Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I hope people realize that team defense helps the defenseman look better. When your forwards especially your Wingers are complete trash it sure makes the job for defenseman that much harder. How many times do our defenseman get it to the Wingers and they bumble it and can't get it out of the defensive Zone?

There are way worse defenseman playing better than our defensemen because they are surrounded by great forwards on the wings who helped them in the defensive Zone getting the puck out, blocking shots breaking upplays, or carrying it out. When you're a shity team even your best players don't look great.

space321

May 11, 2011
So any D who has more points than Klef and Larsson are automatically better than them, okay

Good to know that 50 other Dmen are better than Subban, Weber and Lindholm

What are you trying to say? Do you think Larsson's been rock solid defensively this season?

I don't even know why I bother posting stats, when you lot are obviously biased because of what we traded for him. It's okay to admit we got bent over the table and brutalized.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What are you trying to say? Do you think Larsson's been rock solid defensively this season?

I don't even know why I bother posting stats, when you lot are obviously biased because of what we traded for him. It's okay to admit we got bent over the table and brutalized.
You didn't post anything worth while.

Next time just sort by +/- and that will be about as useful as the stuff you posted.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Throw more rookie dmen to the wolves. Bleed goals against during the D-zone tire fires. Then everyone can cry next year when the Oilers suck again. Good job security for you. ;)

3rd pairing is to the wolves? How many years will it be before you're confident in a guy like Jones playing a 3rd pairing role? Do we just lose him on waivers trying to sneak him down for year 4 of his pro career a little over a year from now? This isn't a Martin Marincin, Colten Teubert, Alex Plante type of a scrub.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
3rd pairing is to the wolves? How many years will it be before you're confident in a guy like Jones playing a 3rd pairing role? Do we just lose him on waivers trying to sneak him down for year 4 of his pro career a little over a year from now? This isn't a Martin Marincin, Colten Teubert, Alex Plante type of a scrub.

You want two rookies on the third pairing.

So you don't want him just playing, you want him anchoring a pairing with another rookie.

I'll call that out as being a bad idea every day. That's past thirteen years bad logic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You want two rookies on the third pairing.

So you don't want him just playing, you want him anchoring a pairing with another rookie.

I'll call that out as being a bad idea every day. That's past thirteen years bad logic.

If it's Jones and Bear they have 2 AHL seasons under their belts and both have some NHL experience to lean on. If it's Jones and Bouch then that's a bit different but Bouch has played a lot of OHL hockey and will be 20 at the start of next season IIRC. If you'd rather keep Russell and not have much cap to upgrade up front then so be it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Given his unreliable play, I'm surprised this is still THAT Larsson thread. Every time I come to post in it I assume there would be a new thread but there's the old mod warning word for word. When at his best Larsson is a very serviceable top 4 d-man, but he has brain cramps that totally destroy the team at times.

If he were on a team poised to go on a cup run he'd be ideal for the 3rd pairing role. If there's an injury he can jump up into that 2nd pairing slot and you just cross your fingers that it doesn't cost you too much. If the impossible happens and Sekera ends up playing like his old self before the end of the 2019 calendar year, I think that the conversation will be how much will we get for Larsson and when will he get traded instead of Sekera of Russell. The later two are at least consistent players, which is vital to performance of a team sport especially when you're talking about players who eat up big minutes.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Adam Larsson will play at the World Championships.

He played great at the World's last year and proceeded to have another **** season so maybe he should sit this year out and focus on getting his head on straight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Adam Larsson will play at the World Championships.

Watch him play better, again, for Sweden, then he does here for his paid gig with the Oilers.

It actually pisses me off that he played this bad this season and injury wasn't even the excuse.

He laid down. He didn't even try to be one of the better players on this team this season. At times he was one of the worst.

Reactions: onetweasy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Larsson hasn't been good this year. He's still a top 4D making 4.1M. Hard to complain about that
There weren't many times this year he looked like a top 4D, especially away from Klefbom.

Unfortunately his value is low so there's not much point in trading him but it might be time to consider moving on from this player.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There weren't many times this year he looked like a top 4D, especially away from Klefbom.

Unfortunately his value is low so there's not much point in trading him but it might be time to consider moving on from this player.
Larsson plays against the hardest match ups. Of course he's not going to look good all season. Acquire a top pairing RHD and bump Larsson down to the middle pairing and his game will improve.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Larsson hasn't been good this year. He's still a top 4D making 4.1M. Hard to complain about that

You mean an owned top 4 D?

He was a traffic directing pylon. "This way to the goal please, enjoy your day"

Larsson was awful this season, bad last season.

I wasn't sure many nights why Gravel was being benched and Larsson was actually in the lineup.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Never been a fan of the player and what he brings but I think your estimation of his value is pretty off even after this past season. There's always a market for RHD and his contract adds a ton of value. A team like the Leafs, for example, would snap him up in a heartbeat IMO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Larsson plays against the hardest match ups. Of course he's not going to look good all season. Acquire a top pairing RHD and bump Larsson down to the middle pairing and his game will improve.
That would be ideal but it's not likely to happen.

He's had such a significant decline from two years ago that it feels more and more like that was the oddity rather than the norm. The fact he's going to the WC is concerning because it means his shit play wasn't a result of injury.

If it's something mental the Oilers need to get him help quick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You mean an owned top 4 D?

He was a traffic directing pylon. "This way to the goal please, enjoy your day"

Larsson was awful this season, bad last season.

I wasn't sure many nights why Gravel was being benched and Larsson was actually in the lineup.
Only you would take Gravel over Larsson. lol

Take Larsson off this team, the Oilers would sink. Take Gravel off this year, the Oilers would just call up Jones

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Never been a fan of the player and what he brings but I think your estimation of his value is pretty off even after this past season. There's always a market for RHD and his contract adds a ton of value. A team like the Leafs, for example, would snap him up in a heartbeat IMO.
A slow defensive defenseman that isn't very good at defense doesn't gather much value no matter what side he's on or what his contract is.

He was brought in because of his defensive prowess and he was beaten like a rug on too many occasions this year especially after Klefbom went down. I'd go so far as to argue he might've been our worst top 4 D this season.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That would be ideal but it's not likely to happen.

He's had such a significant decline from two years ago that it feels more and more like that was the oddity rather than the norm. The fact he's going to the WC is concerning because it means his **** play wasn't a result of injury.

If it's something mental the Oilers need to get him help quick.
Larsson was always a #3. Here and on the Devils. He should never be playing top pairing D in the first place unless being paired with a true #1D. That's not Klef either.

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad