Tribute Adam Larsson Appreciation Thread

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, I'm really surprised and a bit shocked by this! Very disappointed, too.

Larsson had 3 (of five) really strong seasons for Edmonton, and is the hardest Oiler to play against for the opposition. Losing him now leaves a big, big hole. The Oilers were already too easy to play against, and that problem just got multiplied.

I guess the Keith signing makes a little more sense now in that Holland was feeling the pressure to get a strong defensive D back there, probably knowing that Larsson was likely to go. (They still got fleeced, though.)

Unfortunately, I think this is a bigger blow than is apparent to most of us now. Larsson and Nurse are the only Oilers that were hard to play against. Now, there is basically Nurse alone, and I feel the organization is putting too much pressure on his shoulders. If he doesn't play as well as he did last (short) season -- which is very possible -- the team is basically screwed now, I fear.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Couldn't the extra 400K have been the reason he left? It might not seem much in the grand scheme, but it still is a lot of money.

I'm guessing Larsson was wooed by the big defensive team they were building....he might actually be a better fit.

Also....I agree with Adams assessment that he has a better shot of winning with an expansion team of 4th liners than he does with a Canadian team with Drai and McDavid.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Never was his biggest fan, but still bummed to see him go because that creates another hole I don't trust our GM to fill.

Can't blame a guy for wanting a change of scenery either given all he went through here and the fact that this franchise keeps spinning its wheels.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Never was his biggest fan, but still bummed to see him go because that creates another hole I don't trust our GM to fill.

Can't blame a guy for wanting a change of scenery either given all he went through here and the fact that this franchise keeps spinning its wheels.

I trust Holland, but what can he do when someone possessing Larsson's specific combination of defensive IQ and physical attributes isn't easily replaceable?
Maybe Tanev, Manson, and Cernak can bring everything that he brought, but look at how highly coveted those players are now.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I trust Holland, but what can he do when someone possessing Larsson's specific combination of defensive IQ and physical attributes isn't easily replaceable?
Maybe Tanev, Manson, and Cernak can bring everything that he brought, but look at how highly coveted those players are now.
Manson has fallen off a cliff.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'll add I always liked the Larsson trade.....in the sense that Larsson was the target.

I still think they should have had a late 1st/b prospect coming back as well for value but I liked the target.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As above, I too liked the trade albeit with at least a second to even it out.

Larsson was an absolute beast that first season and ok for us this last... in between not so much.

Thanks Larsson for one awesome year/post season.

PS: Please play like you did in between your two best years with us against every opponent except Calgary and Toronto. You can go beast mode on those two franchises as much as you like.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Very rarely do teams who are close to the top of theconference trade top 4 Dmen that they don’t have a replacement for at the deadline even if they’re pending UFAs.

Yes, it was a damned if you do/don't situation and I realise they aren't moved from playoff teams at the deadline often. The key word is "never", meaning from day 1 of the trade. If he never felt comfortable in Edmonton, he had numerous off seasons to ask for a trade out. Like I said, I'm just pissed to lose Larsson for nothing (and Hall) when things were sounding like he was going to stick around. It's the stuff coming out after the fact that stings and has changed my opinion of him.

It's a different scenario but in a way similar. When I wanted to transfer out from my previous location, I was forward and honest with my immediate supervisor and my regional manager. They both respected me for being up front and telling them I was submitting a request of transfer when the competition came open, instead of getting a call one day and hearing it from someone else.

At the end of the day, I view trades and UFA signings as nothing more than job transfers. Sometimes you're forced to a new location without warning, sometimes you ask, sometimes you get to choose where you go.

(thought I'd reply in this thread instead of R&P).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yes, it was a damned if you do/don't situation and I realise they aren't moved from playoff teams at the deadline often. The key word is "never", meaning from day 1 of the trade. If he never felt comfortable in Edmonton, he had numerous off seasons to ask for a trade out. Like I said, I'm just pissed to lose Larsson for nothing (and Hall) when things were sounding like he was going to stick around. It's the stuff coming out after the fact that stings and has changed my opinion of him.

It's a different scenario but in a way similar. When I wanted to transfer out from my previous location, I was forward and honest with my immediate supervisor and my regional manager. They both respected me for being up front and telling them I was submitting a request of transfer when the competition came open, instead of getting a call one day and hearing it from someone else.

At the end of the day, I view trades and UFA signings as nothing more than job transfers. Sometimes you're forced to a new location without warning, sometimes you ask, sometimes you get to choose where you go.

(thought I'd reply in this thread instead of R&P).
Guessing he’s not the type to publicly demand a trade or complain publicly like that. Guessing it was 4 years of piled on hate from fans that made him decide he didn’t want 4 more

I respect that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Guessing he’s not the type to publicly demand a trade or complain publicly like that. Guessing it was 4 years of piled on hate from fans that made him decide he didn’t want 4 more

I respect that.

Not publicly, no that's for sure he doesn't seem the type but there are trades where it wasn't revealed until after that one player requested out X number of weeks/months ago and it was kept under wraps.

Was it the fans or more so the media always mocking the "1 for 1" Mckenzie tweet? I can understand his uneasiness knowing who he was traded for and the expectations put on him here but the hate always was geared towards Chiarelli for not getting more for Hall or so I thought and was lead to believe. Fans, including myself crapped on Larsson from time to time but 'hate' is also a pretty strong word. I think those that had a hate for him were pretty few but I could be wrong.

oilinger

Jul 11, 2016
Not that it really makes a difference or is anyone's business that much, but I don't think he's ever mentioned or talked about a girlfriend period at any point in New Jersey or Edmonton or having a girl in Sweden or whatever.

Whatever floats his boat. If he feels he'd more comfortable in Seattle for that reason, I'd get it.

Larsson has a girlfriend of about 3 years standing. She's from Sweden and lives here during the season with him. She is close with Drai's GF and she and Adam just spent a week vacationing at Drai's house on Mallorca in June.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not publicly, no that's for sure he doesn't seem the type but there are trades where it wasn't revealed until after that one player requested out X number of weeks/months ago and it was kept under wraps.

Was it the fans or more so the media always mocking the "1 for 1" Mckenzie tweet? I can understand his uneasiness knowing who he was traded for and the expectations put on him here but the hate always was geared towards Chiarelli for not getting more for Hall or so I thought and was lead to believe. Fans, including myself crapped on Larsson from time to time but 'hate' is also a pretty strong word. I think those that had a hate for him were pretty few but I could be wrong.
Pretty few but only takes a few to make a lot of noise I guess. He did take a lot of crap 2/3 years ago as well. Dude was a whipping boy for a lot of fans.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
The decade of darkness didn't have a consistent cycle breaking defenseman who didn't handle the puck like a hand grenade. Larsson wasn't pretty but he did his job well when healthy. Doubted him at times for his lack of offense but he will be missed.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks son of Lars. I know it wouldn't been easy being traded one for one for Hallsy, but you've been great during your time here and we appreciate it. I hope you enjoy your time in Seattle and you can stay healthy and have a long career.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
That's crazy. He believes he has a better chance to win with a brand new expansion team instead of with Mcdavid and Draisaitl.

Something is in the water man....

As others said, he had a tragedy here, and want to move on with life. So good luck to him.
Now Holland has a hole to fill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad