Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
What does it say about Adam/Edmonton, that he looks so great and confident in the national team, and do mediocre in Edmonton?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What does it say about Adam/Edmonton, that he looks so great and confident in the national team, and do mediocre in Edmonton?

I think Larsson will bounce back next year. I think losing his dad, injuries, and all around team struggles contributed to his down couple of years.

But then again, I think Lucic'll bounce back as well, so I might just be an irrational optimist. ;)

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think you have to hope Larsson bounces back next year. I dont see any other realistic option.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He looked amazing in last years' WC too, where they beat the other top nations who had better lineups than most NHL teams will ever have.

Most NHL teams would utterly smoke most WC teams. This team Canada would lose to most NHL teams.

NHL teams are practiced and experienced together. It's a systems game. The world stage tends to be way more loose. It's the same reason that Oilers rookies aren't clearly favored over MacEwan or Golden Bears teams on a bigger stage in spite of having more talent.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Most NHL teams would utterly smoke most WC teams. This team Canada would lose to most NHL teams.

NHL teams are practiced and experienced together. It's a systems game. The world stage tends to be way more loose. It's the same reason that Oilers rookies aren't clearly favored over MacEwan or Golden Bears teams on a bigger stage in spite of having more talent.
You got it wrong. Team Canada would be a super team. Would easily win the Stanley cup lol

Reactions: MessierII

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think him and Sekera would make a better pair than him and Klef. I don't think Klef thinks the game well enough for big minutes, imo.

Sekera is simply more stable. Klef still has large ups and downs.

Reactions: McLarsonator

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You got it wrong. Team Canada would be a super team. Would easily win the Stanley cup lol

If they went through the process and played a training camp, regular season and so on.

They'd get stomped by a practiced team in an NHL systems game if they were to play one today. We see this actually happen at every level of hockey, every year.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

You got it mostly right. The Bears can beat the Oiler rookies (I think the all-time series is split). But the rookies spanked the MacEwan/NAIT all-star team 9-1 this year. ACAC hockey is a LOT lower level than USport hockey and especially compared to a top team like U of A.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
His contract will run out in a couple of years and that's perfect. Either he re-signs for a decent amount or he can go somewhere else.

He's the same age as Nuge (!!) but I don't like the bad back..

As far as playing well for Sweden, besides the comments posted, he gets to hang out with his countrymen, he's in Sweden, it's the summer and a long and depressing season is behind him. I'm sure he's having a great time.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
This is two poor NHL seasons in a row. Not a small sample.
The storylines were the same after he went to the World's last year about a bounce back season.

Either he puts up in Oiler silks, or he doesn't. And he has leaned heavily towards the latter for the majority of his time here now.
Couldn't give two shakes what he does for Sweden, it means nothing in the NHL.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Player that was never that good, still isn’t good. How surprising.
In his last year in Jersey he had a 56.3% GF% while facing stiff competition and a 69.2% defensive zone start bias, those are certainly very impressive numbers given usage and team strength and his first year in Edmonton he had an impressive 58.2% GF% with an easier zone start bias. In his past 5 seasons he's had 2 great seasons, 2 slightly above average seasons, and 1 truly terrible season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Larsson at his best is a very good defenseman. Easily a #2. He is also very hard to play against. For example he is much more physical than Nurse. I would even call him nasty. I love watching him live working long the boards. In the 2016 playoffs we saw him at his best. He was not only very good defensively and extremely physical, but he actually spent more time jumping up into the play.

One knock on Larsson that I think is undeserved is that he is a black hole offensively. Statistically this is not true. His ES point totals are actually quite good. Since his break out year in 2014-2015 he sits tied for 56th in ES points with 89 in 370 games. Over that same period for example Fowler has 92 points in 355 games and Rasmus Ristolainen has 94 points in 390 games. With the Oilers he has put up 51 ES points in 224 games and only 17 of those came with McDavid on the ice. Given that McDavid is typically in on well over 40% of the Oilers goals that means that he is generating his points without the benefit of McDavids coat tails. Over the same period Sekera has 47 ES points in 221 games. Of the top 4 ES scorers on the backend Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson and Sekera he is the only one with a positive plus minus over his time here.

He is not a flashy player but he is effective. He moves the puck well, is a solid passer and typically he does smart things in the offensive zone. He has actually got a good shot which he does not use as much as he probably could.

2017-2018 I believe can be attributed to a combination of nagging injuries (mostly back) and the loss of his father. I am not sure what happened this year. At times he looked like his old self but at other times he looked like a rookie who was unsure of what to do. Historically he has been a guy whose team came out even or ahead far more than not. This year it seemed that if something could go wrong it would. Very strange.

I expect he will bounce back. But even if he ends up more like a #3 he is still a bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad