Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Winning cures everything.
This is also true. Hopefully with some new faces and new coaching the attitudes can change a bit. I think starting the season well will be critical. Starting off with a winning streak or at least being over .500 in the first 10-20 games will probably have a big effect on the psyche of the players and team as a whole.

EDIT: Also solid avatar. Radiohead FTW

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pretty delicious that we have a new head coach calling out Larsson on his play with the Oilers last season and very significantly noting that his paid play with the Edmonton Oilers was not nearly on par with his unpaid pay with Sweden.

Ballsy but very clear directive there. I'm all for this and that it signifies no excuses,no looking the other way, and that players that are expected to be top players on this team will immediately be called out if they are not.

lol about Larsson admitting to be heavier than he wanted to be last season and this perhaps impacting his speed.

You'll learn that in Tippet world there are no excuses. Come to play or gtfo. This seems pretty consistent with McD world too.

While Larsson is laughing this off this was a pretty big shot across the bow from a headcoach that has already indicated he's not playing Larsson with Klef as a pairing.

Looks like comfort zones are being removed.

Solid.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
This is also true. Hopefully with some new faces and new coaching the attitudes can change a bit. I think starting the season well will be critical. Starting off with a winning streak or at least being over .500 in the first 10-20 games will probably have a big effect on the psyche of the players and team as a whole.

EDIT: Also solid avatar. Radiohead FTW

Man, if they can stay at a point per game pace in the standings through Remembrance Day, they’ll be well on their way to enjoying the season.

Reactions: cpsman

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Pretty delicious that we have a new head coach calling out Larsson on his play with the Oilers last season and very significantly noting that his paid play with the Edmonton Oilers was not nearly on par with his unpaid pay with Sweden.

Ballsy but very clear directive there. I'm all for this and that it signifies no excuses,no looking the other way, and that players that are expected to be top players on this team will immediately be called out if they are not.

lol about Larsson admitting to be heavier than he wanted to be last season and this perhaps impacting his speed.

You'll learn that in Tippet world there are no excuses. Come to play or gtfo.
This seems pretty consistent with McD world too.

While Larsson is laughing this off this was a pretty big shot across the bow from a headcoach that has already indicated he's not playing Larsson with Klef as a pairing.

Solid.

The guy had his father pass away at the age of 50 last year. I'm pretty sure that would have a pretty big impact on him last offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if he had other personal / family focus during that time rather than his conditioning. Don't want to speculate one way or another, just saying that the guy had a pretty unfortunate personal event that would have a major impact on anyone in that situation.
It's been a year, and it's a good sign how he's come in to training camp. I'd say let's forget about last year and just focus on the positive of how he's starting this year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The guy had his father pass away at the age of 50 last year. I'm pretty sure that would have a pretty big impact on him last offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if he had other personal / family focus during that time rather than his conditioning. Don't want to speculate one way or another, just saying that the guy had a pretty unfortunate personal event that would have a major impact on anyone in that situation.
It's been a year, and it's a good sign how he's come in to training camp. I'd say let's forget about last year and just focus on the positive of how he's starting this year.
Hopefully he has learned to cope with it.

But the last 2 years he's looked alot better at the worlds than he does with the oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

To be clear Larssons dad died early in 2018. Lucics dad died years ago. We were hearing these as near constant explanations for players substandard play. Regardless the actual reason for their substandard play. I'll give a mulligan on one season. But not multiples. I just won't, and Tippet has been that way. The guy always gets the most out of whatever players he has.

Trouble with Larsson is the comments and exchange @harpoon was referring to was in May 2018. The thing is Larsson has been a substandard player here not only that season but additionally LAST season.

Anyway its really positive Tippet is on the beat and calling names. Not too shy that guy.

Credit

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
To be clear Larssons dad died early in 2018. Lucics dad died years ago. We were hearing these as near constant explanations for players substandard play. Regardless the actual reason for their substandard play. I'll give a mulligan on one season. But not multiples. I just won't, and Tippet has been that way. The guy always gets the most out of whatever players he has.

Trouble with Larsson is the comments and exchange @harpoon was referring to was in May 2018. The thing is Larsson has been a substandard player here not only that season but additionally LAST season.

Anyway its really positive Tippet is on the beat and calling names. Not too shy that guy.

Credit
It's a new year. Let's just see what he does. I agree with your point that it's good that Tippet is a no-nonsense guy and calls out players. Sometimes that has to be done. One thing the Oilers have been lacking is accountability. Hopefully that will change, but I hope it's a positive culture change too. You can't just come in and call out a bunch of people who you haven't even coached yet without seeing how they perform. Give the team a chance and see. Otherwise it's just perpetuating the negative atmosphere in the room and we all know the Oilers aren't mentally strong enough to get out of that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Hopefully he has learned to cope with it.

But the last 2 years he's looked alot better at the worlds than he does with the oilers.

The Swedish National Team has also been a lot better than the Oilers over the past two years.

It's easier to look good or have fun when you're playing for a winning team.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

You'll learn that in Tippet world there are no excuses. Come to play or gtfo. This seems pretty consistent with McD world too.

Solid.
The biggest blow for Larsson losing his Dad is I feel like he coached him thru the rough periods in his game and now without him he is having to do it himself.

I feel the best thing for him is a coach like Tippett telling it to him straight and not coddling him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's funny how the interpretation of a couple of sentences from a coach can be so completely different depending on your general point of view :laugh:

Great to hear Larsson coming in to this season with the right mind-set and that he has adapted his training to be better. It is also great to see that Tippett is taking an active interest in Adam, and also specifically in the mental part of the game and well-being of the player. Everyone reacts differently to tragedy, I really hope that with the clear support from the coach and probably team mates he will manage to come back and regain his form from a couple of years ago. We definitely need him to be solid this season.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This thread took a weird turn

Not really. Go back to your post 641, note how you wrote it, and from your post one might think a plurality or a lot of posters here were making the same comments about Larsson, that he had played much differently in Sweden then here. Harpoon is mentally sharp, with a great memory, and he recalled that only one poster, myself, had expressed what Tippet said, and that I did that in THIS thread two years ago, as a matter of record, and there were two pages of attacks from other posters for me saying it.

You were there at the time reading those posts. Your memory is apparently less good, that's fine, but occasionally on a messageboard somebody will counter when a recollection, like you expressed, is so absolutely false.

The moral perhaps in this is people could go back to those posts again starting around page 3 and see how poor the reactions were. Or just keep having reactions to even prescient things that are stated.

Turned out I was right, and an NHL head coach is agreeing with my take almost word per word. No biggy, just that a respected poster, Harpoon, wanted to bring this example to attention in the name of fair commentary.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not really. Go back to your post 641, note how you wrote it, and from your post one might think a plurality or a lot of posters here were making the same comments about Larsson, that he had played much differently in Sweden then here. Harpoon is mentally sharp, with a great memory, and he recalled that only one poster, myself, had expressed what Tippet said, and that I did that in THIS thread two years ago, as a matter of record, and there were two pages of attacks from other posters for me saying it.

You were there at the time reading those posts. Your memory is apparently less good, that's fine, but occasionally on a messageboard somebody will counter when a recollection, like you expressed, is so absolutely false.

The moral perhaps in this is people could go back to those posts again starting around page 3 and see how poor the reactions were. Or just keep having reactions to even prescient things that are stated.

Turned out I was right, and an NHL head coach is agreeing with my take almost word per word. No biggy, just that a respected poster, Harpoon, wanted to bring this example to attention in the name of fair commentary.
You got way more flak for how you follow-up that first post than for the initial thought. :laugh:
If you would have left it at the first post there would have been very little reaction I think.

Posters were happy to see him smiling again on the ice, seeing what had happened just a couple of months before that. As I said your first post on it was not a big deal, but going on it became more about other issues rather than the issue you began with (Larsson supposedly injured, going after any poster even mentioning that he could have offense, etc).

Just to be clear, Larsson seemed to be smiling in 16/17, and to me it looks as if he is smiling now (at least I hope so). Tragedy as I said affect people differently, and I think you acknowledged this back then as well. I know OEL talked about the passing away of his mother which had his head spinning even the full season after it happened and that often he felt that he couldn't even go on the ice (of course he did anyway, but it was a bad year for him). Others have probably handled it much better.

It is a touchy subject though so I don't think it is at all surprising to see strong reactions about it.

As I said, I like how he looks and sounds right now and I hope he will come in and have a good year. Also liked Tippet's comments (which to me mean something very different than to you).
We definitely need him to find his game again.

Reactions: Zaddy

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nurse was the Oilers best man by a country mile last season bud.

That’s why we made the playoffs, and had such a low GA... The fact is Nurse was our worst defender defensively last year. He played way to many minutes. Should be down around 20 minutes.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You got way more flak for how you follow-up that first post than for the initial thought. :laugh:
If you would have left it at the first post there would have been very little reaction I think.

Posters were happy to see him smiling again on the ice, seeing what had happened just a couple of months before that. As I said your first post on it was not a big deal, but going on it became more about other issues rather than the issue you began with (Larsson supposedly injured, going after any poster even mentioning that he could have offense, etc).

Just to be clear, Larsson seemed to be smiling in 16/17, and to me it looks as if he is smiling now (at least I hope so). Tragedy as I said affect people differently, and I think you acknowledged this back then as well. I know OEL talked about the passing away of his mother which had his head spinning even the full season after it happened and that often he felt that he couldn't even go on the ice (of course he did anyway, but it was a bad year for him). Others have probably handled it much better.

It is a touchy subject though so I don't think it is at all surprising to see strong reactions about it.

As I said, I like how he looks and sounds right now and I hope he will come in and have a good year. Also liked Tippet's comments (which to me mean something very different than to you).
We definitely need him to find his game again.

Hmmm. I take note of the brunt of posters contributions here in responding to them. Theres several respected contributions here from posters such as yourself who are capable of dialog like we are having.

I make contributions here regularly and express some different or interesting thoughts or insights. Most people here that follow me tend to recognize this and take the agreeable posts with those that they consider are disagreeing takes.

Go back to post 44, 53, read what I wrote, and lots of the same people read that, and liked that comment, and yet a day later are being very reactionary and even angry to some other comments I made and as if I had never first stated posts like 44 and 53. That I was some mean, unforgiving ogre instead of a poster that can meaningfully express a range of thoughts. That can express a nuanced view.

Yes, the reactions to page 3 were immediate, many in response to that first post. but not in context with what I stated entirely in the thread.

I mean we can all attack each other post to post and taking out all context on past exchanges we've had. Or we could be a community that interacts fairly and considers others positions more completely, having read them.

That's all I want to say on this and you're welcome to bring it to pm.

In anycase lets hope Adam Larsson can bring a much better game this season. You know that its been my theory all along that he requires playing with a better D than himself to bring out his best. In Jersey Andy Greene was that D. In Sweden it was OEL and others. The trouble here is that Larsson was brought in to be our #1 D, and he hasn't often been that. I think his play suffers when he doesn't have other partners that can really calm things down and take the pressure off. He's a 2 D at best and maybe even a 3, 4 D. So in usage here, and in expectation here, that's a huge problem. I think its too much to expect him to be the guy. The shutdown guy.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Solid.
I don’t think this comes as a surprise to anyone Larsson himself included. He openly admitted that he felt last year was the worst hockey he’s ever played in the NHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

My recollection was that there was some talk on it from several posters but I may very well be wrong on that front, I don't think I was all that engaged in that discussion so it's hard to remember. For me, it's more about being happy to see Larsson play well and hope that he can bring his A-game this year. That's why I posted this tidbit, because those comments both from Larsson himself and Tippett sounded encouraging to me. I want the best for Larsson (and the team obviously), so if he's in camp in better shape and is actually having fun out there, that's good news to me and that's kind of where I leave it.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My recollection was that there was some talk on it from several posters but I may very well be wrong on that front, I don't think I was all that engaged in that discussion so it's hard to remember. For me, it's more about being happy to see Larsson play well and hope that he can bring his A-game this year. That's why I posted this tidbit, because those comments both from Larsson himself and Tippett sounded encouraging to me. I want the best for Larsson (and the team obviously), so if he's in camp in better shape and is actually having fun out there, that's good news to me and that's kind of where I leave it.

This is the last I want to say on this but you, two years ago, in this thread, were telling me not to post on the subject and questioning why I was even posting on the subject, even though I had reasonable views on the subject, which have now been vindicated by our current coach, if we're being clear. All that you would need to do is go back to page 3, 4, 5 of this thread to see that perhaps your dismissal of what I was stating was not all that reasonable.

Which you conveniently entirely forgot. If accountability for what you said is a weird concept to you let me know.
You were certainly engaged in that discussion, you made multiple posts in the thread at that time.

Last edited:

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I'M GONNA DO IT, BRYAN!

I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT *CENSORED* AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME!

MOD-Don't make me bring out my whup ass stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This is the last I want to say on this but you, two years ago, in this thread, were telling me not to post on the subject and questioning why I was even posting on the subject, even though I had reasonable views on the subject, which have now been vindicated by our current coach, if we're being clear. All that you would need to do is go back to page 3, 4, 5 of this thread to see that perhaps your dismissal of what I was stating was not all that reasonable.

Which you conveniently entirely forgot. If accountability for what you said is a weird concept to you let me know.
You were certainly engaged in that discussion, you made multiple posts in the thread at that time.

That's very disingenuous of you. I went back and looked and I questioned why you were posting on the subject only in response to your comment "Who cares what Larsson did at the WC?". That piece of context is quite important, wonder why you left that out :)

Again, my comments back then was exactly in line with what I mentioned in my previous post here: I want the best for Larsson and I am happy when he plays well. I don't know why I wouldn't want him to do well. He's both an Oiler and a swede so...twice the reason to support him. So just from a quick glance on those early pages of this thread I was expressing joy that he was playing well at the WC, and then you come with your comment "who cares what Larsson did at the WC?", well obviously both me and others did care, so to come in as a negative nancy like that is not a lot of fun and it's probably not weird that you received a lot of pushback after that. Maybe your argument had a point, but you could've worded it a lot more eloquently than you did.

And sorry for not remembering everything I post on here, I am certainly not against accountability but I'm not gonna sit and dig through my entire post history to see if I may or may not be contradicting myself every now and again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad