."[76]

Näslund missed three games as a result of the hit and returned in time for the next game between the Canucks and Avalanche on March 3. With NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in attendance, the contest was played to a 5–5 tie without incident.[77] In a rematch five days later, however, the Canucks were more active in physically pursuing Moore. In one of four fights in the first period, Canucks forward Matt Cooke fought Moore six minutes into the game. At the first intermission, NHL executive vice-president Colin Campbell and director of officiating Andy van Hellemond placed a phone call to the two referees overseeing the game to discuss the potential for an escalation in physicality.[78] With Colorado leading 8–2 midway through the third period, Bertuzzi began following Moore down the ice, attempting to provoke him into another fight. With Moore ignoring him, Bertuzzi grabbed Moore's jersey from behind and punched him in the back of the head. Bertuzzi, as well as several other players from both teams, then landed atop Moore as he fell to the ice.[79] Canucks fans initially cheered at Bertuzzi's actions, but as it became apparent Moore was seriously injured, the stadium became silent.[78]

After lying on the ice for approximately 10 minutes, Moore was removed from the playing surface on a stretcher.[78] With eight minutes remaining in the third period, Avalanche general manager Pierre Lacroix reportedly asked referees to end the game. The contest was played out with the Avalanche winning 9–2.[80] Moore was taken to Vancouver General Hospital and later transferred to a Denver hospital,[81][82] where he was treated for three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a grade three concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial lacerations. He was also suffering from amnesia.[82] The incident ended Moore's hockey career.

Two days after the incident, Bertuzzi scheduled a press conference in which he wept and apologized to Moore and his family, as well as to Burke, Canucks owner John McCaw, Jr., the Canucks organization, his teammates, and the fans. He added, "For the kids that watch this game, I'm truly sorry. I don't play the game that way. And I'm not a mean-spirited person."[81]

In the end, the question is: Who sells NHL? Gretzky's, Lemieux's and Crosby's or Chara's, ??? and ???

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I'd love to see a league like the NHL try and match up against the great and good of Canadian business in court. The litigation costs would be staggering - for the NHL.

If Air Canada was to not honour their contract with the NHL (I'm not assuming that they want out of the contract today; I'd imagine that the worst case scenario is that they don't renew when the current contract ends), they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It don't matter how big a company is - if you breach your contract and it's clear, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Gary can tell them to all go pound sand. That's his right. Then he can go and tell his board of governors that Spirit Airlines is the new official airline of the NHL and they're paying 20% of what Air Canada paid for the same rights. And then he can get fired.

You really think the BOG is looking for any excuse to fire Gary? The fans hate him, but the BOG loves him. What if Air Canada was to say "We're not renewing unless you change the name of your league from "National Hockey League" to "Air Canada Hockey League", with the same result as what you posted (Air Canada cancels, Spirit Airlines is the new sponsor, and they pay one-fifth of Air Canada). Does Gary still get fired for not cowing down to the sponsors? Where's the line?

AC has every right to align its brand with anyone they want, but they have no right to tell the league to do things a certain way, lest they pull their sponsorship.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree with Air Canada. If the NHL isn't going to do it's job protecting players and lets the league turn into a sideshow then why would Air Canada want their brand associated with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad