Adam Laroche retires, debacle ensues

ytsur*

He goes to a normal high school from October-March and is homeschooled/given assignments from his school from March-June +September.

Kid is almost old enough to work (not that he ever has to).

It'd be cute if the kid was </= 10 years old, but 14? He probably goes to school with kids who are draft eligible, and he's playing batboy with a make-believe stall?

This clearly isn't Drake's dream.

Adam's going to have a nervous breakdown if his son ever moves away. Good lord, what an awkward story.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
He goes to a normal high school from October-March and is homeschooled/given assignments from his school from March-June +September.

Actually seems like a pretty awesome youth. I mean it's not like you only hang out with your dad, you hang out with your dad's friends and co-workers, who aren't insurance brokers after all but professional athletes.

With regards to adjustment, I don't know, he's a pro athlete's kid, he's hardly going to have a normal upbringing. I doubt sending him off to boarding school is going to lead to a better adjustment. And the 'regular youth' of just going to your local public H.S. yeah I guess that has never effed anyone up.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I get where Williams is coming from but you need to take the temperature of your locker room a little better. LaRoche is off your team in a year, put up with his kid this year and then institute your policy limiting kids in the club house next year. Especially if you already had an understanding (especially in writing but even only verbally) that the kid could be with dad all the time.

I appreciate "looking into all areas where the club can be better" or whatever but this feels like a solution in search of a problem.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
You'd sell your son out for 13 million? Good to know.

Not sure if you're talking to me or how you would gather that from what I said. I wouldn't sell my son out for anything, but you have to encourage them to go live their own life and be their own man. It's parenting. Nobody can be together 100% of the time and really shouldn't be if you want them to develop any sense of identity or individual for their life once you can't be there for them.

Just like parents putting their kids in a daycare, it's not like they want to but they have to for their future. $13 million will go much further in his son's life and his grandkids lives than having Drake play ballboy for 9 months.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I'll say that I'm not really a big fan of his kid being in the clubhouse all the time...but if that was in his contract, KW is to blame on this one. You don't sign a guy and promise him something in the contract, only to turn your back on it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You'd have a problem with talking like a regular human being while you're at work? Funny, I work in the media and I don't have that problem at all.

Actuaries. Line Cooks. Professional athlete. Night club manager. All 4 have places of work yes. I'll let you finish the rest of the thought process.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sale is showing why any player who may have had issues likely secretly went to Williams. I believe that to be the reason for entire situation and have no doubt that a player or players have issues with kid in lockerroom 24-7 ,, Sale and others thru intimidation are clearly keeping those voices quiet

Sale continues to drag this situation out and if he doesn't end his nonsense the only recourse for Sox will be to suspend him

DyerMaker66*

Actuaries. Line Cooks. Professional athlete. Night club manager. All 4 have places of work yes. I'll let you finish the rest of the thought process.

Some people are ********** and you're okay with that?

DyerMaker66*

Not sure if you're talking to me or how you would gather that from what I said.

Yes, I am talking to you. You said "$13 million dollars we can use more than me playing ballboy." That would be selling your son out for $13 million.
I wouldn't sell my son out for anything, but you have to encourage them to go live their own life and be their own man.

I don't know, man. Don't most parents attempt to teach their kids their trade?

It's parenting. Nobody can be together 100% of the time and really shouldn't be if you want them to develop any sense of identity or individual for their life once you can't be there for them.
Get real. He's a professional athlete, not Johnny Pencil-pusher. He's living his dream and he wants to share it with his kid. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Just like parents putting their kids in a daycare, it's not like they want to but they have to for their future.
More like they have to because 3 year-olds can't watch themselves. It's in no way the same thing.
$13 million will go much further in his son's life and his grandkids lives than having Drake play ballboy for 9 months.
Give me a break! The guy's been making 10+ million for years. His grandkids' futures should already be taken care of.

Teaching your child that sticking with family is more important than money is an invaluable lesson. You're also looking at this as though he's you or me, but he isn't. He's a millionaire with enough money to last several lifetimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This is why the White Sox go nowhere. There is an air of total dysfunction there.

No wonder no one would want to speak up. Chris Sale seems unhinged.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sale has been so annoying through all this

but in all honesty, does the kid really need to be in there 24/7? williams didn't ban the kid completely, just wanted to limit the time he spent in there. i don't buy frazier's quote that no player had an issue with the kid being in there.

clearly at least one guy went to management and said something or else this wouldn't have been an issue at all. now if there really was something in laroche's contract about the kid then this is just the start of one huge mess

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
“We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ ”

I have nothing wrong with this. Like I said before, LaRoche did the same thing as a kid, as did a lot of other sons of former players. Chris & Kyle Long being two notables.

I think his friends are insanely jealous of his circumstance. Not lie he's spending a month in regular school either.

LaRoche was likely done this fall anyway, so his kid would still have 3 years of "normal" school.

KW didn't make this a big mess ,, Chris Sale made this a big mess

His conduct cant be accepted by team

Actually Williams did. Sale is right in saying he has no business being involved with the clubhouse, especially when 0 players nor the manager had an issue with LaRoche's son being there. Management needs to stay in the press box and the office.

sale's "side" is standing up for himself and at least some of his teammates. there's nothing wrong with that. i'm curious which side david robertson would be on w/r/t boycotting the game.
]

Which I applaud. As the face of the franchise, its a good showing to your team mates that you wont back down nor let anything slide.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The fact that Kenny Williams is still even working for the White Sox is mind boggling. I guess Hahn is really just a figurehead.

But if the White Sox want to go down the road of suspending or stupidly even dispatching Sale, fine by me.

We'll even take back Avisail Garcia.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The fact that Kenny Williams is still even working for the White Sox is mind boggling. I guess Hahn is really just a figurehead.

But if the White Sox want to go down the road of suspending or stupidly even dispatching Sale, fine by me.

We'll even take back Avisail Garcia.

You've got that backwards.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Actually Williams did. Sale is right in saying he has no business being involved with the clubhouse, especially when 0 players nor the manager had an issue with LaRoche's son being there. Management needs to stay in the press box and the office..

You don't actually believe this do you?

Sale and his faction are clearly making it so any opposition cant be voiced publically

You really think KW just all of a sudden decided to walk down and talk to Laroche for no reason other then KW wanting to ban kid?

Clearly a player or players went to him because they were unwilling to speak up publically to Laroche and the other fanatics in clubhouse

Sale's actions since this situation came about only further support the reality that no player could speak up against Laroche's kid without being made an outcast

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Yeah, and if they're found out to have complained Sale and his crew will give that unfortunate man a purple nurple and steal his lunch money.

Seriously though, it could be that Williams wanted to "clean house" of distractions, and just greatly underestimated the debacle this would become.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

You've got that backwards.

Yeah, very clear to anyone paying attention that it's Hahn's team and KW is a figurehead for JR.

He's here to take the fall on this kind of garbage, because he doesn't give a crap what people think of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad