Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
IMO Russell moves to open up some cap for forward help.

Im weary of moving any of our dmen really unless were bringing in a better one.

Move Russell, klefbom hurts himself in TC, and suddenly our top 4 dmen will be

Sekera Larsson
Nurse Benning

Ideally we could move him to free up space, have klef stay healthy, and maybe even a rookie show well and grab a top 4 spot if injuries occur, but counting on klefbom to be healthy is like counting on Lucic for goals.

When your number 1 dman is as fragile as klef, we need to either replace him, or stock the rest of the dcore with guys who have proven they can play in the top 4 imo.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Im weary of moving any of our dmen really unless were bringing in a better one.

Move Russell, klefbom hurts himself in TC, and suddenly our top 4 dmen will be

Sekera Larsson
Nurse Benning

Ideally we could move him to free up space, have klef stay healthy, and maybe even a rookie show well and grab a top 4 spot if injuries occur, but counting on klefbom to be healthy is like counting on Lucic for goals.

When your number 1 dman is as fragile as klef, we need to either replace him, or stock the rest of the dcore with guys who have proven they can play in the top 4 imo.

Guys like Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Laggeson, Day (if we sign him) and Samorukov will be chomping at the bit to get some NHL reps. The hope is that if we improve our forward offense that we can hang into more games if our GA goes up due to a Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera or Nurse injury. These ELC defensemen also allow us more cap to add forwards up front. All of these D with the exception on Laggeson bring much needed puck moving ability from the blueline.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I guess i am going in for a banning but I don’t understand why there is so much love for Laarson. He was a poor mans trade for Hall. That s all. Laasrson sucks, thats it. I hoper Petterdson or Pederrson sucks it tonight. Good luck oilers. Go Gagner and Draisaital

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I guess i am going in for a banningbut I don’t understand why there is so much love for laarson. He was a poor mans trade for Hall. That s all. Laasrson sucks, thats it. I hoper petterdson or pederrson sucks it tonight. Good luck oilers. Gho gagner and draistal

Reactions: LaGu

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Guys like Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Laggeson, Day (if we sign him) and Samorukov will be chomping at the bit to get some NHL reps. The hope is that if we improve our forward offense that we can hang into more games if our GA goes up due to a Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera or Nurse injury. These ELC defensemen also allow us more cap to add forwards up front. All of these D with the exception on Laggeson bring much needed puck moving ability from the blueline.

I just don't want any of them to be expected to be NHL regulars next year. I know they should be, but the less question marks we have going into next season the better.

From what I've read, we should have room to bring in a forward or two next season with the cap going up and us walking away from some of our ufas right?

The forwards 100% need improvement, but if we don't absolutely need the capspace, then we should hold onto Russell. If they bring in a couple of top 6 guys and a third line C and it Russell is the casualty to facilitate those moves, so be it, I just don't want them moving anyone out unless we're greatly improved elsewhere already, or a rookie has already begun proving himself as a good NHL dman.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
It always blows my mind when people think Larsson can't skate, can't pass and can't contribute offensively.

He's not fast, but he's a smooth skater with good technique.

He can pass. If a team is scrambling and has poor puck support, then sometimes passing opportunities aren't there.

Just watch his movement when he actually joins the cycle.

Jesus.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It always blows my mind when people think Larsson can't skate, can't pass and can't contribute offensively.

He's not fast, but he's a smooth skater with good technique.

He can pass. If a team is scrambling and has poor puck support, then sometimes passing opportunities aren't there.

Just watch his movement when he actually joins the cycle.

Jesus.

When he's at his best, sure. But even you have to admit he hasn't been at his best for going on two seasons now. Sure the team in front has problems but given his pedigree and the Price We Had to Pay(TM), you want a guy who can elevate those around him a bit.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
When he's at his best, sure. But even you have to admit he hasn't been at his best for going on two seasons now. Sure the team in front has problems but given his pedigree and the Price We Had to Pay(TM), you want a guy who can elevate those around him a bit.
Maybe Larsson is only as good as a middle pairing D and that's okay. It doesn't matter what we paid for him. It's gone. Just bring in a better RD and move Larsson down to the middle pairing. We have the assets to acquire someone like Hamilton/Spurgeon

Reactions: dustrock

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

We pay him $4.167 million a year. He is exceeding that.

What we used to trade him is irrelevant, any more than expecting Gelinas and Carter to replace Gretzky, or Nicholls to replace Messier.

Larsson is a top pairing Dman at his best, and a middle pairing at worst.
We are paying him middle-pairing money.

Lets not run one of the only competant RHD on a fair contract out of town.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

What we used to trade him is irrelevant, any more than expecting Gelinas and Carter to replace Gretzky, or Nicholls to replace Messier.

lol you mean like we did to petry and schultz

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Maybe Larsson is only as good as a middle pairing D and that's okay. It doesn't matter what we paid for him. It's gone. Just bring in a better RD and move Larsson down to the middle pairing. We have the assets to acquire someone like Hamilton/Spurgeon

LOL no we don't.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Pointing out that he hasn't been up to snuff is not "running him out of town." Christ.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why would the Wild trade their best defenseman for that? Russell has next to no value.
Wilds has to protect Suter, Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon. Spurgeon is the odd man out especially if he doesn't plan on re-signing after next year. They're also rebuilding and their GM is Fenton. Good chance they don't get full value for Spurgeon

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Wilds has to protect Suter, Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon. Spurgeon is the odd man out especially if he doesn't plan on re-signing after next year. They're also rebuilding and their GM is Fenton. Good chance they don't get full value for Spurgeon
Which is still more than our junk defenseman and a pick. If he doesn’t plan on re signing with the Wild why would he re-sign with us?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Which is still more than our junk defenseman and a pick. If he doesn’t plan on re signing with the Wild why would he re-sign with us?
Spurgeon is from Edmonton and spends his summer here. Anyway enough derailing the thread

space321

May 11, 2011

The problem is Larsson is playing BELOW his contract this season.

Klefbom is about evenly paid and Larsson << Klefbom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad