Agent: Leafs, Clifford mutually interested in extension

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good analysis well done. Looks like Dubie needs to get a little better deals from Mik Dermy and Clifford. Not a lot but a little from each. Hopefully he has this skill set in him. If we keep having to pay everyone market or better we are dead. Also Marty and Malgin have to go and we need to add a tougher bottom pair type defender too. Go with a 21 man roster of we have too.

When I added Malgin in... it was just a guy with a minimum cap hit... It doesn't matter who they are IMO, when doing an analysis... This is more about the challenges with the math... I mean, exchange all of these minimum cap hit guys you want, and it doesn't change that our cap is tight, and our D isn't good enough.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When I added Malgin in... it was just a guy with a minimum cap hit... It doesn't matter who they are IMO, when doing an analysis... This is more about the challenges with the math... I mean, exchange all of these minimum cap hit guys you want, and it doesn't change that our cap is tight, and our D isn't good enough.
It was always going to be tough every year on CAP for next 2 seasons until US TV $$$ rolls in after da big 4 got signed ... save a MIL from Dermy Mik and Clifford, cut Marty outright we are at 1.7M per savings. Go with 21 man roster and use 1.7M to sign a vet defensive defender who can protect da house. Use 750K on Malgin for Martin for 1 year. There are ways to do it but again Dubie can't be MR NICE GUY with everyone.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Thats a whole lot of math to avoid the only real questions : Would you give a second for Clifford ? would you take a second for Clifford ?
I bet everyone answers NFW to question 1 and Heck yes to question 2 so knowing that resigning him costs us a second why are we even considering signing this plug at any price ? I'm totally in favour of manning up our lineup but you need to do that with skilled guys who are tough as nails, let the free cast off be free again for someone else .

Reactions: Fogelhund

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
AJ is replaceable. Yes he can score. But defensively he is weak. and he can't stay on his feet when hit. If we didn't have Mik Willy Mitch then I would keep him but he does not serve a team need except scoring. Also yes he can fit here and there in a top 6 but he is not a top 6 player. I'd rather have Sissons.

Same with Kappy TBH. I like Kappy because his speed changes games for us. It is always good to have one of top 5 fastest guys in league on your team and when he starts to hit and fight well that's it for me he is on my team all day and all night. His real issue is his hockey IQ as he has trouble fitting into lines. But on 3rd line he can create on his own. Which is a great skill to have.

I would keep Kappy over lots of different options on the team and off the team. Certainly there aren’t many players available that bring the mix he does for his cap hit. He’s cap efficiency in that regard.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thats a whole lot of math to avoid the only real questions : Would you give a second for Clifford ? would you take a second for Clifford ?
I bet everyone answers NFW to question 1 and Heck yes to question 2 so knowing that resigning him costs us a second why are we even considering signing this plug at any price ? I'm totally in favour of manning up our lineup but you need to do that with skilled guys who are tough as nails, let the free cast off be free again for someone else .
I hope you realize Clifford is a top end 2nd rounder himself. And he can skate. And he can play on anyone's 4th line. At a MIL per he is very good value. On top of that he brings intangibles. No one f*cked with us after he came here. Between 3 amigos with Muzzy, Clifford and Drew. Who knows maybe we get Doughty too.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They couldn’t afford Tavares,Willy,Matthews and Marner either.
Thats different because they always could afford all of them, people just wished they couldnt.

But theres no way it makes sense for the Leafs to pay a 4th liner over a million dollars..

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thats different because they always could afford all of them, people just wished they couldnt.

But theres no way it makes sense for the Leafs to pay a 4th liner over a million dollars..
So Engvall should go too then

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Book it. Clifford is staying. The only reason it in't announced is because no one knows what CAP is yet. Listen to Shanny. It is fete accompli.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hope you realize Clifford is a top end 2nd rounder himself. And he can skate. And he can play on anyone's 4th line. At a MIL per he is very good value. On top of that he brings intangibles. No one f*cked with us after he came here. Between 3 amigos with Muzzy, Clifford and Drew. Who knows maybe we get Doughty too.

Kind of ugly on the forwards side now... Marner/Dermott for Doughty/Akil Thomas.

Ok, your guy Sissons got stuck on a line with Bracco and Robertson, so he better be able to man up with the smurfs on his line, and play D. Meanwhile, we throw two rookies out there, one who can pass like no tomorrow, and one who can shoot like no tomorrow.

ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES
q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,081,842$0$132,500$418,158
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Delete Signed PlayerBuyoutAdd to Trade
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$2,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Robertson, Nicholas
$850,000
LW
RFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Sissons, Colton
$2,857,143
RW, C
UFA - 6
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Bracco, Jeremy
$900,000
RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,500,000
LW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$800,000
C, RW
UFA
los_angeles_kings.svg

Thomas, Akil
$809,166
C
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
los_angeles_kings.svg

Doughty, Drew
$11,000,000
D
NMC
UFA - 7
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marincin, Martin
$700,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kind of ugly on the forwards side now... Marner/Dermott for Doughty/Akil Thomas.

Ok, your guy Sissons got stuck on a line with Bracco and Robertson, so he better be able to man up with the smurfs on his line, and play D. Meanwhile, we throw two rookies out there, one who can pass like no tomorrow, and one who can shoot like no tomorrow.

q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,081,842$0$132,500$418,158
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$2,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Robertson, Nicholas
$850,000
LW
RFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Sissons, Colton
$2,857,143
RW, C
UFA - 6
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Bracco, Jeremy
$900,000
RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,500,000
LW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$800,000
C, RW
UFA
los_angeles_kings.svg

Thomas, Akil
$809,166
C
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
los_angeles_kings.svg

Doughty, Drew
$11,000,000
D
NMC
UFA - 7
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marincin, Martin
$700,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To me that is a better lineup less Marincin please. At least we will have a top end defense for next 2 years. Then of course we better win 2 Cups because next few years we are old.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To me that is a better lineup less Marincin please. At least we will have a top end defense for next 2 years. Then of course we better win 2 Cups because next few years we are old.

You are stuck with Marincin, he is cheap... and you hope that Liljegren is ready before the season ends... not the bone crushing guy you want, but he ends up being a good player for us LT.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Clifford's ok. Definitely the kind of player we a couple more of, but I would also assume there's a good supply of these tough role players with size from Ontario we can convince to come home at a cheap price.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Even trading Johnsson for draft picks, and Kerfoot for Sissons... keeping Clifford at $1.5 mil... still over the cap, and still no improvement on D. It's going to be tricky, if the cap goes down, or stays the same... without some sort of concessions, or overage allowance.

q2.svg
BONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,665,676$0$0-$165,676
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Mikheyev, Ilya
$2,500,000
LW, RW
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Nylander, William
$6,962,366
RW, LW
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Clifford, Kyle
$1,500,000
LW
UFA
nashville_predators.svg

Sissons, Colton
$2,857,143
RW, C
UFA - 6
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Spezza, Jason
$800,000
C, RW
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Gauthier, Frédérik
$750,000
C
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Malgin, Denis
$750,000
RW, C
RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Dermott, Travis
$2,500,000
D
RFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marincin, Martin
$700,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That would be the day i keep Malgin over Clifford. Bye malgin,by Marincin

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I h
I Hope you realize the league is spitting out mid career players at a record pace , more and more draft picks are moving straight into the league and younger players are getting bigger deals forcing the middle and lower paid players down hard . Clifford was a great throw in but signing him ups the ante on the draft pick when we can get 3 more of him at league minimum or even off the waiver wire without changing the pick .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I h
I Hope you realize the league is flushing out mid career players at a record pace , more and more draft picks are moving straight into the league and younger players are getting bigger deals forcing the middle and lower paid players down hard . Clifford was a great throw in but re-signing him ups the ante on the draft pick when we can get 3 more of him at league minimum or even off the waiver wire without changing the pick .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I h
I Hope you realize the league is flushing out mid career players at a record pace , more and more draft picks are moving straight into the league and younger players are getting bigger deals forcing the middle and lower paid players down hard . Clifford was a great throw in but re-signing him ups the ante on the draft pick when we can get 3 more of him at league minimum or even off the waiver wire without changing the pick .

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
The only thing I saw in his game is passion ... really wonder how much Dubas is willing to pay for passion according to his Excel sheets. So far he doesn't really value grit, heart and passion.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That would be the day i keep Malgin over Clifford. Bye malgin,by Marincin

If you'd read what I had written previously, Malgin is just a name... and it's not relevant what name you put there. It's some minimum salary guy. It's not a choice of Marincin or Malgin... if they are gone, they get replaced with guys who are either minimum salary, or more. Not having Clifford is not about choosing other people over him, it's about whether we can afford Clifford at what is likely $1.6 plus, for a fourth liner...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If you'd read what I had written previously, Malgin is just a name... and it's not relevant what name you put there. It's some minimum salary guy. It's not a choice of Marincin or Malgin... if they are gone, they get replaced with guys who are either minimum salary, or more. Not having Clifford is not about choosing other people over him, it's about whether we can afford Clifford at what is likely $1.6 plus, for a fourth liner...
Thats a 23 man roster too with no mention of emergency callup rules etc. If the cap goes down there will be allowances initiated to prevent hardship to all teams. Floor or budget teams are few and far between. Most are right up against it.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The only thing I saw in his game is passion ... really wonder how much Dubas is willing to pay for passion according to his Excel sheets. So far he doesn't really value grit, heart and passion.

A blatant false and tired narrative.... this is the guy who has traded for Hyman, Muzzin and Clifford... he wants guys who can play hockey first.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad