Player Discussion Adam Larsson (Hall talk will result in a thread ban)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Guys like Jones, Bear, Bouchard, Laggeson, Day (if we sign him) and Samorukov will be chomping at the bit to get some NHL reps. The hope is that if we improve our forward offense that we can hang into more games if our GA goes up due to a Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera or Nurse injury. These ELC defensemen also allow us more cap to add forwards up front. All of these D with the exception on Laggeson bring much needed puck moving ability from the blueline.

Throw more rookie dmen to the wolves. Bleed goals against during the D-zone tire fires. Then everyone can cry next year when the Oilers suck again. Good job security for you. ;)

Reactions: imtheboy

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't think Larsson has underperformed at all. I think this is just what he is.

He's a very average, mid-tier defenseman
I think that’s ridiculous. He’s been a very good player on multiple clubs. This is not close to that player. This is far and away the worst he’s ever played in the NHL.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Adam Larson is the best right shot defensemen in our entire system by a wide margin.

Not much else you can say really. Can he be better sure. Does he need help? Absolutely.

space321

May 11, 2011
I think that’s ridiculous. He’s been a very good player on multiple clubs. This is not close to that player. This is far and away the worst he’s ever played in the NHL.

He was a "top pairing" defenseman on a terrible NJ team. The same arguments people use to discredit our ex-players (Hall/Eberle) apparently does not apply to Larsson's time in NJ.

Larsson's the definition of average, he got carried by Klefbom two years ago when Klef was playing out of his mind. Larsson got a nice goal + lucky bounce against the Ducks so his boxscore looks nice. But it's not a coincidence that Larsson's level of play has dropped while Klefbom struggled.

Reactions: MikeYEG

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That says more about the state of our D than Larsson.

This. It's like saying him and Klefbom and Larsson are top pairing Ds. They are...on a team a D poor as Edmonton. It's why I always say you need someone equal or better than Klefbom to have some D stability come next year

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Adam Larson is the best right shot defensemen in our entire system by a wide margin.

Not much else you can say really. Can he be better sure. Does he need help? Absolutely.

Yippie he shoots right but it's not really even that important seeing as how he brings little to no offence with that right shot.

He's really not any better than Sekera or Russell.

Reactions: space321

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yippie he shoots right but it's not really even that important seeing as how he brings little to no offence with that right shot.

He's really not any better than Sekera or Russell.
Larsson on a good day is a #2. On a bad day he's a #5.

Sekera is a #4 most of the time. On a good day a #3 and on a bad day is a #6.

Russell is a #5 that's being asking to play like a #4. At best he's a #4 and on a bad day he's a #6.

Not comparable

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He was a "top pairing" defenseman on a terrible NJ team. The same arguments people use to discredit our ex-players (Hall/Eberle) apparently does not apply to Larsson's time in NJ.

Larsson's the definition of average, he got carried by Klefbom two years ago when Klef was playing out of his mind. Larsson got a nice goal + lucky bounce against the Ducks so his boxscore looks nice. But it's not a coincidence that Larsson's level of play has dropped while Klefbom struggled.
How did Larsson end up like +23 and klefbom a +7 if he was carried?
They both complimented each other and played well.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The problem is Larsson is playing BELOW his contract this season.

Klefbom is about evenly paid and Larsson << Klefbom.
Larsson isn't playing below his contract, it's much more that Klef is playing waaaaaaay above his. Their cap hits are 77th and 79th among defensemen in the entire league, which would make them mid tier #3s based on contract. Klef is playing as a top end #2 bordering on a #1, but saying Larsson is an average #3 is bang on for this year.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Russell is a #5 that's being asking to play like a #4. At best he's a #4 and on a bad day he's a #6.

Not comparable

Larsson is not much better than Sekera if at all IMO, they are very comparable. Given a choice between the two being healthy, I'd probably take Sekera actually. Does more on the ice.

space321

May 11, 2011
Larsson isn't playing below his contract, it's much more that Klef is playing waaaaaaay above his. Their cap hits are 77th and 79th among defensemen in the entire league, which would make them mid tier #3s based on contract. Klef is playing as a top end #2 bordering on a #1, but saying Larsson is an average #3 is bang on for this year.

Absolutely not for this season. In 2016-2017 sure, but this year Klef's like an average #3 and Larsson's like a #4.

On a contending team, Larsson's like the prototypical 4D. Give him ~17 EV minutes per game against the opponents secondary threats, and with heavy PK minutes as well. He can't play PP. Right now he is being tasked with 22 minutes per game and he is struggling with it.

space321

May 11, 2011

Not comparable

I feel our D corps have been so bad that some of you don't even know what a good #2D looks like.

space321

May 11, 2011
Playoffs Larsson playing 45mins was an okay #2D don't you think. We've seen how good he can be. Maybe this isn't his season.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you were talking about a 1 game sample size over two years ago lol. If that's the case, on a bad day Larsson's a healthy scratch.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
i shudder to think what would happen if we traded Larsson for a winger and we had Russell/Bouchard/Bear as our #1 RHD.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah I dunno. I'm no professional but he doesn't look any different to me. He just went a huge stretch without Klefbom to carry him

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Absolutely not for this season. In 2016-2017 sure, but this year Klef's like an average #3 and Larsson's like a #4.

On a contending team, Larsson's like the prototypical 4D. Give him ~17 EV minutes per game against the opponents secondary threats, and with heavy PK minutes as well. He can't play PP. Right now he is being tasked with 22 minutes per game and he is struggling with it.
I'd love to see a list of ~75 defensemen better than Klefbom and 100-110 better than Larsson to justify that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Lmao list all the D better than klefbom, he’s playing like a high end #2 this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->