Aimee Deziel... another one bites the dust

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Interestingly... it seems they were hiring for quite a few positions over the last month. (Though some were contract only)

Not sure what really happened. Time will tell.

Some investigation finds that the recent media produced with the Senators prospects garnered a whopping 128 likes and less than a dozen shares on Twitter.

Maybe the boycotting the Senators inadvertently got her fired?

It is pretty sad to think there has been no discussion on the recent Royal Oak Pub media either.

I would say this definitely had an impact on her job. It costs money to make those videos.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Some investigation finds that the recent media produced with the Senators prospects garnered a whopping 128 likes and less than a dozen shares on Twitter.

It is pretty sad to think there has been no discussion on the recent Royal Oak Pub media either.

I would say this definitely had an impact on her job. It costs money to make those videos.

Whoever is in that position isn't gonna last long. It's like being a salesman at a Lada dealership.

Pretty hard to sell something that nobody wants to buy.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can't imagine being in charge of marketing for this team.

Likely a low budget to work with for one if every other area of the team is an indicaation. No established stars to market other than a very green Chabot and Tkachuk. The other important rebuild prospects mostly not mature enough or on the team to expect fans to care yet. Fresh off trading the fan favorites over money thus giving no faith that will change in the future for the rebuild. A fan base that is apathetic, angry, and distrustful of everything you say.

I can not imagine. You can't market the future when its not on your roster yet.

"Hey everyone, come watch our team of mostly over the hill cap casualties and kids not ready yet!"

I really think the messaging was a big part in the escalating vitriol and a better job of that through these past couple years could have helped it at least not turn so nuclear, but that's more on the other executives than the marketing exec.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I can't imagine being in charge of marketing for this team.

A fan base that is apathetic, angry, and distrustful of everything you say.

True, it is a no win situation.

How can you fix it with EM not going anywhere?

The end is nigh!

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

So you're saying its the fan's fault?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Whoever is in that position isn't gonna last long. It's like being a salesman at a Lada dealership.

Pretty hard to sell something that nobody wants to buy.

Hey......those lil buggers were damned good cars in the 1980s. Our family drove down to Florida and back in one of those things....and lived!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So Anselmi barely lasted a year.

Ditto Ruszkowski.

Ditto Deziel.

These were the high-profile hires. You can come up with individual excuses for each, that they were bad at their jobs, but then that just leads to more questions. Why are we hiring terrible people for these jobs? WHO is Hiring them? We have no real team president - Melnyk has famously been filling that role since Anselmi left - is he personally responsible for these hires? What is the criteria... are we hiring the budget candidates, and simply getting what we pay for (low quality employees for low-level pay)?

I mean... At a certain point, there is an undeniable trend here. Analyze it any way you want, but this cycle of one-and-done team execs is a significant issue, and potentially offers more actual evidence that hilights the internal turmoil in this franchise.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
At my job I consider anyone not employed there for at least 2-3 years to be “new”. If a person doesn’t last a year, I probably wouldn’t even have learned their name yet. I would certainly not consider them competent or up to speed on corporate knowledge or culture.
IMHO these people are leaving before they even have a clue how to do the job they’ve been hired to do or even learn how the corporation works.
High turnover like that does not bode well for an organization. You need employee engagement.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So Anselmi barely lasted a year.

Ditto Ruszkowski.

Ditto Deziel.

These were the high-profile hires. You can come up with individual excuses for each, that they were bad at their jobs, but then that just leads to more questions. Why are we hiring terrible people for these jobs? WHO is Hiring them? We have no real team president - Melnyk has famously been filling that role since Anselmi left - is he personally responsible for these hires? What is the criteria... are we hiring the budget candidates, and simply getting what we pay for (low quality employees for low-level pay)?

I mean... At a certain point, there is an undeniable trend here. Analyze it any way you want, but this cycle of one-and-done team execs is a significant issue, and potentially offers more actual evidence that hilights the internal turmoil in this franchise.

This is easily the biggest issue with the team. Forget about arena location, exchange rate, lack or corporate sponsorship or any of the other challenges that are commonly tossed around. If you dont have a front office equipped to mitigate and address those challenges, then of course you're f***ed.

We may hit lightning in a bottle with our prospects and go on some sort of "run", but nothing will ever truly improve in this market until a true, experienced front office is put in place, and given the resources to flourish.

Unfortunately, Eugene just continually proves that he's unwilling to do that, even when player salaries are cut to near historic lows. The fact he's not bolstering the front office in lieu of that is pathetic tbh. It just speaks to how clueless he is, how ignorant he is, or how broke he is.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is easily the biggest issue with the team. Forget about arena location, exchange rate, lack or corporate sponsorship or any of the other challenges that are commonly tossed around. If you dont have a front office equipped to mitigate and address those challenges, then of course you're ****ed.

We may hit lightning in a bottle with our prospects and go on some sort of "run", but nothing will ever truly improve in this market until a true, experienced front office is put in place, and given the resources to flourish.

Unfortunately, Eugene just continually proves that he's unwilling to do that, even when player salaries are cut to near historic lows. The fact he's not bolstering the front office in lieu of that is pathetic tbh. It just speaks to how clueless he is, how ignorant he is, or how broke he is.

It shows that he simply has no vision, and absolutely no idea how to run a sports franchise. The return on investment for having a good management team is huge in all facets of the organization. The fact that he's not willing, or simply can't, surround himself with a decent management team should be concerning for the future of the franchise. Even if he had the money, I'm convinced most if not all high profile guys would refuse to work for Melnyk.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It shows that he simply has no vision, and absolutely no idea how to run a sports franchise. The return on investment for having a good management team is huge in all facets of the organization. The fact that he's not willing, or simply can't, surround himself with a decent management team should be concerning for the future of the franchise. Even if he had the money, I'm convinced most if not all high profile guys would refuse to work for Melnyk.

No vision seems to be a lock given how this business and others of his are going / have gone.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The downside here is that, considering the trend of our front office hires and money issues, her replacement could actually be worse.

Obviously the hope is that we improve in this department as a result of this, but we'll see what happens I suppose.

I am not going to comment on the job she was doing, but another executive under Melnyk leaves... I do not care about the reason.. it just continues to look bad for the Sens . I think that is also part of the downside. She came in at the worst possible time to try to improve image and enthusiasm for the team.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are two ways to market this team right now:

1. Sign Chabot to a long term extension
2. More importantly, win some hockey games.

Seriously, look at Carolina. They were in tougher shape than we are. Suddenly they made a run, did some fun things with it, and low and behold the season ticket sales boomed. Islanders are very similar - they started winning and all of a sudden their old fans started coming out of the woodwork.

I think there will be a bit of a lag here due to resentment towards the owner, but when this team starts winning again the fans will start showing up fairly shortly after. Winning fixes everything...

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
There are two ways to market this team right now:

1. Sign Chabot to a long term extension
2. More importantly, win some hockey games.

Seriously, look at Carolina. They were in tougher shape than we are. Suddenly they made a run, did some fun things with it, and low and behold the season ticket sales boomed. Islanders are very similar - they started winning and all of a sudden their old fans started coming out of the woodwork.

I think there will be a bit of a lag here due to resentment towards the owner, but when this team starts winning again the fans will start showing up fairly shortly after. Winning fixes everything...

The most important and unequivocally the best way to increase ticket sales is for melnyk to sell. I cancelled my half-season tickets recently but as soon as that schmuck gets the f*** out of this town im all in for full season.

Reactions: armani

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad