Agent: Leafs, Clifford mutually interested in extension

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leafs: If you play for 700k and come with a free 2nd round pick we'll sign you

Probably.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Cap ceiling number is not known. But regardless, even if was $84 - 85 m like it was speculated before the COVID-19 pandemic, I have a hard time seeing how we'd sign Clifford unless he's playing for the league minimum, or darn close.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm fine with a modest signing assuming we cannot find a superior player of the same ilk. If I recall he is local (like half our team now?) and that is always nice but he has to be cheap.

Reactions: Keon1963

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
I remember this one game, this guy was standing near the goal line along the side boards and was slapping his stick on the ice begging for a pass for a super sharp angle shot...

I was so confused...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Agent: Leafs, Clifford mutually interested in extension

While we need this type of player(s) and he should come relatively cheap. Not sure hes really impressed me.
Thoughts?

I would agree, I'm not sure what he does, except for Spezza no one in the bottoms 6 has IMO done anything to make a difference.

I do hope we see a playoffs this year, a rested young Leaf team who hasn't had the sideshow of the media for a month, will be dynamic and energized to go. A rested Freddie, injuries have had a time to heal. I'm pumped about the chance to see these guys in a shortend end to the season.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'd hope they are talking. If he's willing to take a good deal, taking a 30 spot hit in the draft won't be terrible.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I think this would be a good move for the team as he brings some grit and passion. He will not be expected to score as that is not why LA or Toronto valued him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
A million or less ideally.

The guy's going to be walking a fine line between being useful and replaceable the rest of his career.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I only want the Cliffords of the world signed.
I only want the Nylanders of the world traded.
How can we trade Nylander to make room for Clifford?

:sarcasm:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd say give him 4 years at 1m, 300k sb and an NTC. He could get more money elsewhere, but not likely the security and legacy. Retire in the Leafs organization. Hopefully he'd be on board with year 4 and maybe 3 being a marlies year as a Clune type (but better) player/coach.

I could see the expansion draft causing him some fear with that kind of deal but we're likely going to be exposing someone better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad