Today I read that Brenden wanted Clifford re-signed. My question
is does Dubass want him back. And if not re-signed does that put
a wrench between Brenden and Kyle?

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Why wouldn't Dubas want him back? He traded for him. It will depend on the cost.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Shanahan, Maple Leafs 'certainly interested' in keeping Clifford - Sportsnet.ca

“The interest is mutual,” team president Brendan Shanahan said Thursday during an appearance on Hockey Central at Noon.

“He’s been fantastic for us,” Shanahan said. “I said a few weeks ago when we were back in L.A. and he was playing in L.A. for the first time since the trade, he’s made a tremendous difference to our group. I think he was just starting to get comfortable as well.”

Clifford had averaged 9:33 of ice-time in 16 games with the Maple Leafs prior to the NHL’s indefinite suspension due to COVID-19. Although he only has three points with Toronto, the Ayr, Ont., native has provided some needed grit, toughness and leadership.

“Especially when you play the role he does, you have to play it with your heart on your sleeve,” Shanahan said. “It rips the heart out of many guys when they get traded. From my experience it’s even more so for guys that play physically and that take on the responsibility of sort of the team big brother, so I think he was really just starting to get comfortable and starting to find his voice in that dressing room.”

The 29-year-old’s salary cap hit has been $1.6 million annually since signing a five-year contract with the Kings in 2015. The Kings retained 50 per cent of his remaining 2019-20 salary as part of the trade.

“Anybody I talked to [in the Kings organization] they talk about how he holds people accountable,” Shanahan added. “That’s not something you come in in your first week or two into a new dressing room and start doing that, so I love hearing he’s interested. We’re certainly interested as well. He’s been fantastic and just a great person.”

Maple Leafs' Brendan Shanahan: We're all still trying to figure it out

March 26, 2020

https://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dem...rne-and-Brian-Burke-hc-20200326-Interview.mp3

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
A blatant false and tired narrative.... this is the guy who has traded for Hyman, Muzzin and Clifford... he wants guys who can play hockey first.
This is true, but that is a very small sample.I dont even remember when we got Hyman, but it seems it was so long ago .. almost before Dubas (or at least when Babcock was helping him). He also bought an army of midgets like Malgin. The problem is Marner .. Tavares .. they dont play with heart.. no grit, no hits... it seems Marner is more concerned with his paycheck than actually winning the Cup. Tavares seems like he wants to win, but he is just too washed up now most nights. He shines like 1 in 5 games for 11M. Look at Boston - they show up every game day. Even the players said they are not motivated when they play with weaker teams ... :(

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This is true, but that is a very small sample.I dont even remember when we got Hyman, but it seems it was so long ago .. almost before Dubas (or at least when Babcock was helping him). He also bought an army of midgets like Malgin. The problem is Marner .. Tavares .. they dont play with heart.. no grit, no hits... it seems Marner is more concerned with his paycheck than actually winning the Cup. Tavares seems like he wants to win, but he is just too washed up now most nights. He shines like 1 in 5 games for 11M. Look at Boston - they show up every game day. Even the players said they are not motivated when they play with weaker teams ... :(

There is a VERY VERY large difference in playing with heart and playing with grit.
Can't say Tavares or Marner lack heart. Sorry. This is totally incorrect.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why would Clifford sign a shit contract with Toronto when he could sign a good contract with someone else?

Exactly. I did proposed a Clifford trade over a year ago and most LA fans didn't want it. They liked what he brought and I think Dubas likes him too.

I think a Clifford signing at a reasonable rate will prove once and for all that:

1. The NHL is not changing in the way many fans thought it would.
2. That Dubas has changed his tune about team toughness.
3. That the refs are still putting their whistles away near the end of the regular season and the playoffs.
4. That Dubas values toughness enough to re-sign Clifford and live with the 2nd round pick.

There is no shame in that trade with LA. He Acquired a solid backup goalie and a stop gap if Andersen wants a huge raise, and a tough NHLer that's gives more to a team than what a stat sheet can prove.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Come on. This is so cynical. You're generalizing Marner's short career (as a hockey mercenary), and ignoring Tavares' career as though he's never been part of the Olympics, World Cup, or World Championship. On a down year Tavares was still going to likely achieve 30 plus goals and over 70 points. Is he really lacking compete and heart?

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This one I don’t think I will like. They are suggesting 3x2 ish......

I can’t see spending that on a 10 min player

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You are stuck with Marincin, he is cheap... and you hope that Liljegren is ready before the season ends... not the bone crushing guy you want, but he ends up being a good player for us LT.
Lily is already much better then Marincin. That guy is a turnover machine when pressured and has ZERO physical game to stop da cycle. A complete waste of time. I can't understand everyone who says his analytics are OK. Watch da game he absolutely sucks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I h

I Hope you realize the league is flushing out mid career players at a record pace , more and more draft picks are moving straight into the league and younger players are getting bigger deals forcing the middle and lower paid players down hard . Clifford was a great throw in but re-signing him ups the ante on the draft pick when we can get 3 more of him at league minimum or even off the waiver wire without changing the pick .
To me when Matty and Kappy can feel free to play a physical game then it says everything I need to know. But we can't get a stiff who can't skate. Clifford can skate and forecheck. and he can play on a 3rd or 4th line today. and he is a vet leader. and he is good friends with Muzzy. he is a perfect fit. You may feel guys like him are a dime a dozen but truth is they aren't as Shanny explained in his presser yesterday. Character guys are so so difficult to come by. Especially guys who can fit in.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
To me when Matty and Kappy can feel free to play a physical game then it says everything I need to know. But we can't get a stiff who can't skate. Clifford can skate and forecheck. and he can play on a 3rd or 4th line today. and he is a vet leader. and he is good friends with Muzzy. he is a perfect fit. You may feel guys like him are a dime a dozen but truth is they aren't as Shanny explained in his presser yesterday. Character guys are so so difficult to come by. Especially guys who can fit in.
Agreed, but you will be called a relic for not going by spreadsheets only.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Except he's not that great a skater and his hands are terrible , he's 29 years old and played all 11 years of his pro career on the 4th line , he's never cracked a top 9 let alone a top 6 slot and thers zero chance of him ever getting any better . Better guys than him are a dime a dozen , we could have had Kovalchuk twice this year for nothing signed at league minimum but passed , just because our mangement team and your expert eyes don't see these guys doesn't mean they aren't out there and if you think Clifford is fit to even carry Kovi's jock strap then theres really no point discussing anything with you , you'll just drag me down to your level and beat me with experience . We unfortunatley will probably re-sign this pylon not because of any perceived ability on his part but rather because he was Dumbas's first client as an agent . 61 goals 132 points in the NHL over an 11 year career ! yeah thats the guy we should piss away picks and cap to re-sign riiiiiiight .

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
etter guys than him are a dime a dozen , we could have had Kovalchuk twice this year for nothing signed at league minimum but passed , just because our mangement team and your expert eyes don't see these guys doesn't mean they aren't out there and if you think Clifford is fit to even carry Kovi's jock strap then theres really no point discussing anything with you

Seriously? Clifford brings a certain skill-set to this team that is hard to find in today's NHL. Toughness, grit, he can hit, skate and contribute positively. He's versatile too. Those aren't dime a dozen players

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Who cares what Brenden thinks, it's what Brendan thinks that's important. Kyle Dubas likely concurs with Brendan, and, is not likely concerned with what Brenden thinks. ;)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Except he's not that great a skater and his hands are terrible , he's 29 years old and played all 11 years of his pro career on the 4th line , he's never cracked a top 9 let alone a top 6 slot and thers zero chance of him ever getting any better . Better guys than him are a dime a dozen , we could have had Kovalchuk twice this year for nothing signed at league minimum but passed , just because our mangement team and your expert eyes don't see these guys doesn't mean they aren't out there and if you think Clifford is fit to even carry Kovi's jock strap then theres really no point discussing anything with you , you'll just drag me down to your level and beat me with experience . We unfortunately will probably re-sign this pylon not because of any perceived ability on his part but rather because he was Dumbas's first client as an agent . 61 goals 132 points in the NHL over an 11 year career ! yeah thats the guy we should piss away picks and cap to re-sign riiiiiiight .
We don't need any more skater boys with hands. We have plenty of them. Hockey requires the correct match of skills. D partners need to be a match. Forward lines need to be a match. Too many people just look at analytics alone on a per player basis. Well that is a recipe for disaster in hockey. It has worked for successful Stanley Cup teams for many years. Shutt played with Guy. Gilles played with bossy. Tik played with Kurri. Wilson plays with Ovi. Hyman plays with Marner/Willy it does not matter.
What too many people forgot is you need guys who can get pucks from the other team. And best way to do it is on the forecheck. And you need guys who can play a shift without other team taking da play to you for entire shift. Most of game the shifts are pretty simple. Don't let your guy get behind you to beat you.
Our biggest 3 issues on Leafs are sustaining pressure in others teams end AND getting cycled continuously in our end AND our PK is horrific. Clifford and Hyman and an aggressive Matty and Kappy seem to be creating some forecheck although we need another guy or two to assist. Outside Muzzy we can't stop a cycle. So we need another vet guy or two who can assist. and Mitch although we all love him is not da correct guy for our PK. we need more than just Hyman. this is where we missed Brown most. but we need another guy to help out.
Bottom line a TEAM needs to be created which gives us da right pieces to deal with our shortfalls.
Clifford contributes on 4th line on forecheck and also gives others on our team an ability to get more aggressive because they don't worry about Wilson running around and beating on people. Now Tom knows ok if i whack Matty then Muzzy is going to jump me and Muzzy knows if he gets beat that Clifford is his backup. and ultimately no one really wants to get hit with a right hook from either. so it does police da game. We are much better off as a team with Clifford. It was obvious the first day he took da ice. Cheap shots on our guys STOPPED immediately.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If that is the proposed ask by Clifford's agent then maybe KD will meet somewhere in the middle: 2 x 1.4?

some guy on Twitter dicklund (legit) was saying the deal would be 3 x “almost 2”. That seems way too steep for Clifford. 9 min a night. That’s 1 mill or less territory. Especially with a potential flat cap.

would be nuts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Except he's not that great a skater and his hands are terrible , he's 29 years old and played all 11 years of his pro career on the 4th line , he's never cracked a top 9 let alone a top 6 slot and thers zero chance of him ever getting any better . Better guys than him are a dime a dozen , we could have had Kovalchuk twice this year for nothing signed at league minimum but passed , just because our mangement team and your expert eyes don't see these guys doesn't mean they aren't out there and if you think Clifford is fit to even carry Kovi's jock strap then theres really no point discussing anything with you , you'll just drag me down to your level and beat me with experience . We unfortunatley will probably re-sign this pylon not because of any perceived ability on his part but rather because he was Dumbas's first client as an agent . 61 goals 132 points in the NHL over an 11 year career ! yeah thats the guy we should piss away picks and cap to re-sign riiiiiiight .
Takes all kinds of players to make up a Team. Leafs have a solid top 6, they don't need to add players that can play top 6.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why would Clifford sign a shit contract with Toronto when he could sign a good contract with someone else?
Close to home and family and his buddy Muzzy and their wives ... the gig is up in LA they are breaking it up ... wait to see if the third amigo comes from LA but he will likely be too expensive on our CAP ... but you never know AJ, Rielly and a Bracco who knows it is not beyond realm of possibility but I still don't think it is wise ... then we have to win Cup in 2-3 years

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Come on. This is so cynical. You're generalizing Marner's short career (as a hockey mercenary), and ignoring Tavares' career as though he's never been part of the Olympics, World Cup, or World Championship. On a down year Tavares was still going to likely achieve 30 plus goals and over 70 points. Is he really lacking compete and heart?
You are right! I am sorry my friend, I am just frustrated and no hockey doesn’t help! :(

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad