Affiliates VIII: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kevin Stenlund is 22 and in his first full professional season. He also made his NHL debut this year. Maybe his second half of the season wasn't good and the fact he's not playing now is concerning, but lets not jump to conclusions and bust the kid now.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Stenlund has some tools but really has a lot of work to do. He has to get better defensively, should be physical for a guy his size, and he has to get better with the puck. He gets it taken away fairly easily. I have compared him to McInnis before and he isn't as good as him. Better goal scorer, but all around player McInnis has played better. Stenlund needs to insert himself in the play more and fight for and win puck battles. Actually for a bigger guy he seems to get knocked around a bit. As far as playing on an NHL power play right now, he needs to play better on an AHL power play first. If he is that good, the Monsters power play wouldn't be so awful. Desalvo is playing in the playoffs over him is because he brings more speed and is more willing to go to the dirty areas and play defensively. He may have been a -15 in the regular season, but Stenlund was -17. In the playoffs Desalvo is a +3 and with 2 points and Stenlund is a zero plus/minus and one point. After watching Stenlund all year it is really no surprise he is having a hard time breaking the lineup. I hope he improves because he can be a good player, but he has a ways to go.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
. As far as playing on an NHL power play right now, he needs to play better on an AHL power play first. If he is that good, the Monsters power play wouldn't be so awful. Desalvo is playing in the playoffs over him is because he brings more speed and is more willing to go to the dirty areas and play defensively. He may have been a -15 in the regular season, but Stenlund was -17.

OK, OK, OK.

Love me some actual insight, along with the full stats.

Do Carlsson now.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Its funny you mention Carlsson because I got to talk to him at tip a monster because he was the player who sat at our table. I thought he was real nice guy. They were still fighting for a playoff spot and he was telling us how they knew how many games they had to win to make it and their focus was all on that. Its funny because that is about the time they really started playing better. At the beginning of the year I thought he was kind of slow and it seemed he struggled clearing the puck. I think as the season wore on all the defencemen seemed to struggle except Clendenning. The last 2 months though the defense has been really good which made the goaltending better. I think I was wrong about Carlsson being slow.It might have been a positioning thing more than being slow. He always seemed to be a little behind or a little late. Lately though, he always seems to be in the right spot. Offensively I think anything out of him is a bonus. He isn't a guy who is going to consistantly bring the puck up. He does on occasion but not much. He still needs a little more development which is probably why Columbus took Clendenning over him.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Its funny you mention Carlsson because I got to talk to him at tip a monster because he was the player who sat at our table. I thought he was real nice guy. They were still fighting for a playoff spot and he was telling us how they knew how many games they had to win to make it and their focus was all on that. Its funny because that is about the time they really started playing better. At the beginning of the year I thought he was kind of slow and it seemed he struggled clearing the puck. I think as the season wore on all the defencemen seemed to struggle except Clendenning. The last 2 months though the defense has been really good which made the goaltending better. I think I was wrong about Carlsson being slow.It might have been a positioning thing more than being slow. He always seemed to be a little behind or a little late. Lately though, he always seems to be in the right spot. Offensively I think anything out of him is a bonus. He isn't a guy who is going to consistantly bring the puck up. He does on occasion but not much. He still needs a little more development which is probably why Columbus took Clendenning over him.
Thanks for the insight on both Stenlund and Carlsson.

As for Stenlund, this is good insight the stats sheet doesn't tell. I am rooting for the kid but just seems like he hasn't progressed yet. As I alluded to in my previous post, the lightbulb needs to go on next year. BTW, I would never call a guy drafted at the end of the second round a bust...being an NHL player from where he was drafted is far from a guarantee. Not many guys drafted after him (within 20 spots has done anything yet except Anthony Cirelli for Tampa).

As for Carlsson, looking back it is amazing how we inserted him into an NHL playoff series when he was completely unprepared for it and now has spent the next two seasons in Cleveland. Was that a Torts or Jarmo decision?

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I see Monsters released one goalie and signed another to a PTO. Thiessen better stay healthy for the rest of the playoffs because these guys they are bringing in don't even seem to have .500 records or .900 save percentages in the ECHL. I know Kivlenieks sucks but this is ridiculous.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I see Monsters released one goalie and signed another to a PTO. Thiessen better stay healthy for the rest of the playoffs because these guys they are bringing in don't even seem to have .500 records or .900 save percentages in the ECHL. I know Kivlenieks sucks but this is ridiculous.
It's normal for an ahl team in playoff to carry 3 goalie don't read too much into it

pled

Sep 7, 2009
they are in toronto with 3 goalies 8 defensemans(including Cockerill), 17 forwards(excluding TFW)

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
TFW FTW! WTF?
pretty sure he won't play tonight but I hope he can surprise in practice and get a game. they have 19 healthy forward with the team right now so that's hard.

Gallant, Koroslev, Stenlund, Koules, Bittner, Vigneault, Thurkauf and TFW fighting for 2 spot.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If he works his way in at some point and puts up some of what he did for the oil kings, that could be good. The way the monsters have been playing though I am happy with what they have. Only a better backup goalie would be nice. I like Kiv but he is overmatched in the ahl.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
22 is still young for a goalie I'd say he still have a chance but if Tarasov and/or Veini come over it will be hard. I asume thiessen stay for sure. sometimes he was even coaching during practice so I guess he will never leave Cleveland and he still have some steam in him before full goalie coach transition.

and TFW is so hard working he definitely has a shot at playing next game.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Koules is gone. Mutually agreed to end contract. Thiessen has basically been a goalie coach all year until kiv was sent down and then berube got hurt. He has really played well and according to Madden the players seem to play harder for him. Don't know why, maybe a respect thing. Kiv was only supposed to be in college still, he was set to go to Minnesota I think and then Columbus offered him a contract so he took it. He made a huge jump from the ushl to the ahl. He has had some good games, but when he is bad, he is really bad.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Koules is gone. Mutually agreed to end contract. Thiessen has basically been a goalie coach all year until kiv was sent down and then berube got hurt. He has really played well and according to Madden the players seem to play harder for him. Don't know why, maybe a respect thing. Kiv was only supposed to be in college still, he was set to go to Minnesota I think and then Columbus offered him a contract so he took it. He made a huge jump from the ushl to the ahl. He has had some good games, but when he is bad, he is really bad.
they end contract during playoff ? he was there last week. and yeah give got up and down. very few player if any make ahl from ushl. Girgensons did too maybe its a latvia thing :sarcasm:

tonight lines:

McInnis Dalpe Foudy
Broadhurst Barach Stenlund
Milano Letestu DeSalvo
Bittner Scoot Sherwood

Cross Cockerill
Somerby Collins
Carlsson Simpson

Thiessen

Stenlund back in for Korostelev and Cockerill healthy too so in for Wade.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The Monsters power play is so bad I wish they could decline the penalties. 1 for 16 is awful.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
the marliest scored but Letestu put the team back in the lead.

2 other penalty and Toronto score on both

they need to get their stuff together. no more penalty and need to drive to the net more

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
They are looking like the monsters from the middle of the season. Undisiplined, bad penalties, bad puck clearing, and bad play in defensive zone. Not looking good.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Letestu was also on the ice for the 6th goal :help: 3 pp goal in less than 4 min change a game around

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That was a terrible second period. Unfortunately the monsters need to limit their mistakes. The PK was just bad. This is a team that has to stay out of the box and keep their heads in the game. They didn't do that in the 2nd and it cost them big time. They need to be better in game 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad