Aimee Deziel... another one bites the dust

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess I'm still the old school guy who could care less about the marketing & in-house entertainment, I go to games to watch hockey not all the crappy nonsense between periods. Marketing is important although I do wonder how many tickets get sold due to marketing? IMO it's the players & the product on the ice that sells tickets to games & when they suck ticket sales plummet & no marketing genius can win them back until the product starts winning again. They do have a number of very good young players & prospects to market, but it's essentially useless until the product starts winning. We can see this with the Redblacks, now that they are struggling their tickets sales reflect that & they are no longer posting regular sellouts.

In sports it's all about winning, but I also understand that for some fans they like the in-house stuff like areas to talk & mingle. Most season ticket holders are older & stay in their seats during the game while casual fans like to mingle so they can talk about going to games with their friends & colleagues afterwards. Casual fans seem to want more of an enjoyable social experience while STH want a winning product on the ice. Most casual fans know less than a handful of players & only want to see the stars they know rather than a bunch of prospects they don't know. Of course, the team has to have a winning record in order to attract casual fans in the first place. IMO no amount of marketing is going to be able to reconcile what this owner has done to this franchise so it's no surprise this position is again vacant. However, if he can hold on long enough for this team to start winning again than we are in for a very long wait for him to sell.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I guess I'm still the old school guy who could care less about the marketing & in-house entertainment, I go to games to watch hockey not all the crappy nonsense between periods. Marketing is important although I do wonder how many tickets get sold due to marketing? IMO it's the players & the product on the ice that sells tickets to games & when they suck ticket sales plummet & no marketing genius can win them back until the product starts winning again. They do have a number of very good young players & prospects to market, but it's essentially useless until the product starts winning. We can see this with the Redblacks, now that they are struggling their tickets sales reflect that & they are no longer posting regular sellouts.

In sports it's all about winning, but I also understand that for some fans they like the in-house stuff like areas to talk & mingle. Most season ticket holders are older & stay in their seats during the game while casual fans like to mingle so they can talk about going to games with their friends & colleagues afterwards. Casual fans seem to want more of an enjoyable social experience while STH want a winning product on the ice. Most casual fans know less than a handful of players & only want to see the stars they know rather than a bunch of prospects they don't know. Of course, the team has to have a winning record in order to attract casual fans in the first place. IMO no amount of marketing is going to be able to reconcile what this owner has done to this franchise so it's no surprise this position is again vacant. However, if he can hold on long enough for this team to start winning again than we are in for a very long wait for him to sell.
Marketing is about outward perception, in-house entertainment, social media, etc are but tools. Increase the perception in a positive way and it will increase revenue (not just ticket sales). Marketing can only do some much when there are obviously realities against you in the media, like cutting expenses to the bone, no CEO, no President, no CMO, part time CFO, no COO, no AGM, etc

On the season ticket holders vs "casual fans" I'd argue the opposite. A large portion in fact probably most STH are corporates or small businesses looking for business expenses that they can write off. It's as much entertainment for them as anything and many of the STH that I know are some of the least knowledgeable hockey fans I have talked to. Just because you've watched 42 home games and have read the jersey names doesn't mean you know squat about the game.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

If you don't care about that stuff then you don't care about the team. Those elements support the team. We're not just playing shinny here, it is supposed to be a multi-faceted world class operation.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Getting the casuals excited about our prospects can help turn them into hard core fans.

And knowing when and where tickets are on sale, new promotions, and when the next home game is played are all useful for selling tickets. Half the time over the last three years I'd have to check HF, or flip through the back of the sports pages to find out when we play next. No one will buy tickets if you don't know there's a game!

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol all year everyone complains and complains about how piss poor “Melnyk” is at marketing.
The actual person in charge of that piss poor job is gone and people care?
Oyyy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lol all year everyone complains and complains about how piss poor “Melnyk” is at marketing.
Oyyy

Yes they care, because they want to see it Improve, and when people are quoting everywhere no one improves anything

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Oyyy
No one is lamenting the loss of Deziel as an andividual, trust me lol. More lamenting that this team doesn't have the assets in place to play with the big boys. [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Oyyy
Well, maybe people complain because in old Sens fashion bad performers will be replaced with NOTHING.
Our front office consists of a couple of people and the drunk from Barbados...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
general option on twitter seems like it did, given the circumstances. I would imagine that marketing/media is one the toughest place to be in the sens organization. There is only so much that you can do when the on ice product is garbage, and the fans have constantly been lied to.

Anyways, the bigger story is that another executive has left the organization after a short period.

Must have been let go due to poor ticket sales.
If I remember right, the 4Ps of Marketing require that you provide the right product at the right price in the right place and promoted right. We all know the product ain’t right, the location ain’t right, the price ain’t right and the promo can’t overcome all that other stuff that ain’t right!

Reactions: thinkwild

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There are two ways to market this team right now:

1. Sign Chabot to a long term extension
2. More importantly, win some hockey games.

Seriously, look at Carolina. They were in tougher shape than we are. Suddenly they made a run, did some fun things with it, and low and behold the season ticket sales boomed. Islanders are very similar - they started winning and all of a sudden their old fans started coming out of the woodwork.

I think there will be a bit of a lag here due to resentment towards the owner, but when this team starts winning again the fans will start showing up fairly shortly after. Winning fixes everything...

Are they the bunch of JERKS, that beloved Don “Hockey Fights” Cherry christened?

We have a couple of JERKS at the top of the org chart, so we are well on the way, I suppose. Just need fair Donny to pronounce it to all this September. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad