Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You'd have a problem with talking like a regular human being while you're at work? Funny, I work in the media and I don't have that problem at all.
This isn't a regular job though - locker room talk is a thing, and not always appropriate for 13 year olds..

“We’re not big on school,†LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ â€
If he was going to be a pro ball player, maybe... But right now you're just distorting his view of reality. Hopefully Adam has well invested because based on this story, I don't think Drake will ever stand on his own two feet. Sheltering and spoon feeding isn't generally a recipe for successful parenting unless you can sustain it throughout their life.

All I'm saying is some environments are not appropriate for kids of any age despite how you yourself act in similar situations.
I agree. If you're not part of the club, you're not welcome to utilize the club house... Drake being fortunate enough to be in there the odd time and meet a bunch of professional ball players is already more then most kids ever get.

That team is in a bad spot, too. These guys are supposed to be preparing themselves for the season and they're here whining about a kid not allowed in their clubhouse to hang out everyday....after the team has been garbage for several years.

I guess none of them have ever heard "productivity brings flexibility" ... Do well and ask for things. If you suck, shut up and get better.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...aroche-drake-laroche-kenny-williams/81993428/

PHOENIX - Now, do we really think Chicago White Sox executive vice president Ken Williams acted alone here, going out of his way to alienate his own team and have one of its most popular players abruptly quit in anger?

In the wake of Adam LaRoche’s surprise retirement, there are plenty of spinning narratives, as management, LaRoche and his teammates all testify within the court of public opinion.

And while the early evidence frames this as a Williams vs. LaRoche battle over clubhouse time for LaRoche’s son, multiple baseball officials with direct knowledge of the Adam LaRoche brouhaha told USA TODAY Sports a different tale.

Several players and staff members privately complained to White Sox management recently about the constant presence of LaRoche’s 14-year-old son, Drake, in the clubhouse. Drake LaRoche, multiple people say, was with the team about 120 games during the 2015 season.

The officials spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the club has forbid officials from commenting.

FWIW, Nightengale is easily the most tied-in national writer with the club, so no surprise whoever came to him with this.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't really see any way to read this situation other than the fact that it speaks to catastrophic and irreconcilable problems internal to the White Sox. I personally think LaRoche wanting to have his son around so much is pretty dumb, and I believe the narrative that multiple people complained anonymously about it, and Williams decided to intervene and take a bullet, which is more or less the way he is trying to spin in.

Even so, or even if I am completely wrong and Williams just made a calculated move to force a huge contract off the books, the fact that the reactions have exploded like this speaks to much greater dysfunctions. It's completely inconceivable to me that Sale and other players were personally invested in Adam LaRoche's son hanging around for 120 games. The White Sox are a joke, and Williams or whoever is actually in charge should blow it up.

I haven't paid close attention to Sale's antics, but I tend to agree with his original sentiment that executives like Williams should stay the **** out of the locker room situation.

Edit: actually read the full Nightengale piece, which I should have done before commenting. Certainly doesn't make LaRoche look very good, which I suspect is almost everyone's basic assumption. The issue as I see it is that there are still pre-existing factions and fractures in that locker room, to a pretty extreme degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
that report makes perfect sense

clearly there were player(s) who complained which prompted williams to do something. williams isn't in the clubhouse as much as the players are, obviously he wouldn't just decide to limit the kid's presence in there without getting complaints about it.

seems like sale is on his way to completely burning all bridges with the sox organization, and over something so stupid like this. if this keeps up i'd be shocked if he wasn't traded

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
There are cliques in every locker room. It's not surprising some are upset that LaRoche left and some aren't.

I would at least hope those teammates and staff complaining had the fortitude to talk to Adam about it before going straight to the boss. I hate coworkers who do that crap.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
that report makes perfect sense

clearly there were player(s) who complained which prompted williams to do something. williams isn't in the clubhouse as much as the players are, obviously he wouldn't just decide to limit the kid's presence in there without getting complaints about it.

seems like sale is on his way to completely burning all bridges with the sox organization, and over something so stupid like this. if this keeps up i'd be shocked if he wasn't traded

What? And even then, who's going to pay that price?

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
What a fragile clubhouse it is if it completely fractures over a 14 year old kid. And calling him a leader is quite hilarious and pathetic if true

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't think you understand how high of a price that Sale would command.

if the sox make sale available, there will be at least one team willing to sell the farm to land him

and is anyone else laughing their rears off over eaton's comments calling the kid a "leader"? this is now starting to look like the script of a bad movie

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
This is one of the most baffling stories in sports, and we literally had the Indecision less than a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad